Preview Changes v Sydney, Rd 8

I named the key wingman/outside mids from the past eight premiership sides (hence Hills inclusion). Clearly there’s a trend to a type of player there, which Brayshaw doesn’t fit into. No one thing specifically costs you a grand final win, but you do need as many pieces of the puzzle squared away to give you the best possible chance of winning it. Brayshaw on a wing sticks out like dog’s nurries to me as one of the clear ‘square peg round hole’ area of our 22 that could be better.
The players named through these flags average 17 disposals and 0.8 goals a game. Hardly a premiership winning position. Given that our system is based on being a really hard team to score against once I50 (~30% conversion) I'm taking Gus pushing back to effect that over sending him into the guts where he has been largely ineffectual since 2018. And I love Rivers, but he is settled an important to the backline. We have enough changes to make forward and back without bringing the wing position into it.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think I said we shoe horned Rivers into defence, we might have but I was wrong hes a natural defender. He's desperate. I wouldn't move him.

Wingers need to run. Gus can, no one else on our list except Tmac could fill that role.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I think I said we shoe horned Rivers into defence, we might have but I was wrong hes a natural defender. He's desperate. I wouldn't move him.

Wingers need to run. Gus can, no one else on our list except Tmac could fill that role.
Rivers was drafted as a rebounding defender. I’m more than happy with him staying there.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sparrow and Chandler need to come in for Jones and Baker after excellent games in the VFL.

I’d prefer Petty given a chance for Tomlinson, and Weid comes in for Slick if his suspension stands. If not, Weid stays in the VFL for at least another week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
The players named through these flags average 17 disposals and 0.8 goals a game. Hardly a premiership winning position. Given that our system is based on being a really hard team to score against once I50 (~30% conversion) I'm taking Gus pushing back to effect that over sending him into the guts where he has been largely ineffectual since 2018. And I love Rivers, but he is settled an important to the backline. We have enough changes to make forward and back without bringing the wing position into it.

17 possessions by a wingman who breaks lines, carries the prune an extra few hundred metres a game and who delivers a few lace out to your key forwards, might mean the difference between silverware in the trophy cabinet and twenty years of whining over what might’ve been.

Gus Brayshaw simply ‘ain’t that type of player. He ‘ain’t a wingman’s freckle.

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.
In saying that A 33 year old Jones played better than A quarter of the team on Sunday.
Outplayed ANB, Melksham, Big Ben, Baker (not that that's a surprise that a veteran is outplaying a fringe player.Hes less than a Fringe player)
and Gus Brayshaw.

Jones stays till he plays a Howler

Assuming he plays, interested to see if Buddy comes in to replace McLean or whether he takes a small or mid sized forward's spot. Given McLean kicked 4 would be rough him being dropped. Might be Buddy in for Sinclair instead and they go predominantly with Hickey as the sole ruck.

If that's the case, I don't see the need for another tall in defence. Instead, push Brayshaw back to play a similar role to what he did against the Cats. TMac and Jackson switch out the wing role opposite to Langdon. And if we need the defensive support the TMac is there.

Provided the weather isn't too bad then we could totally stretch out the Swans defence ourselves with 3 of Weid / Brown / Jackson / TMac in the F50.

In: Sparrow, Weid
Out: Baker, Tomlinson

Edit: Changed to reflect Fritsch free to play.

Last edited:

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can Baker stay gone? I will never knock his effort, but he is an absolute VFL level butcher.

I feel we've advanced to the point that picking blokes who try but have bad skills is not longer the only option we've got.

17 possessions by a wingman who breaks lines, carries the prune an extra few hundred metres a game and who delivers a few lace out to your key forwards, might mean the difference between silverware in the trophy cabinet and twenty years of whining over what might’ve been.

Gus Brayshaw simply ‘ain’t that type of player. He ‘ain’t a wingman’s freckle.
Kamdyn McIntosh got 9 touches in the 2017 GF and Richmond won by 10 goals.

In those 8 GF's you mentioned, the 16 wingers from winning sides combined for a total of 1 Norm Smith Medal vote and 3 mentions in their teams best players.

Our wings are functioning fine. Why you'd want to muck around with them when we're forces to maker changes forward and back beats me

Last edited:

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
So now we are pulling apart the forward line that worked to fix the back line that worked.
It might well work but sh*t there's red flags everywhere here.
You're right, but at 7-0 we can afford to experiment a little. TMac did look solid down back in the 2nd half. I actually rate Petty. He's looked very solid at VFL level but I'd give TMac first crack with Weid to come in. If we can find the right fit next few weeks while maybe only dropping a game, i don't think that's too bad a result..

Assuming he plays, interested to see if Buddy comes in to replace McLean or whether he takes a small or mid sized forward's spot. Given McLean kicked 4 would be rough him being dropped. Might be Buddy in for Sinclair instead and they go predominantly with Hickey as the sole ruck.

If that's the case, I don't see the need for another tall in defence. Instead, push Brayshaw back to play a similar role to what he did against the Cats. TMac and Jackson switch out the wing role opposite to Langdon. And if we need the defensive support the TMac is there.

Provided the weather isn't too bad then we could totally stretch out the Swans defence ourselves with 3 of Weid / Brown / Jackson / TMac in the F50.

In: Sparrow, Weid
Out: Baker, Tomlinson

Edit: Changed to reflect Fritsch free to play.
I'm guessing they'd drop Sinclair as McLean is a giant bloke, who I believe was drafted as a ruck primarily.

Rhysswans13

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm guessing they'd drop Sinclair as McLean is a giant bloke, who I believe was drafted as a ruck primarily.
I think our changes this week will be Rampe for Melican who pulled his hamstring. Hewett to return from concussion in place of Ryan Clarke who was our sub on the weekend and Franklin to come in for Dylan Stephens. With Sam Reid out I think we keep Sinclair and McLean in our team for this game.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
You're right, but at 7-0 we can afford to experiment a little. TMac did look solid down back in the 2nd half. I actually rate Petty. He's looked very solid at VFL level but I'd give TMac first crack with Weid to come in. If we can find the right fit next few weeks while maybe only dropping a game, i don't think that's too bad a result..

I still don't feel safe for top 4 that's my issue. We blew the same position basically in 04/05

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Kamdyn McIntosh got 9 touches in the 2017 GF and Richmond won by 10 goals.

In those 8 GF's you mentioned, the 16 wingers from winning sides combined for a total of 1 Norm Smith Medal vote and 3 mentions in their teams best players.

Our wings are functioning fine. Why you'd want to muck around with them when we're forces to maker changes forward and back beats me

I used your own stat of a 17 possession wingman then you return serve with the single example of K.McIntosh’s quiet GF in 2017? WTF that’s not a counter argument.

Neither is an analysis of Norm Smith Medal voting. 75% of votes in it, like the Brownlow, are raffled amongst the inside mids.

Gus Brayshaw isn’t a wingman. He’s a plodding but very capable inside midfielder. 17 touches from him isn’t going to be anywhere near us damaging as 17 touches from a Brad Hill or a Shai Bolton. That’s indisputable.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I used your own stat of a 17 possession wingman then you return serve with the single example of K.McIntosh’s quiet GF in 2017? WTF that’s not a counter argument.

Neither is an analysis of Norm Smith Medal voting. 75% of votes in it, like the Brownlow, are raffled amongst the inside mids.

Gus Brayshaw isn’t a wingman. He’s a plodding but very capable inside midfielder. 17 touches from him isn’t going to be anywhere near us damaging as 17 touches from a Brad Hill or a Shai Bolton. That’s indisputable.
Shai boltoj isn't a bloody winger. We literally have Kozzy playing the same role ffs.

Back