Preview Changes v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

We beat Sydney in R4 last year, 5 months (almost to the day) before we played them in the finals. After R4 this year, Sydney were still getting visits from Owen. A lot happens in 5 months.

This year we're playing them on the eve of the finals, and we have the opportunity to knock them out of top-4 considerations. Even contemplating the possibility of not doing our best to do that is insane.

There's little benefit to resting players in R22, given that there's a bye after R23.
Look, I'm going to be honest with you. I am a big believer in the mental side of sport, which is part of my reasoning behind supporting resting, as I believe it's beneficial for the mind as well as the body.

That said, I can't see us deriving any significant psychological benefit by beating Sydney this week unless we do so by a large margin, which I think is unlikely to happen even if Walker and Sloane play. From our players perspective, doubts about whether we can do the same in finals will remain, and from the perspective of the Sydney players, they'll still have the belief that they can beat us in finals because they did as recently as last year.

I'm willing to concede there is value in keeping them out of the top four, but that has never been something I argued against.

I can't believe that people are still talking about resting players when it seems abundantly clear that Pyke has no intention to do so. The next 2 games we will go in full strength I have no doubt provided the 22 have been deemed fit to play. If we beat Sydney and are guaranteed top spot I still don't see anything changing for round 23 bar injuries.
In fact if we win our QF I hope Pyke puts the boys through decent training sessions in our 2nd week off to make sure we don't come out flat for the PF. The last thing I want to see is a repeat of the Hawks game when we came off the bye.

A - Team continuity (direct from Pyke)
B - Maintaining winning form (direct from Pyke)
C - Prevents Sydney from making the top-4, making their task of winning the flag harder
D - Establishes a mental edge over Sydney on the eve of the finals

Given that Sloane & Walker both got through training today, the risk is minimal - the risk/benefit analysis is strongly in favour of playing them.
I'm agreeing with Vader...

I may have to reconsider my position.

lol so just like the final round in 2005 against West C then? When we also had nothing to gain but plenty to lose. That mental edge really helped us 3 weeks later!
We lost at home Round 1 v West Coast and West Coast were never headed for top spot until we beat them on a 9 game winning streak to eventually take top spot and the Minor Premiership for the 1st time. The Finals were then set up that we played St Kilda at Home while West Coast played Sydney in Perth. We played Port ( Dream Final) and more got ahead of ourselves, especially as we led at half time, rather than ''it didnt help us'' . I could argue it was the Round 1 loss against WC that gave WC more of an edge in belief than any 'revenge' for 3 weeks earlier

Link to 2005 season

Look, I'm going to be honest with you. I am a big believer in the mental side of sport, which is part of my reasoning behind supporting resting, as I believe it's beneficial for the mind as well as the body.

That said, I can't see us deriving any significant psychological benefit by beating Sydney this week unless we do so by a large margin

You don't let legitimate opposition beat you anytime......even the warm up :) Trust me, they do not want to lose to Sydney no matter what.

The only thing that matters since beating Essendon and securing a top 2 spot is preparing for our first final.

We could prepare for the first final... by gaining a psychological advantage over our rivals

I would love nothing better than beating Swans as spent a lot of hard earn cash to go to final in Sydney last year for game to be over by qtr time basically and that germ still plays for them. Also keep them out of top 4 .
Not sure about Sloanes knee, Kellys knee, and Talia, but absolutely Tex carrying few injuries and surely a game off here not to rest but ensure no further damage has to be a sensible precaution and if any of three don't play we are getting a opportunity to give someone a pressure game to see how they cope if we happened to need them in finals.
I personally would love to Seedsman get a game to see if can perform as has more ability than a lot in team.

I think any player with any injury issue must be rested this week. If they are 100% fine, then play them otherwise give them the opportunity to rest now rather than breakdown in September.

Our ability to win the flag this year is going to be directly proportional to the injury list of our key players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unchanged

Team%20Graphic%20R22%202017.jpg

I gather if we rest any of our players, they will probably be named tonight & late out tomorrow to keep Sydney guessing.

Very unlikely Walker will be rested, we haven't named any replacement for him on the emergencies. Can't see Sloane being a late out either.

Very unlikely Walker will be rested, we haven't named any replacement for him on the emergencies. Can't see Sloane being a late out either.
I haven't seen the team, but we wouldn't replace Tex with a tall any way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back