Preview Changes v Sydney, Rd 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Our three highest scores this year are 102 (GWS), 103 (NM) and 104 (Hawthorn), all on occasions where we’ve struggled for rhythm against out of form or weaker sides and have probably been the three games where we’ve been challenged for the longest. Did have our fewest scoring shots in a game today though. We’ve started kicking a bit straighter, inside 50 efficiency today (54%) as high as it’s been all year barring the Saints game (when we went at 72% which seems ridiculous but ultimately sprayed our shots on goal so probably were a few unrealistic attempts). Lesson is that every week there is something different which isn’t working but enough goes right that it hasn’t mattered yet. Either we’ll be found out badly eventually or we’ll finally start putting it altogether at once but things can really only get more difficult from here. Bigger issues than BBB I think. Only real positive up forward today was Fritsch seeming to go to another level but probably not to do with Brown.

It will be absurd if Fritsch gets a suspension for that. Firstly, no concussion, so low impact at worse. Secondly, he has the ball, he's allowed to take evasive actions to prevent being tackled, so it doesn't come with the same culpability for the outcome as electing to bump does. Thirdly, the elbow itself, he's pivoting and pushing off, not running at him. Most of the force comes from Powell, after he's been pushed by Trac, and looks like he's falling to the ground. If Powell was just running at him, the forearm would have made contact with his chest, and he'd have bounced off, or tackled him.

Hey guys sorry to intrude, congrats on the start to season

just wondering with Tomlinson out, does tmac go back to defense and weidemann comes into forward line?

that makes sense to me but not sure
Your guess is as good as ours. TMac went back in the second half but that was an in game move.

what i'd like to see -

Out: Tomlinson, Brown, Melksham
In: Petty, Weid, Harmes/Chandler

Melkshams disposal is just pure panic atm.... needs to go spend some time in the 2's and just find some confidence. His best is great and the connection he brings inside 50 is brilliant, but atm he's a shadow of that best.
Thought while Baker was average in disposal he really worked through it and improved as the game went on. Give him a few games in a row then make the call.
Jones played well - happy for him to stay.
Sparrow is definitely the other option given Viney will not be joining us for 2-3 weeks (hopefully they go hard on this and make sure he rests and is 110% fit before trying to get back in).

Tom Mc has to stay in the fwd half of the ground, hes been critical to us in that space and playing really well.
Brown I still don't think structures well with the way we are playing forward. I'm not a fan of shifting how we go into 50 to suit 1 player.
Weid will be a much better, mobile addition here.
Petty - time to give him a few games and see if he can fill that role of Tomlinson, as someone else mentioned worked his way into the game with the hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out Baker and Tomlinson
In Jones and Weideman

That’s assuming Tmac goes back. He was pretty good when he went back. If Fritsch gets rubbed out I’d bring Chandler in.

I am thinking they’ll perhaps bring Petty in for Tomlinson. Which will mean no Weideman. But he can’t play Casey forever so it’s a good chance to bring him in.

Out Baker and Tomlinson
In Jones and Weideman

That’s assuming Tmac goes back. He was pretty good when he went back. If Fritsch gets rubbed out I’d bring Chandler in.

I am thinking they’ll perhaps bring Petty in for Tomlinson. Which will mean no Weideman. But he can’t play Casey forever so it’s a good chance to bring him in.
Did we look worse with the two keys forwards today because of how we were playing in general? I guess we need to work out if two key forwards work or not, better to work it out sooner rather than later.
Definitely think two is it though, so weid needs Tmac back if he is to come in I think.

what i'd like to see -

Out: Tomlinson, Brown, Melksham
In: Petty, Weid, Harmes/Chandler

Melkshams disposal is just pure panic atm.... needs to go spend some time in the 2's and just find some confidence. His best is great and the connection he brings inside 50 is brilliant, but atm he's a shadow of that best.
Thought while Baker was average in disposal he really worked through it and improved as the game went on. Give him a few games in a row then make the call.
Jones played well - happy for him to stay.
Sparrow is definitely the other option given Viney will not be joining us for 2-3 weeks (hopefully they go hard on this and make sure he rests and is 110% fit before trying to get back in).

Tom Mc has to stay in the fwd half of the ground, hes been critical to us in that space and playing really well.
Brown I still don't think structures well with the way we are playing forward. I'm not a fan of shifting how we go into 50 to suit 1 player.
Weid will be a much better, mobile addition here.
Petty - time to give him a few games and see if he can fill that role of Tomlinson, as someone else mentioned worked his way into the game with the hawks.
I pretty much agree, except I would definitely go Sparrow ahead of Harmes.

Realistically they don't give up on Brown as they key option even though we think Weid could suit the team style better.

I can now see Weid coming in and Tmac staying back, rather than Petty.

I think the other thing - regardless of TMac or Petty - is that May and Lever are still there. They’re the key towers. Petty might actually look loads better with May and Lever there.

Did we look worse with the two keys forwards today because of how we were playing in general? I guess we need to work out if two key forwards work or not, better to work it out sooner rather than later.
Definitely think two is it though, so weid needs Tmac back if he is to come in I think.
I think we didn’t play very well up the ground and not sure we got a good look at the key forwards working together. So agree. Weideman in and Tmac back.

I think the other thing - regardless of TMac or Petty - is that May and Lever are still there. They’re the key towers. Petty might actually look loads better with May and Lever there.
Good post. I'm sad for Tommo but I'm not convinced he's the 'lynchpin'. He definitely releases the other two to rebound, but I'm convinced that TMac, Petty or Daw can do a good job there too depending on form/opponent.

So with Fritsch, I'd say it was careless but I am not sure on how it will be classified in terms of the impact grading.

Powell played out the game, and did not have to do a concussion test, so there is a chance it is classified as low, which would be a fine.

Unfortunately though, I think Christian will say it is medium and therefore a 1 match suspension.

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 9.39.34 pm.png

Last edited:
So with Fritsch, I'd say it was careless but I am not sure on how it will be classified in terms of the impact grading.

Powell played out the game, and did not have to do a concussion test, so there is a chance it is classified as low, which would be a fine.

Unfortunately though, I think Christian will say is it medium and therefore a 1 match suspension.

View attachment 1117451
Agree, surely low is when the bloke is unaffected, Powell did cop a solid hit to the head can’t get around that fact.

if you also watch the replay closely i reckon Fritschs elbow hits Powells shoulder first then slips upwards into the neck/head. not sure if that helps though.

If I had it my way

Jones Brown Baker out

Chandler Weid Sparrow in

Chandler forward, Sparrow into the guts.

Wanted to drop Gus but can't think of another player who could play wing
Thought you said yesterday no one should go out after one game but they deserve 2-3. I agree with your comments yesterday.

Agree, surely low is when the bloke is unaffected, Powell did cop a solid hit to the head can’t get around that fact.

This is the Franklin elbow to Hamling from 2018. Hamling went off with concussion.

This was the official release from the MRO of the incident:

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 10.05.24 pm.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back