Unofficial Preview Changes v the Bombers at the Gabba round 5.. must win game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Outs- Lincoln McCarthy, Tom Fullarton.

Ins- Ely Smith, Connor Ballenden.

Give Ballenden a go at the Fullarton role before McStay comes back and Ely deserves his chance, no one else really knocking down the door to come in and the guys down today were by and large the experienced players so they wont go out.

Outs- McCarthy, Cameron, Fullarton.

Ins- E. Smith, Payne, Ainsworth.

Fullarton out for McStay
Lester out and Ah Chee in.
T Berry out for E Smith in

Do think we need to throw things around a bit. We too slow for 2021 style
Lack pressure in middle and speed of backline.
So try Charlie back.
Move Mitch forward to play T Berry role. Toms defensive effort is great although disposals again he avgs 7 over 9 games. Tackles and pressure great. Got run down a few times today.
Ah Chee or E Smith wing

Not sure why everyone looking at Linc. Did not have the best game although I say holds his spot.

Here's a bit of a left field idea. Zorko across half back or wing, he is an elite tackler and hard runner.

I'd like to see Answerth in for Lester (would be very unlucky but just looking for a spot for him) and Coleman given another go in the forward line.

In - Answerth, Coleman
Out - Lester, T.Berry

Last edited:
If not Zorko or Cameron.. Maybe McCarthy back good tackler, great leap, has some speed and good disposal.
Not all doom and gloom although think we need to tinker with our game plan.
Even the Tigers not travelling great and look slow. they are 2-2 wins against Blues and Hawks
2021 seems faster pace with rule changes.

If you look at this year so far
Swans cut us up after we got 3 goals up and level at half time.
Cats where on top for most of the game, we over ran them and almost won. Cats did have a 26 point lead on us.
Pies where in front all the game and we just over ran them. Pies also had a 25 point lead on us.
Dogs on top most of the game they prob should of won by more.
We are 1-3 although there are signs our 2020 game plan is too slow for 2021.
So need to tinker.. I do think Rayner and McStay out hurt us more then people think.
I know both can be whipping boys here although we missed them.
McStay back next week hopefully.

In: McStay, Smith, Answerth
Out: Fullarton, TBerry, Lester

Starcevich Andrews Gardiner
Rich Adams Answerth

McCluggage Lyons Bailey

Cameron Hipwood McStay
Robinson Daniher McCarthy

JBerry, Robertson, Smith, Birchall
Why TBerry. Thought he did a great job on Daniel's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did a great job defensively but I feel Robbo could do a similar job if needed and be more of a threat around goals.

Robbo was the only guy applying pressure in the midfield and I’m assuming part of the reason ESmith hasn’t got a game already would be because his pressure isn’t good enough yet.

TBerry has 2 goals in 3 games, Linc and Charlie has 3 and 4 respectively in 4 games. None of them have been much of a threat.

Here's a bit of a left field idea. Zorko across half back or wing, he is an elite tackler and hard runner.

I'd like to see Answerth in for Lester (would be very unlucky but just looking for a spot for him) and Coleman given another go in the forward line.

In - Answerth, Coleman
Out - Lester, T.Berry

I think it is quite a natural move for Zorko to play a role deeper in defence. At half back he would produce a lot of the run we need.

The other problem we seem to have is in the forward line. Only Hipwood seems to naturally lead to space. Everyone else in the forward line tends to wait for the ball to come to them. McStay might make a difference in that regard. Our slow forwards movement has a circular effect. The midfield doesn’t kick to space because no one runs into it. The forwards don’t run to space because the midfield don’t kick to it. And around it goes.

We aren’t far off the pace. But we are off the pace. There are three things that the 2021 game seems to require:

- fast ball movement out of defence
- midfield clearances out of the centre, or otherwise bogging the opposition down with tackling pressure until the clearance can be won.
-an open forward line for players to lead into knowing the ball will be there.

Charlie is the most underperforming member of the team. Should be dropped but he won't be.

Outside of Charlie, I don't actually think too many are underperforming to the extent that we should panic. Some posters were suggesting a mini rebuild this year which I think is ******* ridiculous. Our biggest issue is that individually we aren't doing too bad, as a whole we are pathetic. Not playing for each other!

The game plan is s**t. We play the metres game, which gets chopped to pieces against teams that can at least compete with us at the stoppages but can move the ball better than us from defensive half. Dogs and Pies (Pies have s**t forward line though) are two teams that can do this fairly well, Tigers, Port and Cats can certainly do this. Our stoppage game isn't firing as it once was, and our forward half pressure is next to non existent so we can't pressure the opposition from our forward half.

Need to get back to basics move the ball on quicker, ensure our forwards and midfield are doing their job defensively. Not just tackling, but applying pressure, swarming, filling holes up the ground when they can't impact the direct contest. Fagan has some work cut out for him. At this rate, I fear we will scrape into the 8.

At this rate, I fear we will scrape into the 8.
The way things are at the moment, I would be really quite happy for this to happen.

The game plan needs tinkering, without doubt.
I believe we have been caught out a bit with the new rules and have begun the year with what has worked for the last couple.
But things obviously need to change, the coaching group will tinker with things as the year progresses and we will be better as the year wears on.
We still have a reasonably young and highly motivated group who know they are not performing at the level they know they can.
We can’t play all of Harris, Adams, Gardiner, Lester and Birchall in the same backline. One needs to go, and in my opinion it is either Adams or Lester.
Would be happy to bring back AhChee for either, or we bite the bullet and bring in some real pace and line breaking ability in Jimmy Madden.
Now is the time for a couple of tweeks because we can’t continue with the same defensive set up. We have gone too defensive rather than adding some offensive weapons.
It would be nice to have about 5-6 players with Harry Sharps running ability because we really lack run.

If we can scrape into finals but really coming into finals playing some good quality football, I wouldn’t write us off just yet.
We are at a different stage of our football development than we were a couple of years ago so maybe we can time our run to be in absolutely tip top shape come the end of the year.🤞

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back