Unofficial Preview Changes v the Bombers at the Gabba round 5.. must win game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Birchall didn't look that slow yesterday . Comfortably in our best 6 players so don't know how he gets dropped.

I understand the sentiment given his age but he's performing strongly.

It has to come up so I'm first in. We need pace out of our backline and Answerth is really fast so he comes in.

In .Answerth McStay Ah Chee

Out .Fullarton Lester Robertson

On notice Cameron McCarthy .

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It’s time to move on from the old slow guys. The game has changed we need speed and aggression.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Then we have a bunch of poor kicks and keep turning it over at half back. Much better.

Birchall kicks with aggression.

Need Answerth to mind AMT - bring him in if ready and swap for Lester. I'd also play Callum Ah Chee ahead of Fullarton. He'll add more flexibility across forward line and defense, as well as create more pressure in forward line against Jordan Ridley and Nick Hind.

Ely could come in for Deven as well, we need to trial more inside ball winners and see if we can find a new winning combination.

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Having a look over the ladder, all the teams that went deep in 2020 have had slow starts. Richmond 2-2... Geelong 2-2 and could easily be in our position if it wasn’t for one umpires decision... Power are the exception mind you they have beaten north and Essendon.
I feel our season is far from over. The teams that are flying at the moment have had at least an extra month if not longer in the preseason. I’m backing us in to click within the next month and start moving forward. Just need to jag a few wins in the mean time!

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The only player over 4 rounds who been playing below par in each game been Charlie. Not been right since he did his knee last year.
Not sure it the leg or something seems a yard of pace off. As said do we throw him back or something?

Not sure it helps us that Neale is like 70% of the player he was last year although that is better then some :)
Lyon give 1000% each week although a mid of Lyon, Neale, Clugga, Berry, Robbo and Zorko is not fast enough for 2021 game plan.
We rotated Bailey, McCarthy and Cameron from forward line for some speed although not at great effect.
I do think we need to give T Berry, Dev or E Smith a run in the middle.
Maybe Joyce or sharp outside? Yes need to give the kids a go in the middle.
Or Ah Chee. Need to mix it around a little.
If McStay not ready I still drop Fullarton go someone smaller or different.
Joe, Hippy and Fullarton 3 tall thin forwards not a difference. Fullarton rucking been not great.
Rather go one ruck Big O with Joe backup

Interesting the teams struggling so far in 2021 are Tigers, Cats, Pies and Lions.
All teams that did well in 2020 and so far struggle to adapt.
Cats 2 games us by 1 and Hawks by 5 points.. Could easy be 1-3 or 0-4
Tigers blues and hawks.. Blues could of won that one.
Pies beat the blues and one win as well.
Interesting the Blues ahead of all of us on the ladder and lost to Tigers/Pies :)
Only half the teams from the 2020 8 in the 8 now.

Agree with most we too slow in the backline cannot zone now with the new rules.
So you need to be more accountable. Ball comes in with speed we been caught out.
Think Andrews who likes to zone off and intercept getting caught between. Grimes for Tigers as well.

Then on the way out have Rich/Birchall to kick it although no movement up the ground.
So kick to a pack and hope Joe or Hippy takes a speccy or we get a ball in.
Slow ball plan is not what teams been doing in 2021.
you have more space with the new man on the mark rule we not been using it.

I say as others cannot go Lester, Birchall, Rich, Gardiner, Adams and Andrews in the back half.
Say Lester goes for Answerth or Madden unless we move Charlie back

bain22

Senior List
Sep 27, 2011
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am very surprised at the love for Birchall's kicking. Watching him yesterday, he has just fallen in love with a short chip or down the line to a contest. Time for him to have a spell in my view.
Give Answerth the chance to at least break a line or two and take the game on.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
People are jumping to conclusions on the basis of 4 games. Let's see if the teams who have adapted to the new game whatever it is can keep it up.

Results so far have been very topsy turvy. Melbourne has underachieved for a while with the list they have so unsurprising it should click for them eventually.

The structural problems everyone says we have now are the same problems we had in the last 2 years. Except some players we expected to be guns , J. Berry ,Rayner for example aren't there or haven't really gone on and our best player in Neale is injured, Cameron has gone backwards , other issues.

We're still not that far off the pace . I think it's too early to say we need to upend our structure and anyway I don't think we have the cattle to improve our performance greatly if at all . We'll run into some form eventually ,let's hope it's soon.

Rant warning.
latest

The Lions at the moment are too slow and often often ill disciplined Some think that last year's form means the same will happen again this year. I got tip for them: it doesn't. Compare this to our AFLW team or Sydney who are all committed and excelling in their team roles. This game is brutal if you slightly fall off the pace and it looks like that all teams (apart from North) are capable of winning on any day. Also, how about turning up in the first quarter?
The coaching should have been introducing some new players and speed into the team last year. At least enough for some to get a taste for the highest level. Now they are getting introduced when the team is struggling with form and an outdated game plan. There is no backup ruck on the list other than Archie, who is injured a lot and didn't really ever dominate the NEAFL anyway. How would we know what the coaches are thinking because our social media presence is poor and hard question when occasionally asked are not answered by Fagan anyway.
They need a big attitude adjustment this week otherwise it will be another loss at home. Saying this, I hope that they will prove me wrong this week. /Rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back