Preview Changes v The Bye....and Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

The big question for me is, who will go to their number one player, Cam Guthrie?

It's a shame The Hoff has retired. He's worked extensively with homeless people throughout his career.

Was it talked about why our forward press doesn't exist anymore?
He was asked about the change from a forward press team to an attack from defence team, and whether we had made that change intentionally to increase our efficiency or not. He basically said that we haven't changed and we are trying to execute the forward press and be a forward half team, it was a clear admission that we've got some issues in that space which obviously aren't much of a surprise.

I watched Rozee warming up before the start of the last game. He looked like he was stomping on his foot as if to get some feeling into it.

so will we get rag dolled in the middle again and be 4 goals down by half time, or will Ollie & Boak actually be A grade midfielders against a good team for once instead of going to sleep at the wheel?

so will we get rag dolled in the middle again and be 4 goals down by half time, or will Ollie & Boak actually be A grade midfielders against a good team for once instead of going to sleep at the wheel?
Stand goal-side, and shoulder to shoulder with our direct opponents in the centre square and at stoppages. Negate the burst clearances from the oppo.

My concern is how teams have been able to pick our zone apart with precise kicking. It allows teams to slow it down and work methodically until someone gets free. We have not worked out the right spacing to prevent it and I worry that it is the way Geelong will work it down to their forwards, putting our defence under too much pressure to sustain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel that we can put maximum pressure on the ball carrier when we are on. Like I said before, I am glad we are tweaking our game plan because it can develop in relation to what other teams are doing over the year. Most years we have been figured out by the end of the year and our fitness advantage has all but evaporated.

What I want to see for the rest of the year is finding out which youngster is coming along in leaps and bounds to make us a better team. The candidates so far are;

Kane Farrell
He is starting to become more involved in general play, taking on the ball carrier and adding a defensive style. When we start to tighten our defence I think he has shown that he is an outside player that can play inside. He just needs to show this consistently.

Lachie Jones
He has so far shown that he is good defensively. His weapon is that he is slightly more attacking and has a penetrating kick. Probably in the box seat for a spot if both Butters and Duursma are back at the end of the year. His only downside is that there are so many defenders to choose from.

Bergman
If we have a full squad he probably doesn't make it. That is because what he offers is what we get from Lachie Jones. A defensive player that can explode out of the contest. He rarely uses his speed but is accountable and is good in the air. He will also be a midfielder one day I feel. He will be a great player but just needs time to put all his gifts together.

I think Farrell and Jones will start to thrive as the season goes on. They have come in and out of the side and can put everything on the line to prove that they belong.
Win or lose I hope to see the beginning of our real defensive pressure. Get that right and we will have a better second half of the year.

Just got an email saying our seat has been moved as first 2 rows are empty. Only nosebleed seats left. Disappointingly not going. Would rather watch on tv

Just got an email saying our seat has been moved as first 2 rows are empty. Only nosebleed seats left. Disappointingly not going. Would rather watch on tv
I got the same email and was able to get 4 seats in the bay next door in row G. do you usually have reserved seating?

I got the same email and was able to get 4 seats in the bay next door in row G. do you usually have reserved seating?
Yeh second row but last year's experiences taught me I'd rather not sit up on the third level. Rubbish seats. There's 4 of us so it's our only option. Not happy but ah well. Watch on tv

Remove this Banner Ad

Back