Unofficial Preview Changes v the Dockers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Rayner has a hand in 2 goals.Sheppards the ball threw for Mcstays long bomb that would make a hand in 3 goals in a win and it's considered a pissweak effort and should be dropped this week.
No thanks I would name him again the type of player that if he gets a dozen touches he kicks a couple and has a hand in another couple.

I agree with you for the last sentence. However, Cam only ticked the last criteria for it on the weekend. He got a quarter of a dozen touches, and kicked zero goals. The two weeks before that he combined for sixteen touched, one goal and one behind.

He started the year getting 10-15 disposals, 2 goals and playing footy that didn’t deserve him to get dropped. However, the last three weeks are a different story, and I’d say your last sentence agrees with that.

I have unshakable man-love for Rayner so it hurts to say it but he probably does need a spell. It still feels like teams would rather face us without him than with him but we can't keep giving him 'one more week' to find that form. We need him back to his exciting best, breaking tackles, hitting the contest, kicking goals and putting bums on seats. Glad he shaved the back off that mullet though.

No doubt Christian will suspend Matho as he is a no njame player compared to Gax and Fyfe. Realistically, it should be insufficient force, casued no damage at all.
debating to give Rayner 1 more week or not due to the win. He played against Freo well last year

Was thinking same thing, Rayner got his rising star nomination for his match V freo last yr,

I would drop Mathieson anyway. Playing at Optus fast track and perfectly suited for Cutler. Remember they have Brad Hill sprinting down the wings all day.

Keays for Rayner and Cutler for Matho.

Linc McCarthy needs to lift been quiet lately.

Robbo to tag Fyfe and just bash him around :)
When I watched the replay I noticed Linc do some super smart things. No stats for them. One lead to a goal. His pressure looked up too.

The reasons to drop Rayner seems longer than the reasons to keep him in but Fagan has always given the young blokes a bit more time than he does the mature guys. And I’m more than OK with that. I mean, people were calling for Witho’s head and he’s just come out with a really solid game.

I’d drop Rayner but I’m not going to whine if he stays in. Some are getting a bit personal with their comments on this issue.

Zorko was just messing about trying to waste time. Didn't fool the umpires who told him to get on with it.

It didn't even come to mind that it was that incident Derrinalphil was referring to.

Yeah obviously a fake.

1 mid and 1 forward go out, 2 forwards come in. We need a mid to replace Matho, we can't have too many young players in the team as we still want to win so l wouldn't mind someone like Bastiac come in. Would prefer C.Lyons but then we would have: Answorth, Hinge, Keays and Wooler who would all be very inexperienced + the addition of C.Lyons

I think Lyons, Zorko, Neale, Robinson, McCluggage and Berry is a decent core group with others still being able to rotate through.

Keays has been on a senior list for long enough and his form warrants selection. Can run though the middle along with others and Wooller pushes up too.

The thing that might save Cam is that we've had 2 really tough games . Our guys were obviously very tired at the end and now face the longest road trip to a fast track . But Cam barely raised a sweat so at least he'll still be fresh enough.

If he was in form this is the sort of track where he should go well out the back in the forward line .Like everyone else I'm torn ,his form doesn't warrant selection but is he not far away from really doing something ? I guess the selectors will have a chat to him and make the call

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course Rayner will be inconsistent,especially as a small forward,but is clearly up to the level and should be played unless he becomes a continued liability (not 2 games,maybe 5),he definitely stays in for mine.

said this a few times Cameron, McCarthy and Rayner all players who play a good qtr or two only. Either on or off. McCarthy and Cameron do more defensive work than Rayner. Although been around longer bigger bodies more pre seasons.
Problem is we not always getting them all going at once, think eagles game only 9 goals between 3.
Every week we want one of the three dropped. Rayner did a few good things although fumbled a lot. If he grabbed a few of those he would of kicked his 1-2 a week.. He is a 25-30 goal a year forward. So too McCarthy, McStay, Hipwood and Cameron.
We also have Zorko and McCluggage 20-25 and Berry as well be hunting around 15-20.
Seems the plan not to kick to one player always.

Although I think our new plan is to all kick to Cameron in the first so he gets a goal. We won every game he kicked a goal this year :)

Keays is not a like for like swap for Rayner. Wooler probably closer.
I would of give Keays a run for Big O.. Although Oscar had a good game on the weekend used his body well as dry.
Freo run one ruck. So I still be tempted Keays in for Oscar. Although will not happen.
I feel for Keays the comp in NEAFL not the same standard and we not running a player he can take the job from McCarthy be the closest.

For Freo is Matho is out either C Lyons or T Berry in.

said this a few times Cameron, McCarthy and Rayner all players who play a good qtr or two only. Either on or off. McCarthy and Cameron do more defensive work than Rayner. Although been around longer bigger bodies more pre seasons.
Problem is we not always getting them all going at once, think eagles game only 9 goals between 3.
Every week we want one of the three dropped. Rayner did a few good things although fumbled a lot. If he grabbed a few of those he would of kicked his 1-2 a week.. He is a 25-30 goal a year forward. So too McCarthy, McStay, Hipwood and Cameron.
We also have Zorko and McCluggage 20-25 and Berry as well be hunting around 15-20.

Although I think our new plan is to all kick to Cameron in the first so he gets a goal. We won every game he kicked a goal this year :)

I would of give Keays a run for Big O.. Although Oscar had a good game on the weekend used his body well as dry.
Freo run one ruck. So I still be tempted Keays in for Oscar. Although will not happen.
I feel for Keays the comp in NEAFL not the same standard and we not running a player he can take the job from McCarthy be the closest.

Strange logic. Rayner isn't like for like with Rayner but you'd bring him in for McInerney?

Of course Rayner will be inconsistent,especially as a small forward,but is clearly up to the level and should be played unless he becomes a continued liability (not 2 games,maybe 5),he definitely stays in for mine.
After last weekend the Rayner debate is not about ‘inconsistent’ it is about ‘nonexistent.’ Keays deserves a run.

Cant see us changing our structure/game plan too much. Dropping a ruck and bringing in a small forward would disturb too much of what we are actually good at (scores from centre clearances/clearances and what not). If the Big O needs a break it will be for Archie. Can't see that happening.

How good was seeing our rucks actually hit a midfielder. More match experience these guys have together one would think it could only get better.

After last weekend the Rayner debate is not about ‘inconsistent’ it is about ‘nonexistent.’ Keays deserves a run.
I know with what player the future lies

RE: Cam Rayner

Against Footscray his statistics were:
8 Disposals (3 Kicks / 5 Handballs), 4 Contested Possessions, 0 Marks, 4 Tackles, 2 Inside 50's, 80% Game Time

Against Adelaide his statistics were:
3 Disposals (2 Kicks / 1 Handball), 0 Contested Possessions, 0 Marks, 2 Tackles, 2 Inside 50's, 74% Game Time

Rayner's game against Footscray was poor, but yesterday was appalling. The thing that is most worrying is that he is getting plenty of game time and doing next to nothing. Fagen has given him ample opportunity to work into games, but to no avail. I believe that Rayner has the raw talent to be a superstar, but he must be dropped and given the opportunity to work for and earn his place in the seniors.

We simply cant afford to go into games effectively a man down. The other problem that giving Rayner senior games irrespective of form is the message it sends to other players, both those who find themselves being dropped despite much better numbers and those who are in great form in the reserves, but cant break into the senior team. It can be corrosive.

The thing with him was the moment we gave him a chance on the ball he set up two goals. When he's near

Not quite accurate. He set up two shots at goal and shepherded a ball through. He went missing for two quarters.

The reasons to drop Rayner seems longer than the reasons to keep him in but Fagan has always given the young blokes a bit more time than he does the mature guys. And I’m more than OK with that. I mean, people were calling for Witho’s head and he’s just come out with a really solid game.

I’d drop Rayner but I’m not going to whine if he stays in. Some are getting a bit personal with their comments on this issue.
Yeah, I’m fence sitting on this too. He is going to learn a hell of a lot more playing in ones than the NEAFL IMO, but the counter argument is so could a Wooller or Ballenden. From the outside I’m thinking/knowing the club knows the paths and current capabilities of the squad better than me but also happy to listen/read others opinions of those who live in their own little bubbles of knowledge... keep ‘em coming, just for the lols.

Yeah, I’m fence sitting on this too. He is going to learn a hell of a lot more playing in ones than the NEAFL IMO, but the counter argument is so could a Wooller or Ballenden. From the outside I’m thinking/knowing the club knows the paths and current capabilities of the squad better than me but also happy to listen/read others opinions of those who live in their own little bubbles of knowledge... keep ‘em coming, just for the lols.
Great post blynd_freddie. I’m glad you mentioned Ballenden and Wooller, because the club has an obligation to them also. They have a right to be developed by getting some game time in the seniors and I could imagine players who are “knocking on the door” being dismayed if they aren’t getting their chance because the coach and match committee are giving one player chances that others are not getting, in the face of very poor form. This is what I mean when I say this can be a corrosive thing to happen at a club. Anyway, that’s my last word. We’ll see what happens on Thursday night.

Great post blynd_freddie. I’m glad you mentioned Ballenden and Wooller, because the club has an obligation to them also. They have a right to be developed by getting some game time in the seniors and I could imagine players who are “knocking on the door” being dismayed if they aren’t getting their chance because the coach and match committee are giving one player chances that others are not getting, in the face of very poor form. This is what I mean when I say this can be a corrosive thing to happen at a club. Anyway, that’s my last word. We’ll see what happens on Thursday night.
I think we'll likely pick the side that is suited against Freo at their ground.

Cam actually seemed to get into better position to win the ball a few times on Saturday and just couldn't quite get hold of it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back