Unofficial Preview Changes v the Dockers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't keep Keays out of the side while we wait for Rayner to string a performance or two together.

Doubt Hodge will travel? Interesting to see who comes in for Matho.

Can't keep Keays out of the side while we wait for Rayner to string a performance or two together.

Doubt Hodge will travel? Interesting to see who comes in for Matho.

There's a reason we arn't rushing to put Ben is the side and that is because he has never displayed anything close to be capable at the level. I watched him up forward last year at Marvel stadium, 2nd tier, front row - he had no idea what he was doing.

I believe he should be given a go and I think he will, I also think we need to reward form, but anyone expecting him to come back into the senior side and all of a sudden be a dynamic forward, have another thing coming. also can't subscribe to the notion anyone is keeping him out, if he gets his go, he will be lucky and hopefully he takes it.. because he is a great person and we all want him to do well.

There's a reason we arn't rushing to put Ben is the side and that is because he has never displayed anything close to be capable at the level. I watched him up forward last year at Marvel stadium, 2nd tier, front row - he had no idea what he was doing.

I believe he should be given a go and I think he will, I also think we need to reward form, but anyone expecting him to come back into the senior side and all of a sudden be a dynamic forward, have another thing coming. also can't subscribe to the notion anyone is keeping him out, if he gets his go, he will be lucky and hopefully he takes it.. because he is a great person and we all want him to do well.
Yes I'm a sceptic on Ben's ability at the highest level but he's worked really hard on his game the last few months and made himself a very valuable goalsneak in the Neafl plus the defensive side of his game is a lot better , probably due to improved fitness.

Hard to deny he deserves a chance and he also deserves to do well.

Maybe 12 months ago he wasn't the player he is now. Worth a shot, considering Rayner's lackluster run of form.

I feel for Cutler he is an outside receiver with a great kick. Sometimes does not drop the eyes and pick the best target.
I did not think he was super crap in the dogs game he had a few mates who went to sleep.

Although modern footy is all about running both ways and being defensive mid and applying midfield pressure. Not his strongest aspect.
We have other players who seem to be witches hats or jog after people. So not sure that is the only thing Fagan wants changed.
He was given 3 games like others I assume Fagan has a plan

How comparable to Cutler is Beams in playing style? Knock on Beams was that he was/is a one way runner

I like Cutler, but my main criticism of him from what I have viewed is that while he's a very long penetrating kick he's never really struck me as a very accurate kick. I'm not sure whether that's an execution thing in that he doesn't quite weight his kicks properly, or whether he just doesn't have that feel for where the ball needs to go for a player to effectively run into it.

It was one of the things that I noticed immediately from hinge, he tends to weight and place his kicks quite nicely for the person leading towards him. He seemed to pick the right elevation and the right side of the leading player to place the ball.

On the not panicking part, it's the perfect example of the benefit of having a guy on your list for 3 years before he plays. He's played at a higher then junior level and trained more under pressure so he's used to it.

Re Hinge seems we have followed the Hawks blue print of drafting players with above average foot skills
The footskills are more crucial than ever these days , with contest after contest once you get a clear kick at it you really need to hit a target.

Over the years guys who couldn't kick accurately never really seemed to learn ,though I'm sure there are training drills that should be able to improve them these days . You only get a Simon Black by foot and hand once in a lifetime really . Lachie Neale isn't there yet but he's improving.

The footskills are more crucial than ever these days , with contest after contest once you get a clear kick at it you really need to hit a target.

Over the years guys who couldn't kick accurately never really seemed to learn ,though I'm sure there are training drills that should be able to improve them these days . You only get a Simon Black by foot and hand once in a lifetime really . Lachie Neale isn't there yet but he's improving.
I suppose Aker has to be right up there foot wise.

Best I have ever seen. Bernie Quinlan wasn’t called SUPERBOOT for nothing either, but Akermanis was unbelievable off both feet and deadly on the run.

That's really harsh on Cutler.

Watch any of our players for the whole game and you'll see them doing similar things to Cutler at times . Answerth ,Rayner , even Charlie amongst others ,doesn't mean they don't contest when they have to.

I think he's a whipping boy and to me gets back to a lack of confidence by trying to make him something he isn't .

Lots of great teams had players like Cutler who starred . But sick of talking about it tbh. He's not in ,he's obviously not in favor and that's the situation.
Like I said I've watch every game of his this year either live or on Utube with the specific reason to see what he was out of favour. I'm not bagging him I still think he is a good player but the coaches don't obviously think so. This was just my observation in trying to understand. I trust the coaches more than supporters especially this year.

Best I have ever seen. Bernie Quinlan wasn’t called SUPERBOOT for nothing either, but Akermanis was unbelievable off both feet and deadly on the run.
Well Leigh said he had Bernie as his full forward in his best team while he played because it didn't matter where he got it forward of the centre he was going to hurt you.

I remember Bernie torping it from behind the wing with the wind behind him at the Junction Oval one day that sailed through the goals into the crowd .I swear it went 100 yards. Pretty special player to win a Brownlow as a ruck rover and then top the ton a couple of times as FF. Great guy too , very humble considering the ability he had

I reckon Acker was the best 'first instance' player I've seen, he could kick goals out of nothing without looking and maybe one day Charlie will be just as good. Lining up a set shot, maybe I don't rate him as high as others but with seconds left in a match and the ball on the ground I'd have it in Acker's hands every time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Leigh said he had Bernie as his full forward in his best team while he played because it didn't matter where he got it forward of the centre he was going to hurt you.

I remember Bernie torping it from behind the wing with the wind behind him at the Junction Oval one day that sailed through the goals into the crowd .I swear it went 100 yards. Pretty special player to win a Brownlow as a ruck rover and then top the ton a couple of times as FF. Great guy too , very humble considering the ability he had
Also kicked 5 in the last quarter of a final against Hawthorn playing on the ball in which Glen James crucified us.

That's right ,5 in the last quarter.

I reckon Acker was the best 'first instance' player I've seen, he could kick goals out of nothing without looking and maybe one day Charlie will be just as good. Lining up a set shot, maybe I don't rate him as high as others but with seconds left in a match and the ball on the ground I'd have it in Acker's hands every time.
That won us a flag didn't it

I think I’d be more worried about a player that can’t get a kick, is unfit, couldn’t mark a footy to save his life and renders us virtually one short when he’s on the ground than any guy that makes the occasional error. But let’s keep playing the guy that is the former.:rolleyes:

I think I’d be more worried about a player that can’t get a kick, is unfit, couldn’t mark a footy to save his life and renders us virtually one short when he’s on the ground than any guy that makes the occasional error. But let’s keep playing the guy that is the former.:rolleyes:

If you're referring to Cutler and Rayner they aren't really competing for the same spot.

That's one thing I was wondering about . What's happened to Cam's marking ,we know he can be a strong overhead mark so his confidence must be at a low ebb.

I'm a little concerned about how they're handling him but he seems a great kid ,I'm sure the club will work out what's best . We're at the stage where people in the media are calling for him to be axed ,well it's good that someone's paying attention to Brisbane but that would be tough for him.

That's one thing I was wondering about . What's happened to Cam's marking ,we know he can be a strong overhead mark so his confidence must be at a low ebb.

I'm a little concerned about how they're handling him but he seems a great kid ,I'm sure the club will work out what's best . We're at the stage where people in the media are calling for him to be axed ,well it's good that someone's paying attention to Brisbane but that would be tough for him.

Would he still be carrying a niggle?

Anyway all Cam needs is a good game where he slots a few and normal programming will resume with everyone bagging Lester/McStay/?

Leaving aside the ridiculous way you’ve made that comparison, that’s really unfair on a player you are supposed to support, Dylan. Whether Rayner should be dropped or not, we don’t have to get personal about it.

He seems to be running under the ball a bit, similar to what Hippy was doing which seems to have been fixed up of late, he's getting close to the ball but is fumbling or is a step off. I have every confidence that Cam with help from the coaching staff will turn his season around............... in time for finals.

I’m going to chuck my two cents in on Tom Cutler as he’s getting lots of air time here at the moment.

I think he’s very likely gone at the end of the season.

Maybe he’s had a falling out, or never clicked with Fagan, Noble etc, over attitude, KPIs, whatever... and all parties have realised it’s probably not going to work out for him here in the long run. I’d say at a minimum, the conversation has already begun between our club, his management, and other clubs recruiters.

Quite possibly this has been the vibe for a while now, and while everyone has been hoping the overall situation would improve before his current contract finished, that time is now fast approaching.

Some other small observation in support of this theory:

- He’s been mentioned in at least one, pretty sure two, of those afl.com “which player from your club might be traded” articles. I believe the journos generally have pretty good industry knowledge on this stuff and aren’t just looking at who’s OOC and out of form or favour on each clubs list.

- his sometimes poor on field body language

- the comment from a poster on our board who chatted to Tom at a fan day. Tom responded with something like “could you pass this onto the coaches” when the poster said they hoped to see him back in the seniors soon (or something to that effect).

- and obviously, he’s been unable to cement his place in the team, despite plenty of opportunity. I also think that had we had our current good run with injury in 2017 and 2018, he may not have played as many senior games as he has to date.

So that’s my thinking. It’s a shame for us, and Tom, as he’s obviously got loads of talent, but also it’s not as if this scenario doesn’t play out most years at most club. It’s just part of the business.

Ideally, he’s given another, possibly final, chance this year and he smashes it and becomes a Brisbane Lions premiership player in the not to distant future. That would be fab. But if I was a betting man, my money is on Tom and the club parting ways at the end of the year.

If so, I hope he makes a good go of it wherever he ends up. I’m confident he’ll be picked up by another club. He’s young, talented, durable. A fresh start might be what’s best for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back