Unofficial Preview Changes v The Dogs, round 4 in Ballarat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll use the opportunity of our first win and the endorphins available to remind everyone that there's still plenty of previews that we need posters for this year!

David C

All Australian
Aug 16, 2017
Noosa
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Found this on another site, no idea of its accuracy. Sharp's previous school was St Patrick's in Ballarat.

The whisper in Ballarat is Grant Birchall out (rested), Harry Sharp in.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
I think Answerth will make a handy/good player for us. His disposal lets him down but rarely does a new young player do well there. He will be much better with 25 more games.

This is a problem we have. We probably all want to get more games into the youngsters but the senior players are going OK.

Darcy Gardiner has to come back in but Paine is going to be our CHB for years to come so that exchange is not a good long term option.

I like Birchall and he is playing well but he won't be playing next year. Does he make way for Darcy? Drop Lester? No way in my book but the Doggies are fast and Lester is not.

Daniher has given us what we needed last year, a big forward that gets the ball and kicks goals, but it means that Fullerton isn't playing in the position where his long term future is.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
he's our fastest defender. That's all I know. And his calmness under pressure is severely underrated. I know most people rate Andrews as our best defender and he is, but to me, Answerth is our most important player because we don't have another player on our list who can play the fast, shutdown defender type role he does. Contrary to belief, Ah chee actually isn't fast and his role is different from Answerth.
Actually he’s not even close to our fastest defender.

What he does have going for him, is his agility.

But in a straight line, chasing an opponent, he’s not our fastest defender.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Daniher has given us what we needed last year, a big forward that gets the ball and kicks goals, but it means that Fullerton isn't playing in the position where his long term future is.
Fullarton has shown very little of key forward tendencies so far, he plays like an oversized small forward.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Answerth will make a handy/good player for us. His disposal lets him down but rarely does a new young player do well there. He will be much better with 25 more games.

This is a problem we have. We probably all want to get more games into the youngsters but the senior players are going OK.

Darcy Gardiner has to come back in but Paine is going to be our CHB for years to come so that exchange is not a good long term option.

I like Birchall and he is playing well but he won't be playing next year. Does he make way for Darcy? Drop Lester? No way in my book but the Doggies are fast and Lester is not.

Fagan & Co will pick the best 22 for the Bulldogs game regardless of what is mentioned (& probably accurate) above. This year is another one of those rare times where we have a opportunity to win a flag. The priority is to win as many games throughout the year with our best 22 available and then plan how to take out the GF. If Birchall is considered to be part of our best 22, he will stay.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Found this on another site, no idea of its accuracy. Sharp's previous school was St Patrick's in Ballarat.

Nothing against Sharp, I think in time he'll be very good on the wing for us but I'd much prefer we bought in Madden or Answerth if Birchall is rested.

Chris Fagan on SEN on Friday after the game against Collingwood for anyone who can listen.

He mentioned that all of Oscar, Berry, Gardiner and Answerth, he is hoping will be available for selection against the Dogs.
Pressure on spots is always a good thing.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Chris Fagan on SEN on Friday after the game against Collingwood for anyone who can listen.

He mentioned that all of Oscar, Berry, Gardiner and Answerth, he is hoping will be available for selection against the Dogs.
Pressure on spots is always a good thing.
Isn't it the case Answerth at least has 1 more match suspension to serve for his indiscretion in the practice match against Aspley. I though he got a 2 match suspension so he could have only served 1 if he was selected against Collingwood as there have been no official rounds of VFL yet to serve the games. So they may announce him in the team to get the AFL to recognise the time served - or however they work it. I might be wrong though.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Tommy has exceptional hands below his knees for such a tall player - he will be good value in time.
I agree with you, yes Grundy towled him up in the air but he isn't the first and you would expect it with his inexperience. True he may not show a lot of key forward skills yet but we don't need them with him running in the way of Daniher and Hipwood. I think what he does show for some one someone back to AFL from basketball is really good agility and work below is knees, he does get the ball off the ground and shoot out the handball and seems to have a good engine. I'm pretty excited about his development into the support ruck, Oscar taking the initial taps with Tommy the relief and then in the forward line he can rove Hipwood and Daniher packs and with a bit more weight play a deep forward. The only questions this season is what happens when McStay is fit.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Oscar is available i think Ballenden goes out
Other than that i am not sure what will happen

Would like to see Deven retained.
It was a good 2nd game in his 2nd season.
Had 17 disposals 13 effective at 75% disposal efficiency. 7 marks and 7 tackles against good opposition
But more importantly he looked up to AFL level

Isn't it the case Answerth at least has 1 more match suspension to serve for his indiscretion in the practice match against Aspley. I though he got a 2 match suspension so he could have only served 1 if he was selected against Collingwood as there have been no official rounds of VFL yet to serve the games. So they may announce him in the team to get the AFL to recognise the time served - or however they work it. I might be wrong though.

I’m pretty sure he got suspended in week 1 of the AFL season, so if he is named this week, the club could say he was going to play in rounds 2 & 3 and therefore has served his suspension.

That’s why he is now available I think, but if he isn’t picked this week or next (before the VFL starts), then he hasn’t served his suspension and will have to serve it there.

lionsrules

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2006
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
liverpool
would like to see

In: Oscar, J Berry, Gardiner SUB: Answerth
Out: Ballendan, Birchall, 3rd player i dont know.... maybe Payne ...just and hes unlucky.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic

Source

Screenshot_20210406-120348_Chrome.jpg

Full Wingspan

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Doubt the fact Sharp is from Ballarat will have any bearing on his selection.

One thing we missed on Thursday night was McStay's ability to bring the ball to ground. While Daniher had a great game (could have been match winning had he kicked straight) and Hipwood played his role, there were a number of contested situations that both players found themselves in and were unable to 'crash the pack' as McStay so often (and effectively does). This resulted in Collingwood defensive marks which provided a springboard for damaging counter attacks.

McStay's role in the team cannot be overstated. While he may not be the match winner that Daniher and Hipwood can be, he is crucial to our structure and success as he so often brings the ball to ground.

Doubt the fact Sharp is from Ballarat will have any bearing on his selection.

One thing we missed on Thursday night was McStay's ability to bring the ball to ground. While Daniher had a great game (could have been match winning had he kicked straight) and Hipwood played his role, there were a number of contested situations that both players found themselves in and were unable to 'crash the pack' as McStay so often (and effectively does). This resulted in Collingwood defensive marks which provided a springboard for damaging counter attacks.

McStay's role in the team cannot be overstated. While he may not be the match winner that Daniher and Hipwood can be, he is crucial to our structure and success as he so often brings the ball to ground.
There is already likely to be 3 changes to the side that Beat Collingwood with Oscar, Bez and Gardiner likely.
It’s hard to imagine there will be a 4th.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Oscar does not get up I hope they give Smith a run. Fullarton and Ballenden were non-factors in the ruck against Collingwood. Smith is actually a ruckman and despite being so young probably has more of a clue about what he is doing. I think we should take the opportunity to give him a game while we can and hopefully help him develop. Let's be realistic he can hardly do worse and giving him a game might help him.

If he played this week he would get matched up on Martin who is physical but gives away height and is not the best tap ruck and English who might be the least physical ruck in the competition and he could probably go toe to toe with him and not be pushed around.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Forecast looks okay at the moment
By Thursday evening the BOM will get the forecast pretty spot on

Saturday 10 April
Summary
showers.png
Min 6 Max 15
Shower or two.
Possible rainfall: 1 to 2 mm Chance of any rain: 70%
rain_70.gif

Cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers.
Light winds becoming west to southwesterly 20 to 30 km/h during the morning.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Oscar does not get up I hope they give Smith a run. Fullarton and Ballenden were non-factors in the ruck against Collingwood. Smith is actually a ruckman and despite being so young probably has more of a clue about what he is doing. I think we should take the opportunity to give him a game while we can and hopefully help him develop. Let's be realistic he can hardly do worse and giving him a game might help him.

If he played this week he would get matched up on Martin who is physical but gives away height and is not the best tap ruck and English who might be the least physical ruck in the competition and he could probably go toe to toe with him and not be pushed around.

Pretty sure Smith is an indefinite out with an achilles injury. Can anyone confirm if that's changed?

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I think Smith is Unavailable as i am sure he gets in before Ballenden
Below from AFL site
Usually when you see TBC it means a fair way off

Archie Smith Achilles/shoulder TBC
Updated: Tuesday, March 30

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I haven't seen any scuttlebutt that Henry Smith is one of the 35 players in Victoria, I do like the idea of giving him a go though... if he's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back