Changes v the Giants round 10 @ The Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never underestimate any opposition but GWS are missing too much class to go with us at this point and with Taylor out as well, boys can use the opportunity to sharpen their claws for Melbourne the following week.

In Ballenden
Out Prior

Need more height the next 2 weeks

Structurally we probably need another tall but from the VFL I watched, Ballenden was bloody unimpressive.
Agree.

I’d be more inclined to introduce Brock Smith to play as a third tall or general defender.

He’s suited to play the Lester role.

He’s had a rough go in the reserves, playing on genuine KPP’s as an undersized tall.

Playing in a more structured defence, where he’s not being asked to do as much, I believe he will hold his own.

Has a bit of agro about him, and likes the physical stuff.

Agree.

I’d be more inclined to introduce Brock Smith to play as a third tall or general defender.

He’s suited to play the Lester role.

He’s had a rough go in the reserves, playing on genuine KPP’s as an undersized tall.

Playing in a more structured defence, where he’s not being asked to do as much, I believe he will hold his own.

Has a bit of agro about him, and likes the physical stuff.

one inexperienced player for another will not derail us, if he is good enough. Seems Brock is, so give him a go. Jaxon looks like he needs a rest.

Underestimating GWS would be a mistake.

Not many gave the Giants much of a chance against the Flat Trackers yet they showed true grit to win , albiet at home.

Moreover, I believe they were wretchedly unlucky the week before against the Tigers. If not for some last quarter Dusty heroics, a fluky bounce and a highly questionable last gasp goal review( in Richmond's favour) , they would be well ensconced in the eight at 6-4 .

As it is , after losing their first three, the Giants have gone 5-2 so their form line is pretty damn good and there is something admirable about the way they have battlled on despite a lot of their talent being being plundered by the Melbourne clubs over the years

Our knocking off Richmond was a great effort but I do have a slight worry that there might be a bit of a comedown this week in a Saturday arvo time slot that not only will draw a much smaller crowd but won't have that big match atmosphere either.

I have no doubt that the Giants will be up for it on Saturday so we need to be switched on from the get go.

They can be hard to reel in if they get a good start.

I knew there was something missing. An unofficial preview thread.

Jason mp you ok?
Yer I'm fine, I happened to notice that dlanod was doing the official Giants preview and thought he'd have the preview up quickly so I didn't bother.

FWIW I agree with you on Brick Smith over Ballenden...... and with Tom14 that Connor Ballenden was unimpressive v the Tigers and he had plenty of opportunity to show some glimpses, I hope I'm wrong on Connor but apart from his very good kicking he hasn't shown much YET.

As for any other changes I'd give Jaxon Prior a spell and bring in Tom Berry, hopefully James Madden stays in, shown plenty to get excited about in 2 games among higher company, one of those players that plays better with better teammates around him.

I happened to notice that dlanod was doing the official Giants preview and thought he'd have the preview up quickly so I didn't bother.
I'm a Tuesday traditionalist.

Who are the giants playing up forward at the moment? Haven't watched them play for a few weeks so unsure. But sounds like most agree we need to find a third tall.

Lester is still another week or so away from memory
Finlayson (197cm), Himmelberg (195cm) and one of their rucks (200+)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back