Unofficial Preview Changes v the Hawks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some pretty concerning whispers around that Berry's injury could be significantly worse than 6 weeks. Nothing substantiated though, but that would be a massive dent on finals hopes.
* sake. Berry was on the verge of a breakout year then he had glandular fever and now this. Hope it isnt too serious

When we recruited him they were talking about him as a Tom Lynch from Adelaide type link up player. Was hoping with his extra midfield time in the ressies he might develop to play on the wing.
Given how often he is in for centre bounces I reckon the staff have spotted something and they are seeing what they can do with it. If memory serves his tank is already quite good for a 19yo.

Some pretty concerning whispers around that Berry's injury could be significantly worse than 6 weeks. Nothing substantiated though, but that would be a massive dent on finals hopes.

ConcernedWarmAntbear-size_restricted.gif

*'s sake, that's a big blow. I wonder if we have to move him to the long term injury list will the AFL let us take someone we might have been looking at for the mid season draft?

Would be so Brisbane for us to get a long term injury just after the mid season draft

An extremely unimpressive list of draftees tonight. Do you really expect any of them to be any good?

An extremely unimpressive list of draftees tonight. Do you really expect any of them to be any good?

I know you respect my opinion a lot given my closeness to the coach but I'm not a draft watcher unfortunately :(

**** sake. Berry was on the verge of a breakout year then he had glandular fever and now this. Hope it isnt too serious

Terrible if true:'(

edit: HUN reporting that Jarrod is to have surgery on his knee..... it is a Baker's cyst that they couldn't drain, he's had one before apparently, Will be on sidelines for a while.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How far off is starcovich? Also N.Robbo must be considered this week.

Bloody hell.

In a heartbeat we seem to have gone from a relatively healthy list to injury concerns galore:(

Wait didn't a poster say we were injury free a few weeks ago

Bloody hell.

In a heartbeat we seem to have gone from a relatively healthy list to injury concerns galore:(
It was always going to happen ,particularly when you look at how hard some of these young guys attack the footy.

Fagan and co have been big on improving our list year on year and that's how you overcome the inevitable injury problems.

I really wish the NEAFL guys had more competitive grooming but at least we know they're fresh

1 week will be taken up by the bye. A lot of overreacting on this board. We still have an enviable injury list.

On Berry I feel like we really missed him on the weekend. I noticed quite a few times that Neale was matched on Fyfe running back defensively (Freo exploting a mismatch) and Fyfe was able to take easy marks on his smaller opponent.

Berry would have been a good opponent for Fyfe with his height and would have more or less broken even for the contested ball.

If Berry is out medium to long term it does appear to cause a discrepancy in our midfield. Zorko and Neale are our stars but bother smaller players. Neither Lyons or Matho are strong overhead or bulls in the contest. We seem a bit small / lacking that bid bodied mid.

How's Ely going in the reserves? Any other big bodied mids putting their hand up?

Hinge was incredibly slow with his decision making and caused more than a few turnovers. I would say if Cutler had been the one with the ball in those situations we probably win by two or three goals. He was certainly a significant contributing factor in the loss imo. Hard on a young player just stepping up and trying to adjust to the pace of the game at AFL level but that is the reason why I would demote him.

I am happy to Rayner time in the reserves to learn how to find it again. I would also be tempted to demote both the rucks and give Archie a run. Both were ordinary on the weekend especially Martin.

For me the changes would be:

Out - Hinge, Rayner, Martin, McInerney
In - Allison, Keays, Smith, Cutler
Hinge often looks like he's on the wrong side of the field as a left footer being forced to look inside every time and doesn't know how to deal with it. I'm not convinced the wing is really his spot but Cutler's not in favour so I guess we'll just continue to shuffle the deck chairs there while whoever our player in that spot is matched up with has a big game again.

On Berry I feel like we really missed him on the weekend. I noticed quite a few times that Neale was matched on Fyfe running back defensively (Freo exploting a mismatch) and Fyfe was able to take easy marks on his smaller opponent.

Berry would have been a good opponent for Fyfe with his height and would have more or less broken even for the contested ball.

If Berry is out medium to long term it does appear to cause a discrepancy in our midfield. Zorko and Neale are our stars but bother smaller players. Neither Lyons or Matho are strong overhead or bulls in the contest. We seem a bit small / lacking that bid bodied mid.

How's Ely going in the reserves? Any other big bodied mids putting their hand up?
Ely injured stress fracture in foot. Out a while.

Out: taylor big o rayner answerth
In : cutler c lyons keayes wooler

Fresh legs.. no extra tall... ball winners who kick goals. Thats my recipe. Answerth unlucky out, but we have too many half backs in lineup, witherden, hodge, rich, hinge, lester. Only 3 can b there at any one time. One more should really go, lester probably but maybe he could go forward if need be. On the weekend we had 6 hb plus our big 3 andrews walker gardiner. 9 defenders! We only need 7 in a perfect world. 8 at a stretch. 9 never. Thats why hinge was out of position on a wing. He plays hb. Cutler comes in to play wing and can go forward. C lyons takes inside mid role. Keayes replaces Rayner. Wooler replaces Big O. More balance.

When we recruited him they were talking about him as a Tom Lynch from Adelaide type link up player. Was hoping with his extra midfield time in the ressies he might develop to play on the wing.
I just don't think he is fast enough. Maybe just me but i see a wingman and a speedy type that can run hard both ways and link players by running into space as the ball moves up and down the field. McCluggage is that type, a beautiful user of the footy. Wooller watching him is developing into more of the 'bull' type of player, using their body to create space, big enough to crash a pack rather than fly over it. He is only young yet but coming on nicely and building a good tank and body. While I think Rayner potentially has a greater top end I'd say Wooller is probably offering a little more, just, right now as the 3rd forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back