Prediction Changes v The Orange

Martyn_30_

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Surely there hasn’t been a change of mindset that English plays as the second ruck with two games to go? If so, it’s the structure I wanted before the season started because English getting 20 touches around the ground is far less valuable than giving the midfield a ruckman for the full game and having English’s ability to mark and compete forward. I’m staggered that Martin’s been brought in with what he’s dished up this year, but maybe I’m wrong and he’s found some new physical capabilities mid season in his late 30s.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm honestly most pissed by Garcia out and Vandermeer in.
Vandermeer was sooo bad last week, I don’t mind him and it’s frustrating because his work off the ball is brilliant, he has an aggression and ferocity to his tackles that someone like McNeil could only dream of - but he’s just wayyyyy too costly with ball in hand at this stage. I hope he sorts it out because he could be a super damaging pressure player - but yeah VDM & McNeil we’re both beyond putrid last week.

I wonder if we’ll ever see JJ again 😢

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
Cordy has offered nothing as a defender for years. Too slow, beaten 1 on 1, can't jump, poor ball user, constantly caught out Joe the goose style and no offense side to his game.

I know Schache kicked 7 goals yet why not with two games to go say " Schache there is a spot in that backline, show me something in two games". Surely the output would be better than Cordy. If he fails off the list.

Didn't he train in defense over summer to not play a single game there this year, even when our defense has been slaughtered!

No crying for Keath here, has been shocking the whole year. He is backup at best next year, unfortunately the end has come quick for him, happens to lots of players, body breaks, cant move the same way.

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cordy has offered nothing as a defender for years. Too slow, beaten 1 on 1, can't jump, poor ball user, constantly caught out Joe the goose style and no offense side to his game.

I know Schache kicked 7 goals yet why not with two games to go say " Schache there is a spot in that backline, show me something in two games". Surely the output would be better than Cordy. If he fails off the list.

Didn't he train in defense over summer to not play a single game there this year, even when our defense has been slaughtered!

No crying for Keath here, has been shocking the whole year. He is backup at best next year, unfortunately the end has come quick for him, happens to lots of players, body breaks, cant move the same way.

Schache has been horribly mismanaged. Starting him on a wing in round 1 was a disaster. Some of the decisions regarding structure and selection this year have been beyond incompetant.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Any real justification on the Martin selection rests solely on how English is utilised.

If recent history is any guide Bevo will still play English as the main ruck (Eagles game when Sweet played primarily forward), which is totally unjustified.

I didn’t see a whole lot of the game last week, but on surface level the selection policy seems pretty fishy to me.

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Schache has been horribly mismanaged. Starting him on a wing in round 1 was a disaster. Some of the decisions regarding structure and selection this year have been beyond incompetant.
He's been on our list for 4 years and has not solidified a spot anywhere. We have learnt from Jones leaving and tried him in other positions at the end of the day he just doesn't have the ticker to be a consistent AFL level footballer

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Not quite as good as Vandermeer at that imo. 1 tackle to 2 if you want to use stats. Vandermeer came in for JJ remember, think it’s more about his speed and the mix of players.
I genuinely don't see much of a difference between them in terms of pace, intensity or defensive ability to be honest.
But I'll leave it there. Good luck to Vandermeer I hope he justifies the MC's faith in him.

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He's been on our list for 4 years and has not solidified a spot anywhere. We have learnt from Jones leaving and tried him in other positions at the end of the day he just doesn't have the ticker to be a consistent AFL level footballer

I understand that. It's just so stupid that we trained him up as a KPD in the offseason to then never play him there

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I understand that. It's just so stupid that we trained him up as a KPD in the offseason to then never play him there
He was fairly poor in the practice matches there like Hannan in the backline it's worth a try but if the signs aren't there why persist

Sharpiesadog

Team Captain
Sep 8, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Derby County
He’s barely had a decent run of games in the last 3 years. He’s been poorly managed and developed, and is not the only one this has happened to. Lewis Young immediately springs to mind, no doubt there are others. But yeah, McComb gets a run of games to show what he can do.

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He’s barely had a decent run of games in the last 3 years. He’s been poorly managed and developed, and is not the only one this has happened to. Lewis Young immediately springs to mind, no doubt there are others. But yeah, McComb gets a run of games to show what he can do.
Because he isn't good enough, Young is also fairly close to being dropped at Carlton now Marchbank and McGovern are fit. McComb isn't a key position player so have no idea the relevance of comparison

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

McComb is an odd one. He has very little scope for improvement as a starting point. Undersized not neccesarily quick and has very poor ball use. At least when we let Gardner develop he had some traits that suited his position.

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
Most of us generally agree, we know his deficiencies.

Yet the fact is he played about 4 games in defence late last year (once for the win against Melbourne where he was in the best players). He didn't star, lost some 1 on 1's yet he did read the play quite well even picking us some intercept marks.

This year I thought he deserved at least another run of 4 games in defense. He never got it.

Last edited:
Vandermeer was sooo bad last week, I don’t mind him and it’s frustrating because his work off the ball is brilliant, he has an aggression and ferocity to his tackles that someone like McNeil could only dream of - but he’s just wayyyyy too costly with ball in hand at this stage. I hope he sorts it out because he could be a super damaging pressure player - but yeah VDM & McNeil we’re both beyond putrid last week.

I wonder if we’ll ever see JJ again 😢
Disagree. I remember posting in the match day thread that Vandermeer had had a good game up to about half time. That’s notable because I don’t particularly rate him and don’t normally give him praise.

Unfortunately i didn’t see much of him in the second half.

I’d still much rather have Garcia in than VDM but we’ve just got to hope Laith does ok if he runs out in the RW&B.

If you want proof, McComb has played 13 games this season

Back