Prediction Changes v The Orange

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We really do need to nail our ruck structure and decide what we want English to be. It has huge ramifications regarding list management.
This is where getting a Lobb who can do both fairly well like Tim is crucial so we aren't either breaking even at best in the ruck or having a training cone sitting up forward

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS
We really do need to nail our ruck structure and decide what we want English to be. It has huge ramifications regarding list management.

One of the big issues I see with our List Management is not who is our rucks but rather what type of ruck we want to get the team humming.

The type should dictate the who IMO.

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees
And Garcia isn't and doesn't?
21 pressure acts last week.
They essentially play the same role.
I'm with you on this, Garcia is the smarter footballer of the two (IMO) and as a result the more creative. I also think he's better defensively. The only thing you can bring in that small forward role is pressure on a constant basis, there will be days where you get involved in a lot of the play and others where you just need to do the hard stuff for little reward.

Stef has been dominant in the VFL (against some lesser opponents). I'm with Beveridge on this one. You can't ignore his form.

Simple fact that is right now on short sample form, Martin is our best ruck

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So why has Martin been selected?
1. Because Bev wants to play two rucks so that we win this particular game and Martin is the best option?
Or
2. Because two rucks is part of the structure we need for this initial two week period to win the flag and Martin is the best option for that for this period.
Or
3. Because Martin playing second ruck is the structure that can win us the GF this year?

I am not confident Martin can play 6 successive games so 3 is out. Must be option 1.

That is why he’s not playing he won’t be on the list

Martin may still be on the list next year as back up ruck
I love Stef but god I hope not

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is the Martin selection just because Bevo realises - as he did about this time last year - that English cannot be relied upon to provide a reliable, consistent effort in the ruck and we're now in must-win territory so he needs to change it up. The best of English is great, but we don't see it often enough and too often we see sub-standard performances. Bruce being slow to get back to good form coupled with a good stretch from Martin in the VFL has provided the opportunity to do it.

At least it's two rucks and if English isn't performing well enough in the centre then Martin can be thrown in there. Shouldn't really matter this week (we should be smashing this GWS team given their form and outs), but would be an interesting selection next week for McEvoy's final game.

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
1. Because Bev wants to play two rucks so that we win this particular game and Martin is the best option?
Or
2. Because two rucks is part of the structure we need for this initial two week period to win the flag and Martin is the best option for that for this period.
Or
3. Because Martin playing second ruck is the structure that can win us the GF this year?

I am not confident Martin can play 6 successive games so 3 is out. Must be option 1.
Au contraire

3 is in play because it's 2 weeks .... rest .... and then a block of 4 Dog willing .... and then off into the sunset ... everyone wins

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is the Martin selection just because Bevo realises - as he did about this time last year - that English cannot be relied upon to provide a reliable, consistent effort in the ruck and we're now in must-win territory so he needs to change it up. The best of English is great, but we don't see it often enough and too often we see sub-standard performances. Bruce being slow to get back to good form coupled with a good stretch from Martin in the VFL has provided the opportunity to do it.

At least it's two rucks and if English isn't performing well enough in the centre then Martin can be thrown in there. Shouldn't really matter this week (we should be smashing this GWS team given their form and outs), but would be an interesting selection next week for McEvoy's final game.
Martin starts in the ruck IMO. If he isn't performing well then English gets thrown in there.

I still hold out hope that with a week off and a VFL game, Brucey will get back for finals to form a newly minted 3 headed monster of Bruce, English and JUH whilst another newly minted 3 headed monster takes up residence at the other end. Naughton, Gardner and Darcy....for this season anyway.

These hopes could of course be dashed by Carlton or a self inflicted gunshot wound to the foot in the interim.

spinningmagnets

Debutant
Aug 7, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Stef has built up some very decent form so I can see why they made the call, just shocked that they went that way.
I think that of all the athletic profiles that there ever were, Beveridge rates Vandermeer's athetic profile over any other athletic profile. He is obsessed with getting this guy in the team, and this was off some seriously dodgy football form (despite his ability to athletically move in a certain way).

A fit Martin is still better than a fit Sweet and thats a problem going forward.
There is no doubt about this. Martin's nearly 36 and still has more mobility and more around the ground impact than Sweet. What does this say about Sweet's progress over the past 4 years? In a couple of recent VFL games he looked like the penny had dropped and he was far more energetic and involved than we have seen before. However, this is the standard of performance he must consistently achieve but at a higher level if he's to be taken seriously as a ruck option at our club.

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I wonder if when English is rucking we'll see some Martin back/Darcy forward. Is that too left-field?

Just can't see Martin resting in the forward line much, probably on the bench if he's not rucking and if Bevo says it'll be 50-50 between him and English that would be a bench player down for half the game.

Anyway, they should win comfortably imo - by 6-8 goals at least, but I'm expecting a 60 point plus margin.

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Or
Or

No 3 is why he was recruited last year, didnt work because of injury but he could be the missing link in center bounces......age and injury doesnt help his cause.

Back