Preview Changes v the Suns round 9 @ Metricon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Outs- Ryan Lester, Jaxon Prior.

Ins- James Madden, Keidean Coleman.

Good news for us that Touk has been suspended, he has been in extremely good form this season, no longer just a tagger. The Suns will be right up for this one after losing a game they should have won this round.

Hopefully Madden for Lester

It’s hard to weigh up where Matho, Dev and Prior are in the pecking order. Matho you know what you’re going to get, Dev has upside and Priors ball use can be better than the other two.

Hopefully Madden for Lester

It’s hard to weigh up where Matho, Dev and Prior are in the pecking order. Matho you know what you’re going to get, Dev has upside and Priors ball use can be better than the other two.
Don't think Matho, Dev and Lester are in our best 22 in that order.

Prior looks like he has a bit of scope to improve but whether he has the tank at the moment to maintain his intensity is the issue. Dev needs to strengthen up a bit and develop a little more composure under pressure but given his age and experience he's going ok.

You can argue about some positional changes but Jaxon Prior stays IN for my money.

Looks like a real player and very composed in the big moments, especially with his opportunities around goal.

I've been a Lester fan since forever but after watching that snore-fest in last quarter tonight, I really think we could do with a bit more run and penetration in the back half. We looked awfully slow and unimaginative with the ball in the back line, not only in the last quarter but for most of the second half .

So I'm going

OUT: Lester

IN: Coleman

Our backline mix looked out of kilter last night. Madden, even though has only played the 1 game, adds that bit of variety that we need. Not sure who goes out, possibly Lester.

Big game this one and certainly is no gimme as we don’t really play well down there (Bombers game last year not withstanding).

I wouldn’t mind seeing Madden back in either as I think we were to slow down back last Probably at Lester’s expense although I don’t think he’s done much wrong.

Mathieson would want to improve soon too with Berry/Ely etc potentially due back soon. He really hasn’t been impressive since he’s been back at all.

In better news the forward line is starting to really come along. I just wish off centre clearances when we get the chance to get it forward to a 6 on 6 contest we would take it instead of screwing around with it in midfield. Our forward line could potentially be the most dangerous in the league, give them the best chance by getting it in the 50 early.

Prior and Dev stay in for me. Dev does need to work on his kicking but he is a natural footballer and is doing a lot of good things. I like prior's work on a wing.

Dev played a really good role against Nat Fyfe yesterday. He's coming along nicely and Prior is still taking his chances in front of goal. Need to persist with both of them.

Our forward line is looking really potent. Consistently creating scoring opportunities so we can lock them away. Ah Chee offering more in the role TBerry and KColeman had been playing. Still some work to do on some soft efforts and his ball use but also offers some flexibility.

So we can lock in Daniher, Hipwood, McStay, Cameron, McCarthy and Ah Chee

Backline I think most would like an extra small instead of Lester or possibly Adams. Going forward;

Andrews, Gardiner and one of Adams, Lester or Payne (possibly more if we’re playing a tall team like West Coast) and Rich, Birchall, Starcevich and Madden/Answerth or Ah Chee.

Leaving 9 spots for midfielders; McInerney, Neale, Lyons, McCluggage, Zorko, Robinson, Bailey and two of Berry, Prior, Robertson or Mathieson.

For the past three seasons, the perennial substitute by the same posters is Lester. No matter how well he plays or how entrenched he is in the Fagan’s system, same posters would find a reason to have him as an out. One day it may happen and it should be interesting reading when it does.

Freo were able to chip it around a lot inside our defensive 50, and I think that came down to our defenders not having enough speed to cover everyone quickly enough. Lester doesn't really deserve to lose his spot, but we're playing six defenders without breakaway speed (Harris, Adams, Gardiner, Rich, Birchall, Lester) and you get the feeling it's one too many. We're incredibly dependent on Starcevich to shut down small forwards, but what happens when we face a team with two legitimate small forward threats? And so I agree with the others suggesting Madden come back in, but I doubt it'll happen. Fagan loves his current backline too much to make that change.

The midfield is also suffering a bit without Neale, but there's not a lot we can do about that. I'd consider Ely in for Matho when he's fit again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the past three seasons, the perennial substitute by the same posters is Lester. No matter how well he plays or how entrenched he is in the Fagan’s system, same posters would find a reason to have him as an out. One day it may happen and it should be interesting reading when it does.

Personally I think it is more about team balance at the moment than the players. Individually all the players deserve to keep their spots but to me the defense is a bit out of balance for height and pace. I think we are playing well individually but as a unit I do think it could be working better. The pieces do not complement each other as well as they could.

We are winning games now but will we be able to do the same against the better sides? Should we bite the bullet now and get games into a quicker defender so we are better prepared for later. Then the decision becomes who are you going to leave out.

Gardner and Lester both are in there as utility players and do we need two? Birchall is slow and not great defensively should he be the one to go? Gardner can play tall would it be better to drop Adams given both of them are turnover prone?

Currently we are winning and none of them individually deserve to be dropped which is probably why they haven't been. That still doesn't stop people realising that the defensive unit could be functioning better and trying to find a way to make that happen. In trying to do that there is no easy decision about who to cut. Lester is a mature, no frills defender who does not really catch the eye and has limited upside. He is the easy cut for most people.

Personally I thought Lester played better than Gardner and Adams on the weekend. If I am going to drop someone though he is probably in the top 2.

Keeping a settled back six is probably more important then trialing at the moment. Did like the look of Madden though (one game is probably not enough to say either way really), so happy for him to float in out of the seniors when injury or suspension occurs.

Personally I think it is more about team balance at the moment than the players. Individually all the players deserve to keep their spots but to me the defense is a bit out of balance for height and pace. I think we are playing well individually but as a unit I do think it could be working better. The pieces do not complement each other as well as they could.

We are winning games now but will we be able to do the same against the better sides? Should we bite the bullet now and get games into a quicker defender so we are better prepared for later. Then the decision becomes who are you going to leave out.

Gardner and Lester both are in there as utility players and do we need two? Birchall is slow and not great defensively should he be the one to go? Gardner can play tall would it be better to drop Adams given both of them are turnover prone?

Currently we are winning and none of them individually deserve to be dropped which is probably why they haven't been. That still doesn't stop people realising that the defensive unit could be functioning better and trying to find a way to make that happen. In trying to do that there is no easy decision about who to cut. Lester is a mature, no frills defender who does not really catch the eye and has limited upside. He is the easy cut for most people.

Personally I thought Lester played better than Gardner and Adams on the weekend. If I am going to drop someone though he is probably in the top 2.

Who did Lester play on? Gardiner did a solid job on an all australian squad member key forward. I think Lester just covered on one of their average small forwards. Adams seemed to go to Fyfe when he was forward.

Bit tough to compare Lester to those two

Freo were able to chip it around a lot inside our defensive 50, and I think that came down to our defenders not having enough speed to cover everyone quickly enough. Lester doesn't really deserve to lose his spot, but we're playing six defenders without breakaway speed (Harris, Adams, Gardiner, Rich, Birchall, Lester) and you get the feeling it's one too many. We're incredibly dependent on Starcevich to shut down small forwards, but what happens when we face a team with two legitimate small forward threats? And so I agree with the others suggesting Madden come back in, but I doubt it'll happen. Fagan loves his current backline too much to make that change.

The midfield is also suffering a bit without Neale, but there's not a lot we can do about that. I'd consider Ely in for Matho when he's fit again.

Agreed, but instead of Madden I'd prefer to bring KColeman in and get him to be the utility along with Ah Chee. Keidean's tackling work has been pretty solid and he has good awareness in traffic. His kicking and setup play has been better than others I've seen. Getting games into him will help us build couple of swing options within first 22 so Ah Chee and Coleman can swap between forward line / defense when needed. Don't know whom to drop though :shrug:

Agree. Reckon in every single thread like this the past 2-3 years, his name has been mentioned as an “out” by >80% of posters. Including by myself for a good majority of that time.

We have to accept that Fagan’s not dropping him unless he has a few dud games in a row. Regardless of team balance. He is doing his job.

Surprised Prior’s name has been raised as well. I’ve been super impressed with him this year. He surely stays in for now.

For me our biggest area of improvement is our midfield. Backline & Forward line look to be going ok but when opposition teams get on top of us it always comes from their mids dominating with little resistance from our guys. That said, we seem to struggle to take that momentum back which gives the opposition a huge advantage. Potentially will hurt us against the good sides as the season progress's. Lyon's defensive work is awesome but the remainder of the mid group struggle in those situations. J.Berry is a good defensive mid & should make a difference when he comes back in.

In better news the forward line is starting to really come along. I just wish off centre clearances when we get the chance to get it forward to a 6 on 6 contest we would take it instead of screwing around with it in midfield. Our forward line could potentially be the most dangerous in the league, give them the best chance by getting it in the 50 early.
BRAVO! A few times yesterday we got the ball in tight from a centre bounce and tried to get a man free with high risk handballs, I was screaming just get it forward to the guaranteed 1 v 1s. A scrappy kick into the F50 in that situation and I'd back most of our guys to at least half the contest if not win it.

Having a look through the likely matchups for this weekend the Suns really don't have individuals that scream look out if they're on we're in trouble vibes.

They have a workman like honest feel to them and their "dangerous" types are young and we should handle them very well eg. Ben King, Izak Rankine, Jack Lukosius.

On the other hand we have some hard matchups for them to contend with eg. Charlie, Joe/Hippy combination(Sam Collins is good but can't cover both), our midfield group particularly with the Suns missing Touk Miller looks too classy and deep overall.

If we bring the heat and at least match their intensity it should be a comfortable win. I'm actually already looking forward to Friday weeks game against Richmond more, hopefully our players aren't in the same mindset.

Having a look through the likely matchups for this weekend the Suns really don't have individuals that scream look out if they're on we're in trouble vibes.

They have a workman like honest feel to them and their "dangerous" types are young and we should handle them very well eg. Ben King, Izak Rankine, Jack Lukosius.

On the other hand we have some hard matchups for them to contend with eg. Charlie, Joe/Hippy combination(Sam Collins is good but can't cover both), our midfield group particularly with the Suns missing Touk Miller looks too classy and deep overall.

If we bring the heat and at least match their intensity it should be a comfortable win. I'm actually already looking forward to Friday weeks game against Richmond more, hopefully our players aren't in the same mindset.

Witts being out is massive. Do think we have to pay respect to their mids though, as well as how they move the ball when they are on. I don't think we can just assume it will be as easy as the last couple of years.

I believe we’ll be to good for them, and their defence is light on, but their midfield hasn’t just been the Touk Miller show.

Anderson and Greenwood have been good inside, and Ellis and Lukosius on the wings have been damaging.

Rankine can turn it on, and we don’t have a small defender who can go with him.

Markov still looks raw and is prone to mistakes, but he’s bloody fast running the ball out of defence.

And King is the type of defender Harris struggles with, mobile and athletic, who will lead up to the ball, and mark it at it’s highest point.

They’re not there yet, and missing Witts, Miller and Rowell makes it to big a gap in talent and class.

I believe we’ll be to good for them, and their defence is light on, but their midfield hasn’t just been the Touk Miller show.

Anderson and Greenwood have been good inside, and Ellis and Lukosius on the wings have been damaging.

Rankine can turn it on, and we don’t have a small defender who can go with him.

Markov still looks raw and is prone to mistakes, but he’s bloody fast running the ball out of defence.

And King is the type of defender Harris struggles with, mobile and athletic, who will lead up to the ball, and mark it at it’s highest point.

They’re not there yet, and missing Witts, Miller and Rowell makes it to big a gap in talent and class.

Starcevich can take Rankine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back