Changes v Weagles

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the selectors like having him in the team as he and Libba are probably the only two campaigners in the side

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
VDM had a mare in the first quarter, that holding the ball showed absolutely no peripheral vision, was decent after quarter time though. still a no for me.

Interestingly, Bucks (SEN) was talking about some more obscure pressure stats like implied pressure and corralling in relation to N. Daicos, these must be the metrics keeping VDM in the side, plus that touch of mongrel.

Negative on this.

Macrae is good at what he does, but he's too cumbersome to play in defence without being a marking option. By the time Boyd moved there he was at the peak of his powers, could evade defenders, had amazing groundball skills and could dispose of the ball on both sides of his body. He also had the pace to defend on the lead.
Macrae has some great assets but he is totally one-sided, tends not to keep his feet in a contest, and is too slow to defend a lead.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Interesting point about not keeping his feet. The same issues that Mitch Wallis had.

I thought Williams was pretty good when he went back, showed a few signs of the old Bailey. Considering we’ve trained all preseason with Coffield I don’t mind the idea of Williams stepping straight back into that role long term and we try to get some genuine run on the wings, I don’t mind Williams on the wings, he’s had some good games but he just doesn’t have the running capacity to really star there. Probably more suited to defence and adds another defensive option down there who can play small or tall.

Baker deserves a shot at one wing after a good preseason and a great game, Gags can have first crack at the other with support from Harmes, Sanders etc and Macrae to take Gags inside mins

Garcia/Harmes can take VDMs spot (with the other sub) - they can both run and cover ground and provide that defensive edge to a somewhat similar standard as Vanders but with wayyyy more football IQ and offensive ability

VDM had a mare in the first quarter, that holding the ball showed absolutely no peripheral vision, was decent after quarter time though. still a no for me.

Interestingly, Bucks (SEN) was talking about some more obscure pressure stats like implied pressure and corralling in relation to N. Daicos, these must be the metrics keeping VDM in the side, plus that touch of mongrel.
Some people get picked on "implied ability"

I think Gallagher needs to go back to the 2s it's pretty clear he's not quite ready yet. Just off the pace, and we're not in a position to carry that level of player with someone like Macrae in the 2s.

Poulter is just depth to me, Baker actually has a shot at solidifying a best 22 position so I'd go with him.

Duryea just injury coverage/depth this year. Makes sense for Ed.

JOD for Coffield will come down to whether JOD is ready. No issue bringing him in if they think he's ready.

Macrae for Gallagher
Baker for Poulter
Duryea for Richards
JOD for Coffield

Backs: Jones, JOD, Buku, Dale, JJ, Bramble, Duryea
Mids: English, Bont, Adz, Libba, Macrae, Sanders, Baker, Williams
Fwds: Naughton, JUH, Darcy, Weightman, West, VDM, CD

Much prefer JOD coming straight in rather than via the VFL. If he’s playing on Jeremy Cameron in 2-weeks I’d rather him have a week getting used to the AFL place again, working with Jones, etc. than a VFL game. Sure we all know what happened last year but **** me if it’s Keath vs JOD that makes the difference vs the Eagles then we have bigger issues.

Poulter is just depth to me, Baker actually has a shot at solidifying a best 22 position so I'd go with him.

Agree. I don't like to put down our players, but I just don't see it with Poulter. The desperate dive to save the goal was great, but otherwise he had no real impact.

If Baker can attain a degree of consistency, I'd go with him too.

Feel like this is a big team selection for Cleary.

With both Coffield and Ed as outs and Cleary as the only other mobile tallish defender who's done a full preparation, if he's not in this week his cards are just about marked.

Reckon he's shown enough to get a shot.

With both Coffield and Ed as outs and Cleary as the only other mobile tallish defender who's done a full preparation, if he's not in this week his cards are just about marked.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Freijah brought in to replace Coffield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think he’s ready?

How’d he go in Sundays game?
Probably the closest like for like we have. I would imagine we go for a shift in roles. Either leaving Williams in defence or having Gallagher/VDM playing off of half back to bring in Macrea. The club may however prefer not to tamper with positions. Friejah hasn't put a foot wrong all preseason.

Freijahs big bodied but he’s not great aerially at this stage, I wouldn’t be considering him as a replacement for Richards/Coffield whose main strengths are aerially IMO.

Let him grow in the 2s for a while, looks like a very good winger in the making for mine

I don't rate Cleary but he was listed as an emergency for round 1 so he can't be too far away.

Hopefully there is a plan for Tim Kelly this time.

Hopefully Libba repeats wht he did to Rowell
Libba didn’t play last time we played Weagles hence why we lost…. This week will be a different story trust me I’m a doctor

I reckon VDM stays in. I was in Ballarat and it was clear that a number of times when GC looked like they had free players forward of the ball VDM sprinted hard to get back and cover space. Slowed them down a few times. I suspect the MC will value that highly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back