Changes v West Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi it’s right, form is one thing but you should need to make the team better.

It’s why Trengove struggles to get games even though he is easily the best player in the twos and has been for some time. He struggles to find a spot in the AFL side. (Needs Boak or Rocky to go out)

It’s all well and good to say that publicly, but it’s pretty clear that logic is not followed when it comes to selection.

S Gray didn't make the team better whilst Marshall was omitted did he?

I think when Dixon comes back, everything will be fine. But we need a replacement for him right now. Maybe Ladhams will be that guy. We've tried a system without it, and it works on the wider MCG where there is more space, but on the smaller Adelaide Oval it's just not going to happen.

I'd personally rather send Westhoff back to a wing where he is most dangerous, pair him with Lienert on the other wing and have one or both drift back into defence if necessary.

That way, you can let your half backs like Houston, Burton and Broadbent push forward into midfield safe in the knowledge that if they do, someone will be covering for them in defence. That's what Watts was doing before he got injured.
We won’t see Charlie this year.

He’s a gun.

So gutted he missed that shot at goal, would’ve gone down in history that moment.

I look at it a little different - that he was willing to take the responsibility on his shoulders. As opposed to some of our weaker senior players who ran and hid during that last quarter because they didn't want to be put in that sort of situation.

Sometimes that's the sort of experience that drives you to ensure it never happens again.

Think about it this way. If Duursma did kick the goal do you really think we still would have held on? No way, we still would have found a way to choke that game.

Richmond would have goaled from the centre bounce. It was that sort of game.

I think we can divide many of our players' poor performances as of late into three categories; forward structure related, midfield structure related and form related

Forward Structure related: as a result of dropping a tall in Marshall and bringing in a small in Sam Gray, we've messed with the forward-line structure we had in the first two weeks which has had widespread effects on both our talls and smalls in the forward-line, as the talls are expected to shoulder more weight and our smalls are forced to play taller and have less opportunities given to them by the presence of another tall. These players include:

Ryder - expected to play as the marquee KPF when he is obviously hindered by his facial injury. Sure, questions over his hardness can be brought into discussion, but he should never be the no. 1 forward and shouldering that extra weight and attention.
Westhoff - it's no wonder he won the BnF in a year where we had three tall fowards in Dixon, Watts and Marshall playing for most of the year. He is at his best when he is a swingman and he is damn well good at it. You can use him as a tactical switch as a 3rd or 4th tall forward on game day to exploit opposition weaknesses but it's been obvious since 2007 that he is not a KPF.
Ebert - now being expected to play as a 2nd KPF, which he clearly is not. Works well as a medium forward due to his marking ability and big body. Can run all day and should be made to keep a defender accountable, not to be the one bringing the ball to ground.
Rozee, Butters, S. Gray and R. Gray - all smalls now being expected to play taller due to us being 1 KPF short. Rozee and R. Gray have enough talent to create some opportunities on their own but crumbing opportunities are so limited in our current lineup. It's no wonder Butters' form has gone down, and everything has been said about S. Gray already. He can work in a proper forward-line as a small but we are 1-tall short and he should make way.

Midfield Structure related: we are simply 1 inside midfielder too many after bringing Wines in. Boak and Rockliff are still going alright but all our other inside mids have suffered. These include:

Wines, SPP and Drew - SPP's and Drew's form have both gone down as a result of having Wines in the mix, one of these three simply has to make way. I want it to be Wines, either putting him on ice for the season or sending him back to find match fitness in the Maggies, but knowing Ken it will probably be Drew.

Form-related: players who simply look like they can't be arsed out there, or are struggling to find the ball, use the ball or have a positive impact on the game, not due to the structure-related reasons above. These include:

Motlop, Bonner, DBJ - they are all droppable in current form.

So, to make a long story short I would make the following changes:

Out: S. Gray, Wines, Motlop, Bonner
In: Marshall, Amon/Farrell, Mayes, Lienert

TL;DR - Some players are ****** because of our structure and some players just can't be ******. Fix the structure and half our team will perform better, weed out the other non-performers for players who can be arsed to be there.

Foxfooty predicted side

PREDICTED POWER 22:

B: Riley Bonner, Tom Clurey, Dan Houston

HB: Ryan Burton, Tom Jonas, Jarrod Lienert

C: Sam Gray, Tom Rockliff, Justin Westhoff

HF: Travis Boak, Brad Ebert, Zak Butters

F: Robbie Gray, Paddy Ryder, Connor Rozee

FOL: Scott Lycett, Ollie Wines, Willem Drew

I/C: Sam Powell-Pepper, Xavier Duursma, Dougal Howard, Kane Farrell

Foxfooty predicted side

PREDICTED POWER 22:

B: Riley Bonner, Tom Clurey, Dan Houston

HB: Ryan Burton, Tom Jonas, Jarrod Lienert

C: Sam Gray, Tom Rockliff, Justin Westhoff

HF: Travis Boak, Brad Ebert, Zak Butters

F: Robbie Gray, Paddy Ryder, Connor Rozee

FOL: Scott Lycett, Ollie Wines, Willem Drew

I/C: Sam Powell-Pepper, Xavier Duursma, Dougal Howard, Kane Farrell

No Marshall, must need another 48 weeks working on stuff.

In the mix: Who's pushing for selection for round five?
Port Adelaide

Get them in: Defender Jarrod Lienert is back in form after a knee injury, with 33 disposals and nine marks in Port's 21-point SANFL win against North Adelaide. Tall forward Todd Marshall got back among the goals with 4.2, Sam Mayes pressed his claims with 28 touches on a wing while Jack Trengove continues to find plenty of the ball with 35 touches, but it's hard to find room for him in the Power midfield.

Under the pump: Steven Motlop had just seven disposals in the Power's loss to Richmond. Zak Butters and Sam Powell-Pepper struggled, while Dougal Howard will face competition from Lienert.

Medical room: Midfielder Karl Amon will have his knee injury assessed this week but is more likely to return through the SANFL.

Verdict: The Power will make three changes – Lienert in for Howard, Mayes to make his Power debut in place of the out-of-form Motlop and Marshall in for Butters. - Lee Gaskin

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-16/in-the-mix-whos-pushing-for-selection-for-round-five

I look at it a little different - that he was willing to take the responsibility on his shoulders. As opposed to some of our weaker senior players who ran and hid during that last quarter because they didn't want to be put in that sort of situation.

Sometimes that's the sort of experience that drives you to ensure it never happens again.

In the last quarter he was demanding the ball, throwing his arms up constantly while the rest just slowly moved around , that's why he got the mark he wanted to win it unlike the other zombies up there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the last quarter he was demanding the ball, throwing his arms up constantly while the rest just slowly moved around , that's why he got the mark he wanted to win it unlike the other zombies up there
I honestly think they should adjust the 30 second rule significantly for situations like that one.

It really isn’t that hard to just stop the clock until the player starts moving or some s**t, and we’d see accuracy improve a shitload I reckon.

Having a shot after the siren is so much easier vs having a shot 30 seconds before IMO.

Probably. But are you really comparing a player that has played 4 games to a player that has played 27? The more experienced a player is, the greater accountability for poor performance.

Don't forget Drews in year 3 with club , the reference to 4 games might lead some to think he's new . So he's been in the AFL system for 2 and a bit seasons if not often in team

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back