Preview Changes v Western Bulldogs - Rd 11, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

That extra tall always felt so risky.
Two dangerous forwards in the VFL was never going to fly, but weeks 7-10 was the time to try it and its frustrating that neither found form.

Brown had 4 disposals in the VFL he shouldn’t come in for Weid. Sam needs a few games in a row to show his wares imo I’d give him at least one more game.
My main issue is that over the past 24 months there has been no indication that Weid & Brown can function together as a 1 & 2 tall combo

I am happy to be proven wrong but McDonald having easily his worst game of the year when him and Weid play as the two key forwards ins't a great sign considering their inability to gel over the past 2 years

Brown and McDonald looks like possibly the better combo regardless of Browns performance at Casey on the weekend

I think in Brown's favour he will demand the other team's top defender, freeing up our other forwards, Weid doesn't do that.
At the moment though it's a toss up between them, neither of them float my boat at this stage.
It's a pity our forward line is still not functioning properly, we should have this s**t sorted out already.

It's a pity our forward line is still not functioning properly, we should have this sh*t sorted out already.

Bit hard when both blokes got injured when they did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roughly eight years, the year is 2013. It is a cold dreary day at the MCG, Melbourne vs Western bulldogs. 16th vs 17th on the ladder, with the new GWS giants the only team sitting beneath the two sides. Mark Neeld had been sacked just two weeks ago. Not much of a skilful game in the cold conditions, but a hard fought contest between two bottom sides desperate to win some respect.

Good to see eight years later these two sides are now able to play off as the two top sides rather than the two bottom sides. (Gws excluded)

(For what it's worth Melbourne took home the chocolates in 2013)

Roughly eight years, the year is 2013. It is a cold dreary day at the MCG, Melbourne vs Western bulldogs. 16th vs 17th on the ladder, with the new GWS giants the only team sitting beneath the two sides. Mark Neeld had been sacked just two weeks ago. Not much of a skilful game in the cold conditions, but a hard fought contest between two bottom sides desperate to win some respect.

Good to see eight years later these two sides are now able to play off as the two top sides rather than the two bottom sides. (Gws excluded)

I was in absolute raptures that day. God that win meant so much.

Majority of dogs fans and the wider footy public will be expecting the dogs to walk it in on Friday. Hope the group really steps back up for this. Tall forwards could stretch the dogs defence but I agree it’s time to go back to smaller forward, pressure game. We have to harass the dogs mids all night so our defence can dominate.

Melksham and Jetta are certainties out

VFL standouts:

Bedford - 2 goals, 15 disposals
Baker - 1 goal, 26 disposals
Jones - 1 goal, 17 disposals
M Brown - 2.5, 7 marks
Lockhart - 26 disposals
Sparrow - 22 disposals

In - Lockhart, Bedford, Baker, Salem
Out - Melksham, Jetta, Hunt, Sparrow

B - Lever, May, Hibberd
HB - Salem, Petty, Rivers
C - Langdon, Petracca, Brayshaw
HF - Pickett, McDonald, Spargo
F - Bedford, Weideman, Fritsch
Ruck - Gawn, Oliver, Harmes
Int - Jackson, Jordan, Baker, Neal - Bullen

I'm not expecting a win against the dogs, purely because the players that were leading our good form over first 6 weeks are now looking tired or out of touch- kosi, ANB, Hunt, Spargo, JJ, Jacko.. as well as losing the grunt work of Viney and the sureness of Salem (as well as Tommo freeing up lever and petty not quite being at that level yet).

The extra tall isn't working, so I'd take weid out and bring in sparrow. More time forward for gawn and Jacko. Free up Melksham playing higher half forward to keep Daniel a bit more accountable. Dogs midfielders really get back to help out across half back, so our mids can't get sucked too high, and if we are too tall (like we have been) they'll just overlap handball and walk it out free will.

I'm so disappointed at Weideman, nice night, 54 entries and he dishes up that trash. He's really testing the belief.

Hunt has been good most of the year, he's got points. ANB has put in trash since being good early in the year, Fritsch too. Still disappointed they dropped Chandler, would have been a good game for him to get up to speed.

She's pretty light on in the change rooms though, can only really bring in Bedford, Chandler, Lockhart, brown x2 or Baker.

I remember after the game as I headed back to Richmond train station, I couple of blokes chanting Neil Craig! Neil Craig!

Those were some dark times, those two seasons where we had mark Neeld (including the end of 2013) we had a total of about six wins. We've already reached 9 wins by the half way mark of this season.

I guess it's just your MFCSS kicking in so shouldn't judge, but I'm as relaxed and confident as I've ever been that we will bounce back.

Yeh I'm not worried about this one. From 8 goals 5 points each, they went on and kicked 7 1 (which was rushed) and we kicked 6 6, chuck in those couple of shocker decisions at the end, they were lucky to pip us.

Granted our defensive game wasn't up to scratch this week, but to Adelaide's credit they played an attacking and daring style all game and did so with high skill, so we were unable to score a couple of cheap goals from turnovers (because they didn't make any seriously bad ones) which would've slowed them a bit and allowed us to get the game on our terms.

Expecting our defence to be back in action this week, if we can keep the dogs to around 70 we win.

Majority of dogs fans and the wider footy public will be expecting the dogs to walk it in on Friday. Hope the group really steps back up for this. Tall forwards could stretch the dogs defence but I agree it’s time to go back to smaller forward, pressure game. We have to harass the dogs mids all night so our defence can dominate.

No way do I think we romp this one in. The dees have all areas covered with an advantage in key defenders and ruck strength. At full strength with Dunks and AT we would have advantage in the midfield. Last week the saints just gave up the difference between the dees and the saints is chalk and cheese. The fact it is at Marvel may see us win in a close one.

Thoughts on Friday's game potentially being played behind closed doors? Probably a favourite at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back