Strategy Changes vs Adelaide Crows Rd 13 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't we tried Waterman down and proved already that as a backman he shouldn't be at that end of the ground. The Rankine matchup worries me, can't see anyone of the group we have available able to lock him down. Will be interesting to see but I doubt Williams can cover down back whilst rucking like he did last week. Shuey running off the backline screams torn hamstring/calf/achilles/toe to me. Still predicting a 70+ point loss.
Never mind the Rankin match-up, with no recognized tall defenders, Tex is gonna kick a dozen

Haven't we tried Waterman down and proved already that as a backman he shouldn't be at that end of the ground. The Rankine matchup worries me, can't see anyone of the group we have available able to lock him down. Will be interesting to see but I doubt Williams can cover down back whilst rucking like he did last week. Shuey running off the backline screams torn hamstring/calf/achilles/toe to me. Still predicting a 70+ point loss.
I dont know, have we? I mean its not like we are flush with options anyway. I have seen him drift down there a bit and take some releiving marks but not sure if he was actually playing the position.
I know he got shitcanned a bit last week but I thought he did a pretty good job competing in the air against their big defenders and managed to bring it to ground a few times when he was battling against 2 of them. I dont think he is our saviour but probably our best option.
What I dont want is to get too concerned about our defence, accept it will be underdone and try to play some attacking footy and put some score on the board. Put it this way, I'd much rather lose 90-140 and OA kick a handful than lose by the same margin 25- 75 and have Tex kick 5 on Oscar.

As for Shuey- do you think the midfield will be less risk? Thats why I have him at HBF- to minimise his risk. He is still probably our best clearance player but I'd say he doubles his ping factor going straight back into the mids.

Never mind the Rankin match-up, with no recognized tall defenders, Tex is gonna kick a dozen
I think Hough will be given a job on Rankin. Will he be up to it? Who knows, he is a gun small forward and very difficult matchup for any defender but I think Hough can give it a good crack.

Man, we are up the proverbial creek if we have to resort to playing Maric. The lad has been with us for 8 days? How the hell is he supposed to know how we play?
He won't, but it's still just football and he's a natural forward. He can be directed by Darling, Allen and even players like Petch who have a better understanding of where he should be. His natural game is as a forward though, leading is leading and he'll be fine.

Yes we are up the proverbial creek though with injuries or I doubt he'd have gotten a look in just yet. I like it though, will see something different in this weeks setup I am sure.

Man, we are up the proverbial creek if we have to resort to playing Maric. The lad has been with us for 8 days? How the hell is he supposed to know how we play?
You say that like it’s a bad thing! Maybe it’s best he just goes out and plays on the instinct the way we’ve been going this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know the 'on paper' thing hasn't worked out for us since 2019, but that's easily the best on paper midfield we've had this year.

And sure, Shuey, Yeo, Kelly, Sheed aren't the future. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited to see the old guard go around again together one more time.

And that's something I never imagined typing at the beginning of the season!

Surely Barnett travels for a trip home to Adelaide with a sneaky chance of a debut.

During the press conference yesterday, Simpson indicated we’d be taking a couple of travelers over to Adelaide which suggests a squad of 25

On that basis Barnett would be on the plane I suspect with probably Trew and Chesser. Williams to stay home with Dewar to lead the WAFL charge

During the press conference yesterday, Simpson indicated we’d be taking a couple of travelers over to Adelaide which suggests a squad of 25

On that basis Barnett would be on the plane I suspect with probably Trew and Chesser. Williams to stay home with Dewar to lead the WAFL charge
Wouldn't Barnett be able to go home the following week anyway with the bye?

The rest of the team and the coach have no idea how we play so Maric won't be an orphan in that department.

Wouldn't Barnett be able to go home the following week anyway with the bye?

Might stay over for a few days after the game when the players are on their break

If we we’re taking two extras it also suggests someone isn’t a certainty to start Saturday

Only the 6 forced changes this week. Ho hum.

Concussion
Medial ligament
Suspension/infected toe
Broken thumb
Hip soreness
Hamstring

At least 4, maybe 5, of those are outside the control of our medical/S&C people

We’ve found some truly remarkable ways to rule players out this season

I think thats the worst backline we have ever fielded. I'm struggling to think of a worse one. Maybe 2000 era

McGovern
Barrass
Hurn
Duggan
Cole
Jones

That’s arguably our starting 6 backline all missing

Plus Harry Edwards and to a lesser extent, Rotham

That’s a lot to cover

Remove this Banner Ad

Back