Prediction Changes: Vs Adelaide + Pre-match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Each to their own but you do subscribe to the ABC - anyone but colyer - perspective. When Banfield was dropped and Colyer wasn't you were equally livid.
I don't rate him either but surely you admit Matera has been absolutely worse? Like Banfield was. Last two weeks Colyer has been ok and they've rightly dropped guys that needed to be dropped more than him. In my opinion, having never won a handball comp
If Colyer had kicked 3 goals and had 15 disposals this board would still be calling for him to be dropped.

smashed in the middle again. no fyfe. yep, midfield is good to go. No need for Blakely. Play on. :rolleyes:

He played pre season matches in the middle and burnt the ball so badly that he was dropped for round 1.

I'm with you there, his disposal was pretty ordinary at times last year too, and is the reason he's not getting games IMO. Serong is known for his clean disposal by hand and foot so the match committee have decided he keeps his spot instead of bringing Blakely in, and I would expect all of Brayshaw/Cerra/Serong to get more midfield time and more responsibility. What better game to try this than against Adelaide? I think it's as simple as that and nothing to do with character or effort, and I would expect Blakely to fight his way back in at some point, until then I'm happy for him to be a depth player and would surely come in if another mid got injured.

Last edited:
Yeah it’s gr8 that they try hard, but they are fumblers
Not many premiership teams can carry fumblers
Basically they aren’t AFL standard, and we got reamed by Essendon picking Colyer up for 3 long years

Agreed but we are playing for the spoon 2mrw not the flag so who cares if they aren't the future , a win would be a good thing for everyone

I trust Longmuir to make the right calls. If he thinks Blakely doesn't deserve a spot this week or doesn't fit into the gameplan then I trust him. If he feels that Darcy will be the difference maker in our midfield this week then I trust him. He's experimenting. He knows more about the players and the club than we do. We're not footy experts.

Wot

Each to their own but you do subscribe to the ABC - anyone but colyer - perspective. When Banfield was dropped and Colyer wasn't you were equally livid.
I don't rate him either but surely you admit Matera has been absolutely worse? Like Banfield was. Last two weeks Colyer has been ok and they've rightly dropped guys that needed to be dropped more than him. In my opinion, having never won a handball comp

Just ok for a 28year old is just not good enough. Any of the younger boys could be just ok with the plus being they just might be part of our future.

Colyer or Schultz out, Walters forward and Blakely to the middle!!

I just can't see why this hasn't happened! Flabbergasted!

I'm so anti-walters-midfield now! Not based on any stats, just the eye.

No stats wanted. Thanks anyway though.
Theres a very strong case to be made that Fyfe should play CHF and Walters HFF. Both are offensive beasts with limited accountability (I think Fyfe's defensive weaknesses are exaggerated but theres no doubt he's much better offesnively.) Walters often overdoes it through the midfield, trying to create but instead fumbling/making vital errors that lead to opposition goals.

It's not a shot on either of these guys, more a question of are they playing in a position that really allows them to play to their strengths fully. Having Fyfe as a high CHF would be a defenders nightmare - he's probably the best 1 on 1 player in the comp both in the air and at ground level. Having him sit a kick ahead of the play would be really worrying for opposition coaches. Walters pure strength as a midfielder is his ability to hit the scoreboard. Having him sit 20/30m away from Fyfe would really make us dynamic going forward. Especially if you chuck Hogan and Tabs on the lead into consideration.

The other side of that is of course. Do we have the midfield to make that move? Could {Cerra, Mundy, Tucker} produce similar results to {Fyfe, Walters, Tucker} as a first choice midfield?

Fyfe this year looks more like a forward to me than ever before and im surprised he hasn't been stationed there to start the games a bit more.

And what is that?

Xavier Ellis does a podcast and one of the recent episodes is with Michael Barlow. During the chat they discuss playing in the position of high half forward which they refer to as Death Valley (essentially the position that ended barlows career with freo).

Basically in short they say that the role of the position involves you being stuck in no mans land as you watch the ball constantly get kicked over your head, but the importance of being able to fill space and block exits as the opposition try’s to rebound out of defensive 50.

Sounds like the perfect spot for a relatively unskilled but disciplined fast hard running player like colyer who doesn’t need to prove himself by getting sucked in to the play to try collect possessions.

Just wish when it does go near him he didn’t fumble so often!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theres a very strong case to be made that Fyfe should play CHF and Walters HFF. Both are offensive beasts with limited accountability (I think Fyfe's defensive weaknesses are exaggerated but theres no doubt he's much better offesnively.) Walters often overdoes it through the midfield, trying to create but instead fumbling/making vital errors that lead to opposition goals.

It's not a shot on either of these guys, more a question of are they playing in a position that really allows them to play to their strengths fully. Having Fyfe as a high CHF would be a defenders nightmare - he's probably the best 1 on 1 player in the comp both in the air and at ground level. Having him sit a kick ahead of the play would be really worrying for opposition coaches. Walters pure strength as a midfielder is his ability to hit the scoreboard. Having him sit 20/30m away from Fyfe would really make us dynamic going forward. Especially if you chuck Hogan and Tabs on the lead into consideration.

The other side of that is of course. Do we have the midfield to make that move? Could {Cerra, Mundy, Tucker} produce similar results to {Fyfe, Walters, Tucker} as a first choice midfield?

Fyfe this year looks more like a forward to me than ever before and im surprised he hasn't been stationed there to start the games a bit more.
This nonsense again. He would
Get eaten alive by the best key backs, too slow and too short. He's only ever going to play forward for short burts with a midfield match-up.

Xavier Ellis does a podcast and one of the recent episodes is with Michael Barlow. During the chat they discuss playing in the position of high half forward which they refer to as Death Valley (essentially the position that ended barlows career with freo).

Basically in short they say that the role of the position involves you being stuck in no mans land as you watch the ball constantly get kicked over your head, but the importance of being able to fill space and block exits as the opposition try’s to rebound out of defensive 50.

Sounds like the perfect spot for a relatively unskilled but disciplined fast hard running player like colyer who doesn’t need to prove himself by getting sucked in to the play to try collect possessions.

Just wish when it does go near him he didn’t fumble so often!!
Ultimately your right. Thing is if your only gonna get 5-10 possessions a game, you want them to count. If Colyer was cleaner - he'd fill the role really well. It's not a spot we've got guys screaming out to play, but perhaps Henry/Sturt can fill it as time goes on.

Well this is the first time I've been genuinely puzzled by selection. Obviously Colyer and Shultz perform some vital defensive forward function cause neither of them can football very well.

I reckon Blakely is a 30+ possession guy if you play him around stoppages all day and I would have thought that was what was needed more this week.

Well this is the first time I've been genuinely puzzled by selection. Obviously Colyer and Shultz perform some vital defensive forward function cause neither of them can football very well.

I reckon Blakely is a 30+ possession guy if you play him around stoppages all day and I would have thought that was what was needed more this week.
What is jl doing.
This is ross lyon type selection.
Playing favs & not rewarding tangible performances.

Watching second rate plodders getting games saps the enthusiasm out of being a supporter .
If Lyon was still there and was part of these team selections he would be hung drawn and quartered .

Watching second rate plodders getting games saps the enthusiasm out of being a supporter .
If Lyon was still there and was part of these team selections he would be hung drawn and quartered .
I feel J-Lo is just trying to experiment to see what works but I could be wrong. I reckon no matter how bad you were before you deserve a clean slate under a new coach at least.

I think it has a bit to do with role in the team. Theoretically A mid in Fyfe goes out so a mid in Blakely comes in makes sense. However they want to make different structure changes as well with Darcy as ruck and Lobb up forward. So rather than bring in another midfield they just change up rotations in the fwd line a bit and bring in Darcy. That is the logic behind their selection I imagine. Blakely is probably better than Colyer and Shultz in his own way. But in theory Colyer and Shultz brings something to the team that Blakely can not.
But in theory Colyer and Shultz brings something to the team that Blakely can not.
You could start a thread with this as a title. ;) I’m going to go with...
Elite fumblers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back