Prediction Changes: Vs Adelaide + Pre-match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t. I shudder at the thought we were about to give up two first round picks for him.

Obviously hindsight but if he feels like making an effort he might make our 22. The guy thinks life is good, doesn’t realise that he is 1/500,000 pay check he’s been given and a Crack at AFL. If he can’t make 22 now there’s an issue.

All the best young bloke but enjoy reality when you hit 30. Retirements a long way off.
That was the club's fault for thinking the guy was the solution to our forward issues. I still can't believe looking back that people genuinely thought he was a tall key forward when he never was one to begin with.

That was the club's fault for thinking the guy was the solution to our forward issues. I still can't believe looking back that people genuinely thought he was a tall key forward when he never was one to begin with.
No doubt the club thought he was an important piece of a few parts of the solution but I think you actually mean the fans here thinking he was the solution to the forward line problem. Anyone that actually sat down to watch him play a bit at GWS properly could see that he wasn't a key forward type and very likely never would be. Whilst he has been disappointing for most of the time over here, the massive amount the bloke was getting hyped up on here before arrival was pretty silly. And then when he fell far short of this on form and player type he really was many of the same were quick to turn on him.

It was more to do with how starved of oppurtunites we were trading & drafting fwds. And the fact he was the first genuine forward in recent times who wanted to actually come to freo for a change.

Last edited:

... And not to mention that when we offered two first rounders, at the time that was looking to be two picks in the 14-18 range given we were challenging at the time.

... Huge bullet dodged in hindsight.

Cam Mac was an extremely exciting talent before he came here. He's evolved into an awesome bloke off the field (also hilarious and quick witted). He prioritizes his mental health over his footy though. I understand he wants to be an advocate in the field post footy.

He's 193cm. And not exactly big on defensive pressure from memory.

Maybe more a 3rd tall then a key forward, but he's still a tall forward.
He plays like a flanker though.

His best work is outside F50 moving into F50, using space on the flanks or getting kicks from short lead-ups. He has never played like a tall forward, and his worst footy has always come when he is trying to fulfill that role.

Do tell....

Check out the Media Thread.

Hale said he needs to work on his defensive game and some other issues he's speaking to Jlo about specifically. What do they mean by defensive game exactly? It's such a broad term.

Hale also said there's a plethora of ball hunters to choose from. There may be youngsters on the list with that title, but none can do it as well as Blakely can. Perhaps this is Jlo really playing the long game? Blakely just turned 24 though so that logic doesn't exactly make sense. I wonder if Brayshaw/Cerra types could take some time in the 2nds to evolve their game a bit

I don't think it is an equivalent to compare McCarthy as a trade when he was in contract and up and about for GWS but needing to come home, to McCarthy having been forced into isolation for a year with his personal issues for company and no certainty about his future. Sliding doors open and close and different outcomes result.

Hale said he needs to work on his defensive game and some other issues he's speaking to Jlo about specifically. What do they mean by defensive game exactly? It's such a broad term.

Hale also said there's a plethora of ball hunters to choose from. There may be youngsters on the list with that title, but none can do it as well as Blakely can. Perhaps this is Jlo really playing the long game? Blakely just turned 24 though so that logic doesn't exactly make sense. I wonder if Brayshaw/Cerra types could take some time in the 2nds to evolve their game a bit

This is the same type of thing people say about Trump when he does something stupid.

Purely a guess, but a classic example of what I think Hale is talking about is the end of that Carlton game last year.

There was a stoppage inside their F50. Blakely was standing Marc Murphy. From the stoppage Murphy worked hard to track the play as it bounced around their forward 50, ended up on the end of a handball, and snapped the winning goal.

Good for Murphy — but what about Blakely? The tape shows he totally and utterly failed to defend Murphy from the stoppage. He barely jogged after him. At the end of the play, Murphy was 10+ m ahead of Blakely.

I’m guessing that is the stuff they don’t want to see in his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I'm just speculating, I don't know why. No need to snipe.
Oh yeah i wasn't trying to have a go at you.

sorry if it came across like that. Maybe I'm just thinking out loud, cos I'm doing the same thing, trying to rationalize the things I don't understand. Obviously we don't have all the info so we are all speculating on why things do or don't happen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back