Preview Changes vs Adelaide - Round 9, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it though? Perhaps if they removed their traditional marquee games that only serve a single state for a start then maybe they could make it work for everyone. You'd think public holidays only occurred in Victoria.

Whilst you're 100% correct, I think the simple reason is that the MCG can hold the most people and they're guaranteed a healthy crowd. While a West Coast marquee game could get 60k you will probably get that at the MCG, with potential to go higher. Here are the games which are deemed marquee and years which they pulled above 55k.
Carlton vs Richmond (Opening day, started 2007): 2007-2019
Richmond vs Essendon (Dreamtime, started 2005): 2005-2019
Essendon vs Collingwood (ANZAC day, started 1995): 1995-2019
Collingwood vs Melbourne (Queen's bday, started 2001): Every year except 2013 (50,853) and 2020
Geelong vs Hawthorn (Easter Monday, started 2009 (At least started hosting it at the MCG): 2009-2019

It's easier to have Melbourne based teams in marquee games cause the AFL get's more money off of it because crowd revenue is generally higher.

Whilst you're 100% correct, I think the simple reason is that the MCG can hold the most people and they're guaranteed a healthy crowd. While a West Coast marquee game could get 60k you will probably get that at the MCG, with potential to go higher. Here are the games which are deemed marquee and years which they pulled above 55k.
Carlton vs Richmond (Opening day, started 2007): 2007-2019
Richmond vs Essendon (Dreamtime, started 2005): 2005-2019
Essendon vs Collingwood (ANZAC day, started 1995): 1995-2019
Collingwood vs Melbourne (Queen's bday, started 2001): Every year except 2013 (50,853) and 2020
Geelong vs Hawthorn (Easter Monday, started 2009 (At least started hosting it at the MCG): 2009-2019

It's easier to have Melbourne based teams in marquee games cause the AFL get's more money off of it because crowd revenue is generally higher.

And that's exactly where the problem lies - it's all about the cash. For a not for profit organisation, they're certainly driven by making a profit.

Anyway rather not get myself into a rant.

And that's exactly where the problem lies - it's all about the cash. For a not for profit organisation, they're certainly driven by making a profit.

Anyway rather not get myself into a rant.
Revenue and profit are not the same. But the AFL as a business is about market share and revenue. It isn't a sprorting organisation. It states internally it is in the entertainment business.

My point is that there will be fixture qurks like this all the time. We’re aren’t the only team that cop this. The AFL fixturing is one if not the most difficult one to do in the world.
We hardly play the bombers away. I think 2017 was the last time. The poor bastards keep drawing Thursday nights against us (even thay 2019 final). This year it will be a Saturday night massacre.

I hope they know what they are doing. History recently shows they don't.

Kennedy should take a week off. Oscar can have a proper crack at full forward for once without having to 2nd ruck.

Barrass and Gov also better be 110% ready to go. Wouldn't mind seeing Edwards getting another game anyway.

What's the odds on one of those 3 re-injuring themselves.

Suspect JK will be a late out.

Surely. Otherwise it might be the tallest side we’ve ever fielded, which is saying something.

Naitanui, Williams, Kennedy, Darling, Allen, Waterman, Barrass, McGovern, Rotham and Brander, that’s 10 guys 191cm or above. Wow.

JK possibly a late out.

Huge lineup but as we’ve discussed many times the height isn’t the issue provided the height is mobile. Waterman, Brander, Darling, Allen, Rotham hell even Williams. Happy with all of them as ultra mobile “talls”.

Great to have Gov and TB back. Not expecting, but really hoping we can have a season changing victory tomorrow. Let’s get after it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide have debutant Ronin O'Connor this week . Was a 2nd rounder 2 years ago and WA captain if I remember correctly.

Good to have a look at a young WA inside mid
Straight to TK and initiation by fire in the middle I reckon.

His junior footy resume is impressive.

Its just not worth it risking JK

Remember, this is the same brains trust that sent Shuey back on after doing a hamstring, justified it with "they didn't think he would do any more damage" and then were shocked that he did his other hamstring.

Our track record with these things doesn't inspire any faith. If there is doubt give JK the week off

My point is that there will be fixture qurks like this all the time. We’re aren’t the only team that cop this. The AFL fixturing is one if not the most difficult one to do in the world.

Agree the fixturing is difficult but I assume they use these new things called computers. But it'd be interesting to know what pre-determined outcomes they program in (e.g. Coll-Ess Anzac Day etc etc). Might be 'interesting'.

Its just not worth it risking JK

Remember, this is the same brains trust that sent Shuey back on after doing a hamstring, justified it with "they didn't think he would do any more damage" and then were shocked that he did his other hamstring.

Our track record with these things doesn't inspire any faith. If there is doubt give JK the week off
The only doubt seems to be members of this board though.

ROB 19 disposal 9 marks ( 4 contested) 7 tackles 12 hitouts

Natanui 7 disposals 0 marks 3 tackles 24 hitouts 1 goal .

Sure nic had more hitouts but O'Brien did exactly what he said he would do and run off him all day and had a massive day especially in reduced game length
Just wondering

Who won?

Reasonably important stat…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back