Prediction Changes vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would've thought a ruckman would have more clearances than a key forward?

Marshall isn't a key forward at this stage of his career. People should stop pretending like he is.

The fact that he has less goal assists and less score involvements is what you should be looking at.

Tall forwards are expected to take contested marks and kick goals. If Ken truly sees Marshall as a vertically-gifted small forward then we're really f•cked.
Marshall has taken 6 marks over the first 2 weeks and just 1 instead 50...

Yep if Sam Gray played well vs Crows reserves 2 weeks ago he would have been emergency last week and if Farrell played (and played well vs West Adelaide), he probs would be in the AFL side this week.
Suffering from success

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Marshall isn't a key forward at this stage of his career. People should stop pretending like he is.

The fact that he has less goal assists and less score involvements is what you should be looking at.

Yeah I know, just being facetious.

I'm not as annoyed by Marshall being dropped as I am Sam being picked. We know what we're getting with him and I'd rather see someone given games that still has a ceiling to reach.

I'm not as annoyed by Marshall being dropped as I am Sam being picked. We know what we're getting with him and I'd rather see someone given games that still has a ceiling to reach.

If Farrell wasn't the emergency this week, and Sam was, I have no doubt that Kane would be playing. It's just a luck of the draw thing that saw Gray replacing Todd...but there's no way Sam is best 22. He's the perfect candidate to come out of the side when Dixon returns.

It's actually 6 years.
2014:
- Schulz, Westhoff, Butcher
- Butcher dropped after 2 goals in 2 games
- Replaced by Sam Gray

2015:
Schulz, Westhoff, Butcher
- Butcher lasts one game (a game where he kicked more goals than Westhoff and Schulz combined I might add)
- Replaced by Redden (fat, unfit ruckman that had been injured for 3 years, and never played another game).
- Down to two talls by rnd 3
- Butcher as 3rd tall makes a comeback in rnd 20 when we are 6-12. We beat a rampaging GWS and win 4 on the trot.

2016:
- Dixon, Schulz, Westhoff
- Schulz does his back in rnd 1, plays two more games for his career
- Schulz replaced by Sam Gray in rnd 2, Butcher having kicked 4 in rnd 1 in the SANFL
- Butcher doesn't get a game until rnd 17 when we are out of finals contention. Kicks 4, BOG. Kicks a third of our score next week as we get trounced by Sydney in the wet. Never plays another game.

2017:
- Dixon, Westhoff, Eddy
- Eddy kicks 3 goals in two games.
- Eddy is dropped for Jake Neade in rnd 3. Never plays again.
- We resort to playing Jackson Trengove as a negating tall forward, then give him away to the Bulldogs for free.

2018:
- Dixon, Watts, Marshall, Westhoff as wingman/utility
- Ryder does his Achilles before half time
- Rather than replace Ryder with a ruckman, we use Dixon in ruck and replace him with Jake Neade for rnd 2.
- Jake Neade plays 5 games without kicking a goal.
Marshall and Watts kick 14 goals between them by rnd 2, then about 5 more for the rest of the season as structure goes out the window because our young ruckman 'aren't ready'
- Frampton plays 1 game in rnd 23 when the season is shot. Even though he's not ready, he takes 4 contested marks and kicks goals as a forward ruck.

2019:
Ryder, Marshall, Westhoff
- Marshall kicks 1 in rnd 1
- Marshall kicks 0 in rnd 2 in the wet. Ryder and Westhoff also kick 0.
- Marshall dropped for Sam Gray.

In 2014, Butcher was a 22 year old 20 game, 30 goal KPF coming of a long injury.

In 2019, Marshall is a 21 year old, 10 game, 15 goal KPF coming off a year where both his parents died of cancer.

They both got dropped for Sam ******* Gray.

Our KPF depth is:
32 Westhoff (Utility, Beard)
31 Ryder (Ruckman)
29 Dixon (Glass Ankles)
22 Frampton (Ruckman)
21 Marshall
20 Ladhams (Ruckman)
19 Hayes (Ruckman)

Let's play Sam Gray instead. He has such a high ceiling, and will definitely fill the hole at full forward in a couple of years time.

I didn't see this yesterday, but fantastic breakdown of the living hell it has been as a supporter wanting Ports to stick to a structure and develop tall forwards in the Hinkley era. Great post.

Who would've thought a ruckman would have more clearances than a key forward?

And 4 times as many goal assists and double the score involvements.

People are grossly over reacting to Marshall being dropped. Sending him to the SANFL to find form and conficance is the right decision.

I didn't see this yesterday, but fantastic breakdown of the living hell it has been as a supporter wanting Ports to stick to a structure and develop tall forwards in the Hinkley era. Great post.
Thanks scorch, feel free to plagiarise for your Butcher (the man, the legend) magnum opus.

As I noted to the legendary Ra Man, it is not fact checked and i'm there are plenty of inaccuracies. But the vibe is correct.

Also I forgot to add: Jack Watts (half back flanker) to our KPF depth chart.

Him being a traditional key forward is irrelevant. He's still a tall marking target which helps our ball movement and ability to create space moving forward. The fact that he can play smaller should be something in his favour. We only have 1 genuine key forward on our list, and he's out indefinitely at this stage recovering from a broken leg.

Buddy Franklin isn't a key forward either really, he plays like a tall medium forward.

If Farrell wasn't the emergency this week, and Sam was, I have no doubt that Kane would be playing. It's just a luck of the draw thing that saw Gray replacing Todd...but there's no way Sam is best 22. He's the perfect candidate to come out of the side when Dixon returns.

Dixon might be weeks away, there's nothing definitive as yet. Until then, we've changed our structure significantly, which we'll have to do again when Dixon comes back.

Keeping Hinkley has given us some Stability in the coach's box, but it gives us instability in terms of how we play the game because he places zero value on having a sound structure and everyone knowing their role. That instability has seen us flounder since 2014.

And 4 times as many goal assists and double the score involvements.

People are grossly over reacting to Marshall being dropped. Sending him to the SANFL to find form and conficance is the right decision.

People are 'grossly over reacting' to our 6th year of Groundhog day, where we start the season with a certain amount of tall forwards and then within a few rounds we've lost one and changed the structure for no good reason. This isn't a one off. I have no idea how anyone can have any faith in Hinkley's ability to get the selection of Marshall right over the next couple of seasons.

Can't wait until we have the usual suspects saying that Marshall "had to be" traded or delisted because he wasn't good enough or didn't fit in with the team or the gameplan or whatever. We haven't developed a genuine KPF since Tredrea, and that isn't because we're unlucky.

Last edited:
God people are massively overreacting to this! Marshall has been in terrible form both preseason games and both games of the season. He needs to be dropped and get some touch in the SANFL, simple as that.

We have enough talls in our team now to restructure without it affecting our overall structure and game plan.

Furthermore to that, just cause Marshall was tall, he was not actually playing as a tall. He was offering next to nothing in a marking contest. He is a tremendous young talent, but right now it is not working for him. He needs to find that touch before coming back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are 'grossly over reacting' to our 6th year of Groundhog day, where we start the season with a certain amount of tall forwards and then within a few rounds we've lost one and changed the structure for no good reason. This isn't a one off. I have no idea how anyone can have any faith in Hinkley's ability to get the selection of Marshall right over the next couple of seasons.

Can't wait until we have the usual suspects saying that Marshall "had to be" traded or delisted because he wasn't good enough or didn't fit in with the team or the gameplan or whatever. We haven't developed a genuine KPF since Tredrea, and that isn't because we're unlucky.

He’s form has been very very poor, this is far from me defending Hinkleys selection policy simply stating Marshall has been a far way off where he should be, and apart from a couple of link ups against Melb, has done next to nothing.

Needs to go back to the twos and find form and learn how to use his height to his advantage. Hinkleys comments about Marshall playing as a general foward are nothing about being anti tall, it reinforces how much of a weapon Marshall should be with his very rare combination of height and mobility/pace.

Isn't Sam's forte the running into position and linking up ?.....Maybe this 6-6-6 may actually suit him...

He’s form has been very very poor, this is far from me defending Hinkleys selection policy simply stating Marshall has been a far way off where he should be, and apart from a couple of link ups against Melb, has done next to nothing.

Needs to go back to the twos and find form and learn how to use his height to his advantage. Hinkleys comments about Marshall playing as a general foward are nothing about being anti tall, it reinforces how much of a weapon Marshall should be with his very rare combination of height and mobility/pace.

"Very very poor" is a huge stretch given his role in the side and his level of experience. He's been a cog in the first apparently functional forward line we've had in years. I think it's a huge stretch to say that his form was so poor that it was worth throwing out that structure to drop him, and make no mistake, that's exactly what we're doing.

Jake Neade got 5 consecutive games where he wasn't contributing last season while not playing such an important role. It's bizarre that developing tall forwards in this team never get that sort of leeway to find form.

Marshall didn't exactly play well in any of the pre season games either, i'm really scratching my head as to why this has come as such a shock. Is it because the replacement is Sam Gray? Not because Marshall was dropp[ed.

You have hit the pig right on the snout Willsy.

I am not a member of Ken's fan club but we cannot have it both ways as we cannot bag him because he carries under performing players then bag him when he drops a couple of them.

"Very very poor" is a huge stretch given his role in the side and his level of experience. He's been a cog in the first apparently functional forward line we've had in years. I think it's a huge stretch to say that his form was so poor that it was worth throwing out that structure to drop him, and make no mistake, that's exactly what we're doing.

Jake Neade got 5 consecutive games where he wasn't contributing last season while not playing such an important role. It's bizarre that developing tall forwards in this team never get that sort of leeway to find form.

I am not a member of Ken's fan club but we cannot have it both ways as we cannot bag him because he carries under performing players then bag him when he drops a couple of them.

It's not about the fact that he does drop players, it's the sorts of players he drops and the effect on our structure when he drops them.

Todd Marshall is a 20yo, 12 game enormously talented KPF. He was dropped after 1 middling game and 1 poor game, and in being dropped, we replaced him with a small player with a totally different skillset which will change the entire structure of our forward line, a forward line that is looking the best it has in half a decade.

Meanwhile Jake Neade did nothing for 5 games in a row last year before he got dropped.

Maybe i'm cynical but it's incredibly frustrating that the coaches are willing to throw structure and KPF development out the window after 2 games but they'll back a fringe half forward in as long as they possibly can.

Yes, Marshall could do with working on his game. The problem is, the selectors then need to show some urgency in getting him back in sooner rather than later. That means giving him SANFL game time and understanding that it is difficult in that competition to bang the door down as a key forward. And it means looking at repairing our forward structure by returning him within a month unless he looks totally at sea at SANFL level.

We can't be waiting for Dixon to come back (post-bye at best it seems now) to have a target up forward. But I have absolutely no faith that we won't twiddle our thumbs for half the season robbing Peter to pay Paul with Westhoff marooned up forward surrounded by ploddy midfielders who have been shoehorned into a forward role. At the very least they need to bring in Mayes or Farrell for a bit of goddamned forward craft.

Isn't Sam's forte the running into position and linking up ?.....Maybe this 6-6-6 may actually suit him...

I actually think it will, as in he'll slot nicely into Amon's role. He'll lose a bit of disposal quality but he'll be better in terms of getting to space and better at threatening the goals.

My problem with the selection isn't Sam Gray, it's that we've dropped a wing/HF and a tall forward for a wing/HF and an inside midfielder.

It’s not really, he’s done stuff all for 4 weeks, gifting Neade so many games was a disgrace and I’m glad we aren’t doing it.

Vital cog is a stretch, he isn’t using his heigt to his advantage and isn’t a contested possession player,m.

Sad to say it, but realistically Sam Gray is capable of doing everything Marshall has the last two games.

Hopefully Marshall comes out and kicks a bag in the SANFL takes a heap of marks I50 and looks like the player we think he can be and comes back into the AFL side for the Richmond game full of confidence.

Perhaps he may find form a lot faster in the SANFL then come back into the AFL side with more confidence and start to shine ?

The primary concern as a side is winning games and making finals and

Remove this Banner Ad

Back