Prediction Changes vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Houston dominated Sloane, he could definitely do the job on Neale

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Did a great job on Kelly as well vs Geelong. Probably should have missed the Footscray game with his side strain.

We are in a difficult situation regarding our surplus of inside midfielders. Against the Crows we predominantly played Ollie, SPP, Rocky and Robbie in the guts. We've seen Houston and Ebert rotate through there as well but they are also flexible enough to play a high standard of footy in other positions i.e. half-back and forward respectively. Robbie can play forward but his best footy this year has been when he's played as a midfielder.

If you bring in Boak, who plays undoubtedly his best footy in the guts, you either take out one of Ollie, SPP or Rocky or somehow shift them around and drop someone else. If you drop Butters, you can shove Robbie up forward but you will lose the forward pressure and pace Zak brings. Same goes for Sam Gray, but less about forward pressure and more about that high/half-forward link play. You can't knock Sam for his ability to lead and get into space. If you drop Motlop, you lose pace and link play through the middle - none of our inside midfielders can provide the role that Motlop can. In fact, barely anyone on our list can.

The choice comes down to whether we will gain more from retaining our structure in having a balanced number of inside midfielders or more from forcing all our quality players into the same team, sacrificing their preferred positions. I think I'm personally in favour of retaining structure, but it stretches to an underlying list management issue that we will have to deal with in the off-season. Too many inside mids, too little outside.

All of our players are expected to be able to play dual positions.
I agree they should be expected to play dual positions, but the reality is that Ollie, SPP, Rocky and Boak play so much better as inside midfielders that it's barely even worth playing them out of that position at all. Boak can play half-forward, but what he offers in the middle is better than what all of our other players bar maybe Rocky offer in the middle. Same principle with Rocky, who was tried up forward at times last year but undeniably plays his best footy in the middle.

It's up to Ollie and SPP to either to play better as midfielders than Boak and Rocky to force them out of that position or they need to develop their second positions to a higher standard.

SPP played out of his skin yesterday. I feel at times he tends to overthink the game, but when he plays like he did last night he looks like a star. I don't trust him enough to back it up against the Lions. So after a long hard think, it has to be Trav for Peps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SPP played out of his skin yesterday. I feel at times he tends to overthink the game, but when he plays like he did last night he looks like a star. I don't trust him enough to back it up against the Lions. So after a long hard think, it has to be Trav for Peps.
Let's not forget that it was SPP's grunt work in the centre square that got us back into that game at the Gabba.

I'm a fan of Sam Gray, he is one that always gives 100%.

He is starting to get dangerously low in this stat though.
In terms of a single stat that gives an indication of a players worth, I can't think of a better one.
So, based on that, there are six other players who played yesterday who will be dropped first.

Rocky in for S Gray or Butters

Lives for getting ball and in Brisbane days was fine goal kicker

Probably Butters , if Kens going to be consistent , trusted

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Charlie Dixon better keep on his toes Billy F is not far away behind him

I wasn’t in love with Dicko’s game. He misjudged a lot however those up the ground couldnhave kicked it more strategically too him, making him lead to it

Continues to run under the ball time and time again. Unfortunate I can't see that changing in a hurry

I know I’ll get slain for this, but I think Frampton is a better natural leader and mark of the footy

I know I’ll get slain for this, but I think Frampton is a better natural leader and mark of the footy
His forward craft is better that's for sure. The problem with Dixon is he's better played up the field, similar to where he played his best footy at the Suns. He should never have been given the responsibility of being a number one key forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back