Prediction Changes vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair changes, obviously lots of things to discuss. There's been some real momentum at the club regarding getting Sutcliffe onto the ground so now I hope we'll get to see why.
Yes I wonder if forward planning towards the Lions game and tagging Neale was behind drafting Sutcliffe. I hope the fella doesn’t disappoint. Will be nice to have a capable tagger to bring in for certain games when required.

Surprised so many people are shocked & angry about Duursma ... He is absolutely being managed this week peoples! The young fella has run himself stupid for the last 16 weeks, and I am frankly surprised it has taken this long to give him an extra break. Even if he ends up having a run in the Maggies, it will be managed.

As for Sutcliffe ... how many of you laughed your heads off when GWS picked up the Freo discard Matt (The Farmer) De Boer! I know I did! I reckon that we will see Sutcliffe in a very different light than when he plays in the Maggies. Sure it might end up being a failure, but IMO it would be a bigger failure if we did nothing different, which has been the MO of Hinkley the last few years.

This adds a new dimension to the game, & I am very interested to see how it turns out.

100% this, more people will come and say post match and say "why didn't we tag Neale, he killed us in Brisbane" if Neale was let to run around and get 40 touches and be the difference in winning and losing. At least we're being pro active in trying to getting a fix.

I am disappointed SPP was dropped. He was outstanding last week. Still he can work his magic against the baby crows in Pirie I guess.
As for Sutcliffe ! I am willing to wait and see before demonising the coaches or the player.

Tredders said SPP is likely to be held back as the emergency.

Possibly Ladhams too as Lycett will have a fitness test tomorrow.

SPP will be a good player. Just has some work to do. I'm disappointed about Duursma but understand the reasoning. This is an important experiment. I think we need a good tagger. If he can play that role we could be a much better team. As I said earlier. Bontempelli probably resurrected Sutcliffe's career

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually feel we are being coached. Being reactive and coming up with plan b in the middle of the game is not good coaching. Changing or game plan keeps or players on their toes and makes them capable of self adjusting when things aren't going right. I actually feel the coaching staff is what has improved. Perhaps the influence of Schofield is coming to the fore. The coaching staff seems a lot more dynamic lately.

Particularly with the return of a few key players like Hartlett and Dixon. The return to form of Robbie Gray. And the emergence of Amon. I want to win this week and next week. Time to make or push. Enough of this negativity.
I was surprised when Jonas was confident against the Cats before the game. If anyone remembers it was just before the bounce. There's a renewed confidence. We may be a Smokey to be a big improver the latter part of the season. I may be wrong but I've got a funny feeling.
Am I the only one?

I actually feel we are being coached. Being reactive and coming up with plan b in the middle of the game is not good coaching. Changing or game plan keeps or players on their toes and makes them capable of self adjusting when things aren't going right. I actually feel the coaching staff is what has improved. Perhaps the influence of Schofield is coming to the fore. The coaching staff seems a lot more dynamic lately.

Particularly with the return of a few key players like Hartlett and Dixon. The return to form of Robbie Gray. And the emergence of Amon. I want to win this week and next week. Time to make or push. Enough of this negativity.
I was surprised when Jonas was confident against the Cats before the game. If anyone remembers it was just before the bounce. There's a renewed confidence. We may be a Smokey to be a big improver the latter part of the season. I may be wrong but I've got a funny feeling.
Am I the only one?
That funny feeling might be gastro, you should watch out for it ;)

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We are the number one contested ball side in the comp but now we’re shitting our pants because 0xAA Lachie Neale has had a couple of decent games this year? Why make such a drastic change from last week. Duursma is the fittest bloke in the bloody comp, he doesn’t need a rest.

And whilst I’m at it, we lost last time because we had an inadequate forward structure that allowed Josh Walker to take us to the cleaners, not because Lachie Neale had 28 handballs.

Good morning, folks! Melting Day!

Good melts overall. Congratulations! I am all for observing traditions.

Having said that, I am not melting. I don't like SPP being dropped, but our changes are the kind of change I have been demanding from the club: focus on the opposition; and player rotation. Not all drops are born equal.

We were complaining that the side was unbalanced when we played in Brisbane. We tried to keep switching Neale's opponent, and the plan backfired. Now, we are going with a simpler plan.

There is nothing against SPP or Duursma in these changes. The match against West Lakes has past. We need to beat Fitzroy, which is a different beast. So, we made a couple of changes to adjust.

I am more worried with losing two players for the Maggies' clash against the Lil'Crows, to be honest. Alas!, there isn't much we could do about it...

Last edited:
For real though, the move of playing an SANFL player to tag a star player has never worked out under Ken.
Bringing in Kane Mitchell to tag Cotchin says otherwise.

The best mids know how to handle taggers. Plus teams have tactics to deal with them.
I guess thats why Lachie Neale kept dominating the after Carlton had Ed Curnow just sit on him? Right?

And Tom Rockliff continued racking up massive numbers of possessions when Brisbane decided to tag him out of the game.

Most players can handle a tag nowadays because not many teams have good taggers. They stick one of their ball getters on the opponent and go head to head. This is what the Crows often try with Sloane. Players can handle Sloane's run with, because Sloane is still focussed on getting the ball first.

Darn those Sunday AFL games. Thankfully we haven’t had too many this year.
This board overrates SPP. He's a very unreliable player who makes a lot of mistakes. We bemoan inconsistency but SPP is the poster boy for it.
Whole midfield has been inconsistent. Why not stack as insurance? SPP great value in terms of midfield rotations. Has been days when Wines, Rockliff & others have had stinkers & he's been a spark. Offers something different - reasonable pace, long-kicking, fierce tackling, fend offs in traffic. I'd have "rested" Butters. Did some nice things last week when game was over but seems to be increasingly struggling to influence games.

I'm ok with x taking a week. If anything it shows we are serious about finals and trying to get him peaking at the right time.

Pep/Sutcliffe? Strange one... Last three weeks have me bizarrely putting a little faith, but this definitely feels pretty awful on fave value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back