Preview Changes vs Brisbane

Is it curtains for Curtin?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Comparing Jones to Cook in hardness is just silly.

Go watch last night again. That tackle stat doesnt paint an accurate picture. Jones put his head over the ball affecting play more in any one quarter than Cook did doing anything to affect play in an entire game.

Jones has plenty of flaws but you cant knock him for being soft.
Not saying he’s soft, just that he’s overrated at it.
Ie soligo goes in hard and gets the ball out.
Jones just barrels into contests or overcommits the contest.
Like it’s pointless what he does.
Also I never compared his hardness to cook, only the tackling stats.
He gets made out to be this tackling machine when he averages less than 2 per game over his career.

Schoenberg should come in before Dowling, he is looking back to his best and super fit
Pleasant surprise that Schoenberg has come back strongly

I thought he'd be very scratchy initially and playing in a guernsey that "must have shrunk in the wash"

I don't get where this obsession these boards have with Taylor comes from? I've watched a reasonable amount of SANFL and he rarely gets near it or has all that much impact.

I just don't see it.

I don't think it would be humanly possible for anyone to be less effective than McSpudley.

His supporters lauded his game which consisted of a uncontested chest mark in the goal square (I suppose he didn't drop it this time) that led to a simple goal that every person on this board could have kicked.

And a block for Tex, once again any person on this board could have stood in the way of the Port Player.

So those two 'good' actions plus about a dozen fumbles and missing easy targets by foot.

I don't believe Taylor couldn't do any better than McSpudleys 'good' game above.

Ins: Taylor, Schoenberg
Outs: McHenry, Smith

B: Michaelanny, Butts, Keane
HB: Laird, Worrell, Hinge
C: Sholl, Soligo, Jones
HF: Rachele, Walker, Keays
F: Cook, Himmelberg, Fogarty
R: O’Brien, Dawson, Rankine
I: Curtin, Crouch, Nankervis, Taylor
Sub: Schoenberg

Ins: Taylor, Schoenberg
Outs: McHenry, Smith

B: Michaelanny, Butts, Keane
HB: Laird, Worrell, Hinge
C: Sholl, Soligo, Jones
HF: Rachele, Walker, Keays
F: Cook, Himmelberg, Fogarty
R: O’Brien, Dawson, Rankine
I: Curtin, Crouch, Nankervis, Taylor
Taylor is such a logical choice to replace mchenry. It's too bad nicks' footy iq is dogwater.

Pleasant surprise that Schoenberg has come back strongly

I thought he'd be very scratchy initially and playing in a guernsey that "must have shrunk in the wash"
Never heard Burgess talk about Schoenberg so glowingly in regards to fitness, so might have even surprised the club a bit too! Maybe he had that realisation he could be quickly on the AFL scrap heap if he didn't take his rehab and fitness seriously

I don't think it would be humanly possible for anyone to be less effective than McSpudley.

His supporters lauded his game which consisted of a uncontested chest mark in the goal square (I suppose he didn't drop it this time) that led to a simple goal that every person on this board could have kicked.

And a block for Tex, once again any person on this board could have stood in the way of the Port Player.

So those two 'good' actions plus about a dozen fumbles and missing easy targets by foot.

I don't believe Taylor couldn't do any better than McSpudleys 'good' game above.
The interception which led to the goal was much more influential than the block. And obviously McHenry did more than just those two things.

Still one of the less effective players in the Crows team though, fumbled a lot and didn't get a ton of the ball. Fairly low bar for a 'good' game.

Out
Berg Sholl McHenry sub Smith

In
Gollant Dowling Berry sub Schoenberg

Gollant kicked 5 goals in the sanfl. Must come in. Sholl and McHenry are complete trash. Smith is cooked. Get him out.

Max Butts Worrell
Hinge Keane Nank
Jones Soligo Dowling
Rachele Walker Cook
Rankine Fogarty Gollant

ROB Dawson Crouch

Berry Keays Laird Curtin

Sholl has well and truly held and deserved his spot the last couple of weeks. I get you may feel the drop off is inevitable again but to say he was rubbish last night is a rubbish comment

And Himmelberg is helping our structure. They won’t change that

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not sure what to do about our wingmen

Sholl had a decent game I thought

Jones never lets you down in a contest but can't find the ball much

McHenry pushed up to the wing a bit and was dreadful after a promising Q1

Cook they're using mostly forward and can't find it there. Thought he looked good Q1 against Melbourne on the wing but we abandoned it instantly.

Nankervis did the job at half back but I'd like him to play wing and Curtin stays in at half back

Also want Jones back pocket on the Rioli small forwards. Don't think we have a suitable match up for them at the moment, acknowledging that Max can play on all types to a degree
I’m thinking similarly with Jones. It’s almost backline or bust with him now.

Nank has to play wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never heard Burgess talk about Schoenberg so glowingly in regards to fitness, so might have even surprised the club a bit too! Maybe he had that realisation he could be quickly on the AFL scrap heap if he didn't take his rehab and fitness seriously

players have said being in rehab is harder on fitness than training. So no surprise he is as fit as he has ever been.

Himmelberg has the hardness of Sholl in a 200cm frame with the skills of McHenry and gets towelled up in the ruck
+
I’m by no means a Berg defender but he’s much better structurally for the team than Gollant is.
I watched the game again last night.
The comparison of EH to Sholl is valid. Like Sholl, when he has time and space, EH is useful eg when he chest-marked a very good kickout in space, kicked to Rankine then the Ned goal. I find it hard to praise him for doing what he should have.
However, under pressure EH fumbles (no composure or evasion skills) and I noticed when rucking vs Dixon he was easily bodied out of position. Dixon mauled him, pushed him off the ball and EH becomes totally ineffective because he falls over so often.
EH needs to do some one-on-one wrestling/jostling and be trained to keep his feet. I don't think he's playing any better now than since he was dropped --- cement hands, no physicality, a bit of a passenger when the team is doing well but low impact under pressure. A 200cm Sholl is right.

"Better structurally" --- what's the use of that (structure) without impact? I'm not being facetious or having a go at you; it's a serious question.
Himmelberg's stats for 4 quarters are comparable to Curtin's for 3 quarters.

Last edited:
Schoenberg should come in before Dowling, he is looking back to his best and super fit

Schoenberg is also a fair shout at half forward, seeing half forward is probably a good role to rebuild his AFL career at this point.

That said, I do like the all round game of Dowling here a bit more - especially the extra height with our inconsistent ball movement.

Whether McHenry is dropped or not is the least of my concerns. Two things I want to see most next week: retain Curtin, retain Cook.
Curtin 100%. Cook will come good but how long do we carry him until it happens. He has something but is missing something as well.

The interception which led to the goal was much more influential than the block. And obviously McHenry did more than just those two things.

Still one of the less effective players in the Crows team though, fumbled a lot and didn't get a ton of the ball. Fairly low bar for a 'good' game.
Unfortunately that is just about his ceiling for a good game, against a quality side anyway. That's why he needs to go.

Curtin 100%. Cook will come good but how long do we carry him until it happens. He has something but is missing something as well.
Longer than we’ve carried those two absolute hacks mchenry and murphy..

Cook will come good..

Cook deserves another game as we need to give him a decent block of games & not drop him after 1 quiet one.

Nah, Cook is a genuine no hoper at this level.

Sure, he has neat skills, but he lacks the ball winning ability and positional sense needed to find success. If that hasn't come in four years, it never will.

Nah, Cook is a genuine no hoper at this level.

Sure, he has neat skills, but he lacks the ball winning ability and positional sense needed to find success. If that hasn't come in four years, it never will.
Sort of my point. I see the skills, but I am not seeing improvement. Not sure no-hoper is fair.

Berg is a dud, but he isn't as big a dud as Gollant. I would though prefer Burgess
All three have something to offer imho but also some weaknesses

Not an obvious standout though I'd be interested to see Burgess when the whole team isn't playing utter shyte like we were early in the season

Back