Prediction Changes vs Bulldogs ~ Round 4 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure your point exactly

2 different players.

Greenwood is a tagger where Thomas is a small/medium forward
Greenwood played up forward last game though...

It’s going to be pretty obvious that Varcoe comes in for Greenwood.
There’s no role for Greenwood it seems if he doesn’t tag because it throws out team balance.

He played a lot of forward last week which was ridiculous coaching to begin with and if we dropped Varcoe the week before for an 7 touch game, then Greenwood isn’t really stiff to be dropped- it’s obvious.

It’s going to be pretty obvious that Varcoe comes in for Greenwood.
There’s no role for Greenwood it seems if he doesn’t tag because it throws out team balance.

He played a lot of forward last week which was ridiculous coaching to begin with and if we dropped Varcoe the week before for an 7 touch game, then Greenwood isn’t really stiff to be dropped- it’s obvious.
Maybe we should go back to using Greenwood as a tagger.

Bucks has used Greenwood well only once in the first 3 games. Obviously Bucks didn't use him in 1st game, when he should have.

Josh Thomas has had 3 poor games in a row. What's his role at the moment? He's not kicking goals, he's not helping out in the midfield. He was practically unsighted until the last qtr on the weekend. He was just about worst on ground in the GF (Maybe Venables or Mihocek were worse). He bobs up and kicks a couple of goals in some of our dominant wins, but where is he when the going gets tough. Not as useless as Aish, but still offers very little, at-least at the current time.

Whilst I agree that Josh Thomas form is not great, I can not let the rest of this go unchallenged...

Yup not so great in the Prelim Final, or the Grand Final, in the latter game he had two sharp snaps that missed by inches, such is the fine line when you play small forward between a successful and unsuccessful day at the office. But if we examine his performance in the other finals or against the other top 4 teams, is there any truth to your assertion that he is front runner?

2 goals in the semi final
21 disposals in the qualifying final
4 goals against Richmond in round 19
3 goals against the Eagles in round 17
3 goals against the Demons on QB

So this "where is he when the going gets tough?" business really is unsubstantiated nonsense, isn't it?

Now in 2019, his form hasn't been great and he needs to lift. But he plays an important role ingiving a bit of zip to a team that's looking decidedly sluggish with the inclusion of Beams and Roughie. He is also our best goal-kicking crumber. Now if his form doesn't lift he deserves to be dropped, but it poses challenges for us, because there are not many similar types on our list

Whilst I agree that Josh Thomas form is not great, I can not let the rest of this go unchallenged...

Yup not so great in the Prelim Final, or the Grand Final, in the latter game he had two sharp snaps that missed by inches, such is the fine line when you play small forward between a successful and unsuccessful day at the office. But if we examine his performance in the other finals or against the other top 4 teams, is there any truth to your assertion that he is front runner?

So this "where is he when the going gets tough?" business really is unsubstantiated nonsense, isn't it?

Now in 2019, his form hasn't been great and he needs to lift. But he plays an important role ingiving a bit of zip to a team that's looking decidedly sluggish with the inclusion of Beams and Roughie. He is also our best goal-kicking crumber. Now if his form doesn't lift he deserves to be dropped, but it poses challenges for us, because there are not many similar types on our list
I have no idea what to make of this.

Surely, last year does not matter.

In terms of similar types on our list, we have so many small forwards that it is not funny.

Whether Josh adds more forward pressure is the big thing.

Agree so much on this ,

He’s forms not great but is important I think he needs to set himself to add that small forward pressure ala those little Richmond turds because it’s lacking in our forward half if he can up that area will have a big impact for the forward line as a whole

Leave Thomas alone!

He's so underrated on here. It's bizarre.

I agree. To an extent. He’s definitely had a flat start to the year and it’s not only his scoreboard impact that’s down. He’s more fumbly, not sticking his tackles, is lacking penetration in his game and is turning it over a bit. That said I wouldn’t speculate on dropping him though because it’s the midfield letting the team down currently, IMO.

What are people’s thoughts on the Bulldogs having a 5 day break? In general I don’t think it’s a factor and there isn’t much data available at the moment, but I think the 6 day break into the 5 day break will be a big challenge.
I think it will be counteracted by the fact it’s the Bulldogs’ only Friday night game all year. They’ll be up for it.

I think Josh Thomas (and to some extent Trav Varcoe) are victims of the way we are playing this year.

It is a lot more about short kicks and retention of the ball. Players like Varcoe and Josh Thomas thrive on having the ball in motion, and a lot of spillages inside 50.

So there hasn't been enough crumbing opportunities for our small forwards, and we have been a bit De Goey and Cox focused.

I'd like to see us play with a bit more intensity and make the game a bit more frenzied. This is when our smalls like JT and Varcoe come into their own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be a real lack of excitement around selection tonight.

It could be Crocker time.
So are you saying that's why there's a lack of excitement?
Or are you saying we need to select him to create some excitement?
1554959907408.png

So are you saying that's why there's a lack of excitement?
Or are you saying we need to select him to create some excitement?
View attachment 652279

I'm saying we need to be excited one way or the other.

The Crocker fan club needs to pipe up with their positive excitement, whilst the Crocker deniers need to excitedly ridicule him.

Just pick him! Or Not!

If we lose this.. I f swear man.. I'm never going Groove Bar over 40s night ever again to boost my ego..

I have f had it man.. that's it for me..

Surely your ego can't be boosted any further Gimpy? ;)

I'm saying we need to be excited one way or the other.

The Crocker fan club needs to pipe up with their positive excitement, whilst the Crocker deniers need to excitedly ridicule him.

Just pick him! Or Not!
1554962044490.png

It's selection night. Second only to the game itself in terms of rants and hope. Get around the Crock or Browny or Varcs. Or slag them, Aish, Greenwood,etc.. off.

Give Roughead a taste of the real faithful at the VFL, I say. We don't need him. Moore, Howe and Langdon can easily cover their talls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back