Strategy Changes vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Nelson was serviceable, him and Cole are on par atm. Rotham unlucky to be out of the side. Jetta an obvious in.

Changes will be hard this week.

As Mallen was emergency I feel he has the right to replace anyone who wasn’t AFL quality and waterman was quite average.

So... Out: waterman, Nelson, Vardy

In: MAllen, Jetta, hickey (if fit)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jarrod Cameron 4.1 in WAFL. An emergency this week. That should be enough to get a game.

Sticking with this now.

INS
NN, Jetta, Cameron
Allen, Nelson, Waterman

Josh Smith also had a big game. Only Hutch now can be questioned from the midfield group. Hutch is important in that shutdown role.
Jarrod Cameron offers speed but the polish that Petch lacks. Is gonna be 1 exciting fwd line if we manage to get (Ryan, Rioli, Petch, Cripps & Cameron) all roving too JK, JD & NN when fwd.

Nelson was serviceable, him and Cole are on par atm. Rotham unlucky to be out of the side. Jetta an obvious in.

Changes will be hard this week.

As Mallen was emergency I feel he has the right to replace anyone who wasn’t AFL quality and waterman was quite average.

So... Out: waterman, Nelson, Vardy

In: MAllen, Jetta, hickey (if fit)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Think Vardy earned the right to be the sole ruck next week.
We don't need 2 rucks against the Doggies who only have English, who is a couple of years off being a AFL standard ruckman.
Nelson out for Jetta the only change. Nelson is unlucky as I believe that he played a role well tonight.
Hutchings will probably hold on to his spot but must be very close to a rest.

Would be interesting to try Masto in the tagging position. He has the tank for it and probably offers more than hutch with the ball in hand.
I think that Venables might succeed in a tagging role in the interim. He is tough , fast and having someone lead him to the ball wouldn't be such a bad idea.
Unlike Hutchings, he can play in a number of roles.

Petch role would be apply pressure and don't clog up fwd like Allen did earlier in the season and ready for slingshot. Think we need him since our brand seems to be slingshot from hbf which unclogs our FWD and lets Darling and JK 1v1 or the small quick ones on it.

Don't need 2 rucks against the dogs. Vardy stays over Hickey. Was his best game for the year. Hickey to build fitness in WAFL. Plus Vardy gets to monster English.

-Nelson
+Jetta

Nelson didn't embarrass himself but Jetta is a walk up.

Only other change I see is

-Waterman
+Cameron/Venables

I don't mind Waterman staying in the team but his role is so undefined. My preference is Cameron for some x-factor (had 4 goals 7 tackles in the WAFL). Plus this would allow Rioli to push up more. Gut feel is the MC picks Venables.

Cameron is developing well. I watched the replay of the Beagles game today, the 1st half anyway, and I don't think he's ready yet. Needs another season in the gym, and another preseason, for mine.

Petch ain't going nowhere for now.

Agreed - and from Simmo’s comments - not sure Venables is close to being back yet

I do think the inclusion of waterman makes us too top heavy - especially against a run and gun side like bulldogs

Going to assume that hickey and venables won’t be available for selection so at this stage it’ll just be Jetta in for Nelson

Have a sneaking suspicion that Naitanui might be a surprise selection. He’s been runnng for weeks and I think he’s been doing a lot more match sim training than the club is letting on. I’m well aware that the club has been steadfast on their not until after the bye stance but my view is that’s been a smokescreen to dampen expectations and to hose down speculation on a return.

Wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if he comes in at the expense of either Waterman or Allen

Brooksby another big game in the WAFL. 50 HitOuts as well as 7 tackles (= most). What more can he do?
Cameron, 4 goals but still looks underbodied. Doesn't mean he couldn't be the evasive beast though.
Funny how just a couple of years ago we had Le Cras who, if honest, was a brilliant mid sized forward rather than a true small and as a small had Cripps (defensive tackler), Hill (4 goals or not a possession) and not much else.
Now we have Ryan, Rioli and Petrucelle as well as Cripps. If Cameron demands selection then it may be Petch to the wing, never see Masten again (hungrytiger very happy) and Cameron as the rotational small forward.

Cameron is developing well. I watched the replay of the Beagles game today, the 1st half anyway, and I don't think he's ready yet. Needs another season in the gym, and another preseason, for mine.
Agree, was at the game and he's just so small and skinny compared to even the WAFL players. Worried he'll get destroyed at AFL level if we bring him in this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to assume that hickey and venables won’t be available for selection so at this stage it’ll just be Jetta in for Nelson

Have a sneaking suspicion that Naitanui might be a surprise selection. He’s been runnng for weeks and I think he’s been doing a lot more match sim training than the club is letting on. I’m well aware that the club has been steadfast on their not until after the bye stance but my view is that’s been a smokescreen to dampen expectations and to hose down speculation on a return.

Wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if he comes in at the expense of either Waterman or Allen
Have you heard some whispers?

Jetta in for Nelson
NicNat I want in for Vardy. Waterman played a great game.

Really think Nic will pull up sore after a year out of the game so playing him against a team with no ruck for 80 minutes lets him have a week off in the bye rather than having to play sore for the next 13 games

In Jetta
Out Nelson

Nelson didn’t do much wrong but simply using last in first out he is the one to go. He is a good back up to have though.

I think the big question is do we tag?

Bont is probably the best player in footy right now, instinct says you have to put time into him, but look at how much better our mids were when we just went head to head after half time. It swung the game completely.

To tag or not to tag?

Yeo head to head. Physically stronger than the Bont and needs to impose himself on him.

Hutch for Macrae and see if anyone else bobs up. Keep him in poor form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petch is clearly still learning his craft at AFL level. My preference is for him to stay in the side, especially if it's only Venables or Ah Chee who would replace him.

It would be great if he would stick tackles, but he's far from alone with that issue.

Waterman seems to struggle out there, every run and chase just looks difficult for him and looks out of his depth.
Very one dimensional.
Just finished watching the replay, had virtually no impact on the match. His highlight was a 5 minute purple patch at the end of the 3rd quarter where he took 3 uncontested marks across the half back flank, held up play and then kicked long down the line to a contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back