Strategy Changes vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought Waterman was pretty okay playing the lead up forward Lecras role .
He took 4 marks for the game, 3 of which were in the 3rd quarter inside the defensive 50. Would have thought a lead up forward would want to take a few more marks around the forward line or at least the wing than that.
Not that I think Waterman is a bad player, he's just not as good as the other young tall forwards we've got so I really don't see a role for him. Would rather have Venables in, at least he provides some pressure.

I'd like to see Cameron get a go in place of Waterman. It would give us an opportunity to assess an out-of-form Petch and Cameron before Venables comes back.

I don't mind Waterman, but he isn't leading and marking up the wing like he should be. He's good at that, but he's very average in every other respect.

OUT: Nelson, Waterman
IN: Jetta, Cameron

He took 4 marks for the game, 3 of which were in the 3rd quarter inside the defensive 50. Would have thought a lead up forward would want to take a few more marks around the forward line or at least the wing than that.
Not that I think Waterman is a bad player, he's just not as good as the other young tall forwards we've got so I really don't see a role for him. Would rather have Venables in, at least he provides some pressure.

If we didn’t have a hole in the ruck Waterman ought to be playing ahead of Allen. Both from a needs and production perspective.

Connection from back to forward, relief mark from hard running is what is really needed. Allen’s uncontested game this year at AFL has gone missing that’s why I would let him mature in the WAFL while Kennedy and Darling are both fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we didn’t have a hole in the ruck Waterman ought to be playing ahead of Allen. Both from a needs and production perspective.

Connection from back to forward, relief mark from hard running is what is really needed. Allen’s uncontested game this year at AFL has gone missing that’s why I would let him mature in the WAFL while Kennedy and Darling are both fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does Waterman get that go ahead goal at the end of the game yesterday though? I don't think so, Allen is too good to leave in the WAFL and Waterman is too average to be playing ahead of him. Hard to tell what affect Allen playing ruck has had on his uncontested game as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Waterman get that go ahead goal at the end of the game yesterday though? I don't think so, Allen is too good to leave in the WAFL and Waterman is too average to be playing ahead of him. Hard to tell what affect Allen playing ruck has had on his uncontested game as well.

A useless hypothetical. A player does one thing in one play and doesn't do another thing in a different play. What Allen hasn't been doing is leading and taking marks. If your tall players don't take marks they remain a liability against the alternative.

Waterman is a better footballer than he was last year, in spite of some niggling injuries he's improved his tank and his WAFL performances have proven he's a level above. Unfortunately, those niggles and being screwed around with selection means he's lacked a little bit of flow and consistency. In spite of this his production is similar to Allens if a little down on last year.

Talk of Allen as the better player is neither here nor there at the moment he's surplus to our needs. He's got lucky when Schofield got injured before round 9 and he got lucky again when Hickey went down a second time.

whacky opinion but should we move Duggan into a wing/defensive mid role (replacing hutch) and bring Rotham in?

Think Duggan has the tank and defensive nous to play as a tagger and the role Masten did.

I really like Duggar’s toughness and ability to hit packs hard and either win a 50/50 or absolutely kill the contest.

EF38F713-9DC2-4F72-8C51-12FB5E2496F4.gif

I think we would lose this if he was tagging or on the wing as a link up type player.

Having said that could Duggan turn into the next Yeo, he has taken his game up a level and hopefully learnt a lot as a back man with the play in front of him, it would be good to try him in the middle again and see what he has learnt.

A useless hypothetical. A player does one thing in one play and doesn't do another thing in a different play. What Allen hasn't been doing is leading and taking marks. If your tall players don't take marks they remain a liability against the alternative.

Waterman is a better footballer than he was last year, in spite of some niggling injuries he's improved his tank and his WAFL performances have proven he's a level above. Unfortunately, those niggles and being screwed around with selection means he's lacked a little bit of flow and consistency. In spite of this his production is similar to Allens if a little down on last year.

Talk of Allen as the better player is neither here nor there at the moment he's surplus to our needs. He's got lucky when Schofield got injured before round 9 and he got lucky again when Hickey went down a second time.
How do you know what role Allen is being asked to play though? He's hasn't been playing much as a lead-up forward high up the ground most of the time so of course he's not going to be taking uncontested marks around the ground. Waterman has done nothing in the AFL this year to stake his claim in the side, he was virtually unsighted most of yesterdays game apart from a few inconsequential marks and bombs down the line late in the third.

Wow best changes thread ever. I cant believe it....Some of the best.

No More Masten ever....Waterman is not better than anyone out there, hes got 1 role he can only really play. 1 dimensial... Lets get Cameron in and push Petrol to the wing Yeeeoooww TWITB...

Nic Nat is back baby.. which doesnt bode well for Oscar but he knows his role going fwd.

Hurn Scho Shep
Duggo Gov Jetta
Petrol Yeo Gaff
Cameron JD Rioli
Ryan JK Cripps

Vardy/Hickey Shuey Sheed

NN Redden Hutch Cole

I like this side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back