Strategy Changes vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that Hutch is on the extended bench. Only been named there one other time this year. 90% I’m reading too much into it and he doesn’t really deserve the boot.. but.. if he doesn’t have a job on someone he’s a bit of a liability. Could we go Ah Chee for Hutch..? When Redden went 100% on ball we saw his best. Replacing Hutch with Ah Chee gives us someone a little more dynamic in that wing/hff role.

Need to keep developing that tagger role and turn it into a bit of a two way role.. if we don’t need the tag, that guy is just as lethal back the other way. I think we have enough firepower to nearly go head to head with other midfields and send someone like Reddo to tag if we’re desperate. That’s the sort of thing I’d imagined if we managed to grab Kelly. Yeo/Redden locking down guys for parts of games if required.
Right on, need more inside 50s. At the moment we bypass wings most of the time(not sure if it is a bad thing or not) and when direct FWH. Many kids need more time to develop as well evidence in the early games if our Mids are injured or out of form. We can be found wanting as our Mids depth are poor, see stats.

Interesting that Hutch is on the extended bench. Only been named there one other time this year. 90% I’m reading too much into it and he doesn’t really deserve the boot.. but.. if he doesn’t have a job on someone he’s a bit of a liability.

For all it's professionalism, footy still hasn't evolved to select "horses for courses". Fringe players might get swapped in and out, but established senior players have a guaranteed spot.
Hutch is a perfect example of a player that could be dropped when there is no suitable match up, because we all know as a midfielder he adds little to the team. But in AFL footy you only get dropped as a punishment. As long as Hutch does what the coach wants him to do ("provides an outlet" seems to be the go to at the WCE in 2019. #Mastenbeingdebated) and picks up his 15 touches along the way he'll get a game.

Cue Hutch get dropped and me being proven wrong.

The final team for the Western Bulldogs game might ultimately depend on who flies with the Doggies.
Looking at the Interchange list, it's feasible that they could go with an all attacking tall forward line including Schache, Billy Gowers, Tory Dickson, Ryan Gardner and Aaron Naughton. Add to that the possibility of Matthew Suckling, Sam Lloyd and the Bont and you have a substantial list of forwards.
Gowers won their goalkicking last season and we all know the elite kicking skills of Suckling, Dickson and Lloyd. So a bit to think about there.

The bulldogs also have a very strong list of midfielders, adding Rhylee West to the already listed speedster in Lipinski plus , Mclean, Hunter, Libba, Bailey Smith, Dunkley , Macrae and Bont when needed.

If they go defensive they may move Naughton back to reduce the influence of Kennedy and Darling. While Naughton has been use forward with some success I believe that he has the ability to become one of the all time great, key position defenders.
Witihout Naughton their defense is not overly tall with Easton Wood, Williams, Johannisen , Young and Smith only medium size defenders.
Their most inform defender in Caleb Daniel is more like a chihuahua than a bulldog but he is still rated Number 2 in the league for kicks out of the defensive 50 this season. He continually sends his 30 meter bullet like passes to Dunkley, Macrae and the Bont and sends them into attack.
Maybe Cripps role as a defensive forward will have more meaning this week.
I personally I don't rate Johannisen or Hunter for their ball movement as they tend to under run or over run the ball going forward and end in no mans land with very few score assists.
Possibly their best small to medium defenders are all out Crozier, Richards and 2 times premiership player Duryea.

The other big out is Wallace. It''s amazing the amount of time he has kicked their 1st goal this season.

How we structure up this week I believe will depend very much on who the Bulldogs travel with.

WCE ins this week could easily be Jetta, Josh Smith and AHChee, replacing Nelson, Waterman and Hutchings.
Sorry.....that's all Greek to me!

The Bullies are here to run us.They will try to short pass around us.Hutch will be the ideal matchup for Caleb Daniels.That little runt gets a lot of the ball and uses it well.I agree with a lot of posters that Hickey is a better ball gatherer than Vardy but he doesnt bring the physicality that Vardy brings.He is a couple of pick handles across the shoulders and when he charges through people tend to move aside.The other side of that coin is that NN will only play in bursts and Hickey as a second string can roam the ground gathering possessions as hes shown hes capable of. Im a strong advocate of muscle at the top.That was proved last year.
We are in need of another A grade mid;both from a backup point of view and an age point of view.Xavier O'neill moves well.Ryan can play mid and might i say we look a better team when hes around the ball.Cole can be replaced in defence by our plethora of halfbacks, and i think he would go very well in the guts;hes tough and composed.AhChee has great "highs" but great "lows".I think hes too long in the system to ever change.I think the suggestion to use Ainsworth as a tagger is a great idea.It brings you to the ball.Has he got the tank??
Getting back to my "we are the new Hawthorn" theme ; whenever somebody kicked a goal they contested the next bounce.a lot of our players could do a stint in the guts.

For all it's professionalism, footy still hasn't evolved to select "horses for courses". Fringe players might get swapped in and out, but established senior players have a guaranteed spot.
Hutch is a perfect example of a player that could be dropped when there is no suitable match up, because we all know as a midfielder he adds little to the team. But in AFL footy you only get dropped as a punishment. As long as Hutch does what the coach wants him to do ("provides an outlet" seems to be the go to at the WCE in 2019. #Mastenbeingdebated) and picks up his 15 touches along the way he'll get a game.

Cue Hutch get dropped and me being proven wrong.
I think that was a very elaborate way of saying Hutch is an average midfielder, but a good tagger. If there's no one to tag, he won't get a game.

The Bullies are here to run us.They will try to short pass around us.Hutch will be the ideal matchup for Caleb Daniels.That little runt gets a lot of the ball and uses it well.I agree with a lot of posters that Hickey is a better ball gatherer than Vardy but he doesnt bring the physicality that Vardy brings.He is a couple of pick handles across the shoulders and when he charges through people tend to move aside.The other side of that coin is that NN will only play in bursts and Hickey as a second string can roam the ground gathering possessions as hes shown hes capable of. Im a strong advocate of muscle at the top.That was proved last year.
We are in need of another A grade mid;both from a backup point of view and an age point of view.Xavier O'neill moves well.Ryan can play mid and might i say we look a better team when hes around the ball.Cole can be replaced in defence by our plethora of halfbacks, and i think he would go very well in the guts;hes tough and composed.AhChee has great "highs" but great "lows".I think hes too long in the system to ever change.I think the suggestion to use Ainsworth as a tagger is a great idea.It brings you to the ball.Has he got the tank??
Getting back to my "we are the new Hawthorn" theme ; whenever somebody kicked a goal they contested the next bounce.a lot of our players could do a stint in the guts.

Agree that Caleb Daniel is a threat. Often the first player who starts the run and carry chain.

Not sure that Daniel would be a target for Hutch now though given that he has played the majority of this year from half back. Like a tiny Shannon Hurn he takes a lot of their kick ins and starts a lot of their possessions. If we play Hutchy as a tagger I'd expect to see him on Hunter or Macrae

I think that was a very elaborate way of saying Hutch is an average midfielder, but a good tagger. If there's no one to tag, he won't get a game.

Yeah nah. If there's no one to tag, he'll still get a game but in a completely unsuitable role.

We've seen similar selections in defense, where Sheppard has played on a KPP like Buddy because instead of dropping a Cole or Jetta to bring in a tall, we've gone in with the same back 7 because they don't deserve the ignominy of being dropped.

We've seen similar selections in defense, where Sheppard has played on a KPP like Buddy because instead of dropping a Cole or Jetta to bring in a tall, we've gone in with the same back 7 because they don't deserve the ignominy of being dropped.

I think it’s probably more about building an understanding and teamwork between players than preserving their egos.

Cripps being named on a wing isn't such a bad thing, the guy certainly has the tank.

Didn't he cover almost 18kms against the demons the other week?

That's Gaff/Whitfield level running, elite.

c3006470daf59a2ed3525812d21e60a6.jpg

Cripps being named on a wing isn't such a bad thing, the guy certainly has the tank.

Didn't he cover almost 18kms against the demons the other week?

That's Gaff/Whitfield level running, elite.
Will play as a defensive forward on Caleb Daniel.
Daniel is rated as number 2 in the comp for kicks from the defensive 50 with a DE of 88%

Certainly interesting this situation.
Beagles v Claremomt as curtain raiser game at same ground...
This makes it easier to make late changes.
Still feel like a late change is possible.
The old General Soreness

I do hope for AhChee or Smith in for Waterman. But my comment above isnt just about him. Applys to Hutch as well if they wanted to give Ainsworth a run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will play as a defensive forward on Caleb Daniel.
Daniel is rated as number 2 in the comp for kicks from the defensive 50 with a DE of 88%

Yep im going for a late change....Smith for Waterman.

This was my thoughts too with Caleb Daniel.
Let Cripps play his natural game. Bring in Smith for Daniel.

Personally I prefer Hutch tagging the winger/outside types, meaning he doesn't take time away from our main mids at the centre bounce. Its why we always do so well against the Pies midfield because Sidebottom is rarely in the centre square.

The Dogs have a few options, Macrae and Hunter the main two. Though I do quite like the Daniel idea. He has tagged Johannisen a couple of times against the Dogs, Daniel playing that half back role these days could defintale be an option.

The old General Soreness

I do hope for AhChee or Smith in for Waterman. But my comment above isnt just about him. Applys to Hutch as well if they wanted to give Ainsworth a run.
Waterman and Hutch aren’t the type of players you play funny buggers with. If they’re sore, they wouldn’t be in the team on Thursday. Not good nor integral enough to bother playing games with the opposition

The old General Soreness

I’m hoping Masten late in for Waterman.. :p Would nearly pay the 20k fine myself just for the lols

Personally I prefer Hutch tagging the winger/outside types, meaning he doesn't take time away from our main mids at the centre bounce. Its why we always do so well against the Pies midfield because Sidebottom is rarely in the centre square.

The Dogs have a few options, Macrae and Hunter the main two. Though I do quite like the Daniel idea. He has tagged Johannisen a couple of times against the Dogs, Daniel playing that half back role these days could defintale be an option.
Hunter and Johannisen have fallen out of favour among the Bulldog fraternity.
I’m told by my WB mates that their is concern that both these players over run with the ball and end up in no mans land and as such, many forward forays don’t result in scores on the board.

Hunter and Johannisen have fallen out of favour among the Bulldog fraternity.
I’m told by my WB mates that their is concern that both these players over run with the ball and end up in no mans land and as such, many forward forays don’t result in scores on the board.

Yeah was more using them as examples of why its a good game for Hutch to keep his spot. Lots of options.

I love the tagging Daniel idea. He's been instrumental to the Dogs in their wins this year, they go out of their way to get the ball in his hands. And I doubt he's ever been tagged at AFL level yet, reckon Hutch would completely wipe him out of the game.

I don't watch the Bulldogs much, but a bunch of their 2016 premiership players are still out there, plus Sam Lloyd and youngsters like Tim English...where in the hell has it gone wrong for them since 2016?

I don't watch the Bulldogs much, but a bunch of their 2016 premiership players are still out there, plus Sam Lloyd and youngsters like Tim English...where in the hell has it gone wrong for them since 2016?

That’s what happens when you Bradbury a premiership.

They were a fairly average side who found form at the right time of year, and all the right dominoes fell into place for them to win the flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back