Preview Changes vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Listening to Motlop’s interview he admitted hasn’t had the best of seasons. Says he was playing on a wing which didn’t suit him as much but last week he played as a small forward and could get into his game and feels more confident in that role.

Interesting.

Screenshot_20190628-113215_AFL.jpg

That red spot combined with his 0 goal assists, 0 score and 0 marks inside 50 would suggest to me that's he's still very much on the wing and very much not forward.

Did lol at the fact that Westhoff is the perfect and obvious replacement for Howard given everything about this week's game but because we made a big statement at selection last week we feel like we need to back it up this week by having him play for the Magpies.

Did lol at the fact that Westhoff is the perfect and obvious replacement for Howard
Except for his shitty AFL form which has persisted for months

Seems to have been an epidemic of blows to the head with a big rubber hammer around here, the tweeting of little birds is deafening

Ladhams' form was in an entirely different role though. Jack Trengove's form was really good early in the season too but we didn't bring him in to play as a second KPF.

I like Ladhams, and if it was Lycett rather than Ryder out of the side I'd have zero problem with his selection, but he's just not the right fit this week. Any of Frampton, Marshall, Westhoff or Ryder would've all been better fits for the role we've brought Ladhams in to play.
I don’t like Frampton in the second ruck role, though I can see where you are coming from.

Lycett was fantastic but we can’t afford to just run him into the ground IMO.

Interesting.

View attachment 699690

That red spot combined with his 0 goal assists, 0 score and 0 marks inside 50 would suggest to me that's he's still very much on the wing and very much not forward.

Why don't you take a look at Duursma and Amon's possession map and compare what a player on the wing actually does, instead of assuming you know what they do?

Why don't you take a look at Duursma and Amon's possession map and compare what a player on the wing actually does, instead of assuming you know what they do?

This is a teachable moment Janus. If you want people to get behind you, teach them, don't tease them. Show the heat map and then compare it to Motlop's. That way people might be more likely to support your ideas. Bonus points if you can do it succinctly.

Explain to me, with all the points I just made, how Motlop played as a small forward on the weekend.

Explain to me, with all the points I just made, how Motlop played as a small forward on the weekend.

4599F04F-93B2-4955-9B4E-D68359DE37E3.jpeg

By your understanding, Duursma played as a forward. Except we know he didn’t.

Easiest way to tell if a Port player is on the wing - they’ll get at least one possession in defensive 50, because they are required to tuck behind the high backs and provide support.

Did Motlop get any possessions in defensive 50? Or is it more that he got a lot of them at a point of the ground where Dixon, Lycett or Howard would have brought the ball to ground as the ball was exiting defensive 50?

Except for his ****ty AFL form which has persisted for months

Seems to have been an epidemic of blows to the head with a big rubber hammer around here, the tweeting of little birds is deafening

Because Ladhams really starred against Hawthorn running around like a baby giraffe dropping and fumbling everything that came near him?

Because Ladhams really starred against Hawthorn running around like a baby giraffe dropping and fumbling everything that came near him?
Are you for *en real?

Ladhams’ debut game has him in 2019 averaging more goals and about two fewer touches than the 250+gamer, reigning PAFC B&F.

Better go do a concussion test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's compare the stats of one game of a resting ruck to the average of a forward who actually has a decent opponent playing on him every week.

Unbelievable.

Let's compare the stats of one game of a resting ruck to the average of a forward who actually has a decent opponent playing on him every week.

Unbelievable.
1. Unbelievable is hanging s**t on a debutant for performing about as well as a 250 gamer gifted a months-long gold pass

2. Westhoff has an opponent this year? Weird, I thought you said it was all zones. Next you’ll be pretending he adds structure a resting ruckman doesn’t.

3. Bye again Janus, you need to do better

The worst part about that day is that the selection of Ladhams had the single greatest impact on that game. He got picked, played first ruck, we got pantsed in the middle as a result in the first and we needed to change tack and ruck Paddy for the rest of the game but the game was already gone.

I love Ladhams, I think he has a huge future, but right now these selections have 'trying to be too cute' written all over them.

In the conditions we're expecting, a 50% and out of form Westhoff would still be more effective than Ladhams. Lycett will dominate in ruck, we just needed an agile replacement tall forward. Westhoff is the man for that, or otherwise give Marshall another crack.

Personally I left last week thinking we were a bit lucky up forward and could've been improved with one more player that could play tall but also get involved in some link up play. Not like we don't have that guy laying around

In the conditions we're expecting, a 50% and out of form Westhoff would still be more effective than Ladhams. Lycett will dominate in ruck, we just needed an agile replacement tall forward. Westhoff is the man for that, or otherwise give Marshall another crack.
Since round one Westhoff has been 95% out of form.

The worst part about that day is that the selection of Ladhams had the single greatest impact on that game. He got picked, played first ruck, we got pantsed in the middle as a result in the first and we needed to change tack and ruck Paddy for the rest of the game but the game was already gone.

I love Ladhams, I think he has a huge future, but right now these selections have 'trying to be too cute' written all over them.

Personally I left last week thinking we were a bit lucky up forward and could've been improved with one more player that could play tall but also get involved in some link up play. Not like we don't have that guy laying around
In what world is Hoff suddenly a good forward?? For mine the question was between Ladhams and Frampton. I would love for Marshall to be in the conversation but he needs to find a run of form first as he is a confidence player.

1. Unbelievable is hanging **** on a debutant for performing about as well as a 250 gamer gifted a months-long gold pass

2. Westhoff has an opponent this year?

3. Bye again Janus, you need to do better

They play different roles. Ladhams is a resting ruck. Westhoff's best position is in the role that Marshall was playing at the start of the year.

Ladhams did okay for his first game of AFL, and I'm not asking for Westhoff to take his place this week. He's fighting with Ryder for that position. That's all you need to say. Going to stats proves nothing in this instance.

Don't be so sensitive when people disagree with you. I've had to deal with it for five years. Surely you can deal with it for five minutes.

View attachment 699719

By your understanding, Duursma played as a forward. Except we know he didn’t.

Easiest way to tell if a Port player is on the wing - they’ll get at least one possession in defensive 50, because they are required to tuck behind the high backs and provide support.

Did Motlop get any possessions in defensive 50? Or is it more that he got a lot of them at a point of the ground where Dixon, Lycett or Howard would have brought the ball to ground as the ball was exiting defensive 50?

Ok, because you're completely allergic to answering questions directly, why don't you look at where Motlop has been getting all his possessions in every other game this year and then try and work out how it was any different to last week.

Massive underrating of Westhofff around here. He would've been my Howard replacement but i can understand why they feel the need to give him a run in the two's to get some touch back.

i just hope Ladhams takes his chance this time.

Massive underrating of Westhofff around here. He would've been my Howard replacement but i can understand why they feel the need to give him a run in the two's to get some touch back.

i just hope Ladhams takes his chance this time.
He's averaging 17 touches and a goal a game and people are all like drop the spud, can't play forward!

Westhoffs been a great servant playing a half forward role for us for 12 years, has so much natural footy smarts, and an incredible amount of versatility, that regardless of a small form drop can still prove beneficial for us to utilize.

He's averaging 17 touches and a goal a game and people are all like drop the spud, can't play forward!

Westhoffs been a great servant playing a half forward role for us for 12 years, has so much natural footy smarts, and an incredible amount of versatility, that regardless of a small form drop can still prove beneficial for us to utilize.
Yeah he definitely hasn't been as obscure as Ryder on the field this year. He was still playing okay in my opinion, but obviously well down on last years career best year.

One thing i noticed was that his on field demeanor wasn't the best at times, i think he was well aware that he wasn't playing that well and was showing his frustration a bit. A solid game or two in the two's could just be the tonic to get him back to his best and back in the side as i still think he is a valuable component.

4 goals across his last 11 games. A full half a season.

Lets lay into Ladhams though eh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back