Preview Changes vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, because you're completely allergic to answering questions directly, why don't you look at where Motlop has been getting all his possessions in every other game this year and then try and work out how it was any different to last week.

While I'm not your personal research assistant, I'll humour you.

Here’s Motlop’s season:

F38BA271-5BED-4130-92D2-72FC4D8B0D9D.jpeg

See the possessions in defensive 50? That means he was playing wing. I also see that most of his possessions are on the wing.

Wing is his secondary position. His primary position is as a small forward.

lol, don't do if for me, do it for yourself.

He's playing the same role he's played all year.

He's averaging 17 touches and a goal a game and people are all like drop the spud, can't play forward!

Westhoffs been a great servant playing a half forward role for us for 12 years, has so much natural footy smarts, and an incredible amount of versatility, that regardless of a small form drop can still prove beneficial for us to utilize.
Outside of the first game of the year he has been a liability. Has he featured in any coaches votes? Any votes on here? Even if he manages to get a shot at goal he is odds on to miss it. Momentum killer as a forward.

4 goals across his last 11 games. A full half a season.

Lets lay into Ladhams though eh
There's no laying into Ladhams. There's an acceptance that Ladhams is a great young talent, that needs more time to get to the level of a Westhoff, a 250 game top line AFL footballer. Thats not a crack at Ladhams thats reality, and if we werent trying to be 'cute' with our selections we'd be picking the player who will make us better on field this weekend and there is no world in which on a wet night, Ladhams adds more than Westy at this stage in his career. Maybe as soon as next year yes, but he's not there yet.

There's no laying into Ladhams. There's an acceptance that Ladhams is a great young talent, that needs more time to get to the level of a Westhoff, a 250 game top line AFL footballer. Thats not a crack at Ladhams thats reality, and if we werent trying to be 'cute' with our selections we'd be picking the player who will make us better on field this weekend and there is no world in which on a wet night, Ladhams adds more than Westy at this stage in his career. Maybe as soon as next year yes, but he's not there yet.
Given we’ve been waiting for magical lightning to jolt Westy into form for a couple of months with absolutely no results, I reckon the case to give just about any other player on our list a chance at AFL level is stronger than that for slotting Justin straight back in off a form-less bye.

How many other players would we want rush back in with a 1 in 10 good game to mediocre game ratio this year. ******* none.

Outside of the first game of the year he has been a liability. Has he featured in any coaches votes? Any votes on here? Even if he manages to get a shot at goal he is odds on to miss it. Momentum killer as a forward.
We'll agree to disagree. I'd rather a proven player that makes defenders accountable, can do the mecurial, can play tall, play small and fill any role if required, wing, back or ruck, be in our side when we are in desperate need of a win, than trying to be a little cute with selection and picking an extra ruckman in a wet game.

We'll agree to disagree. I'd rather a proven player that makes defenders accountable, can do the mecurial, can play tall, play small and fill any role if required, wing, back or ruck, be in our side when we are in desperate need of a win
* yeah, I’ll take that too. Who is it, because sure as s**t its not 2019 Justin Westhoff

Personally I left last week thinking we were a bit lucky up forward and could've been improved with one more player that could play tall but also get involved in some link up play. Not like we don't have that guy laying around
the one thing about the forward line that should have been better was our set shot goal kicking. Off the top of my head, Robbie Gray, Dixon (x2), Dougal, Sam Gray, Butters, Duursma all missed set shots that any competent afl quality player should nail 9/10 times.
We should have beaten geelong by at least 6 goals. Personnel on the night was not a problem

lol, don't do if for me, do it for yourself.

He's playing the same role he's played all year.

Since he said he's not, he's not. Why would he lie about it?

There is just no way Westhoff could remotely approach the decisively manic game we produced against the Cats.
He does not fit the mould.
If that is our signature game from here on, he must resign himself to intermittent games based upon need.
As a very late draft pick he has been creditable over his career, but 11 very poor games has far exceeded the tenure of even a gold pass player.
Clearly the coaches agree, and I support that approach, despite the bleating of some here. I have rarely agreed with our coaches, and still question the selection of Motlop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll agree to disagree. I'd rather a proven player that makes defenders accountable, can do the mecurial, can play tall, play small and fill any role if required, wing, back or ruck, be in our side when we are in desperate need of a win, than trying to be a little cute with selection and picking an extra ruckman in a wet game.
To maintain the structure that saw us play the way we did last week we need to bring in a tall forward to cover Dougal. Hoff is not that player. In fact if Dougal had have been playing back and needed to be covered I would be more inclined to agree with you.

Here’s Motlop’s season:

See the possessions in defensive 50? That means he was playing wing. I also see that most of his possessions are on the wing.

Wing is his secondary position. His primary position is as a small forward.

What the * does Motlop's season record have to do with his claim of moving into a small forward role against Geelong when his heatmap showed heavily possessions in the back half? Because thats what the original post was commenting on.

Or apparently it makes perfect sense that Motlop playing as a forward has more possessions in the defensive half of the ground. But when he plays on the wing, he has more possessions in the attacking half.

What the **** does Motlop's season record have to do with his claim of moving into a small forward role against Geelong when his heatmap showed heavily possessions in the back half? Because thats what the original post was commenting on.

Or apparently it makes perfect sense that Motlop playing as a forward has more possessions in the defensive half of the ground. But when he plays on the wing, he has more possessions in the attacking half.

Because he said he’s been playing wing for most of the season?

What I’m saying is - unless you know what is required to play wing at Port Adelaide, and what is required to play small forward, why would you say he’s playing the exact same role?

I’m quite certain the guy who is actually playing knows what the differences are.

The worst part about that day is that the selection of Ladhams had the single greatest impact on that game. He got picked, played first ruck, we got pantsed in the middle as a result in the first and we needed to change tack and ruck Paddy for the rest of the game but the game was already gone.
All of this is 100% retrospective dross. You're conflating our late quarter collapse leading to 5 unanswered goals with Ladhams starting in the ruck.

Ladhams rucked the first 5-10 minutes, after which the scores were 0-0. The first half of the quarter was an arm wrestle. We had chances, blew them, then SPP had an aneurysm and we collapsed (while Ryder was in the ruck, I might add).

I know this because I read the review thread before watching the game and was interested to see just how poor Ladhams was in the first few ruck contests. He wasn't bad, at all.

The collapse lays fairly and squarely on our senior players that game, not our 1 & 3 game key talls.

That said, I'd prefer Frampton or Marshall over Ladhams tomorrow. Pick forwards to play forward. It's not hard.

I have been waiting over ten years for Westhoff to be dropped. He is everything I don't like about post 2004 Port Adelaide. Don't ruin this for me.

What the **** does Motlop's season record have to do with his claim of moving into a small forward role against Geelong when his heatmap showed heavily possessions in the back half? Because thats what the original post was commenting on.

Listen to his interview on 26/6. He said he lost a bit of confidence this year playing wing and bit of mid. Said is now playing small forward which suits him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back