Unofficial Preview Changes vs Carlton Round 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
David Teague is the caretaker/undertaker.

I can see it going 1 of 2 ways, both result in a win for us though.

1- The Blues fire up and we win a hard fought contest by 10-20 points.

2- They are so downcast that we give them a 70+ points hiding.

When was the last time we won a game by over 100?

I am extremely nervous if Bolton is truly gone

Stupid Carlton playing the "sack the coach" card just before our game.

We'll sack fages just to break even

A few years ago teams would treat games against us as a bye round as we were so easy to beat. Now, teams are sackit their coaches in order to get enough momentum to try and beat us. How times have changed!

In: Sam Kerridge (Adelaide), Andrew Phillips (GWS), Jed Lamb (GWS), Lachie Plowman (GWS), Liam Sumner (GWS), picks 8, 11, 19 and 60
Out: Troy Menzel, Tom Bell, Lachie Henderson, picks 20, 41, 77 and 95
2015 draft picks: 1, 8, 11, 19, 59, 60, 113

In:
Billie Smedts (Geelong), Caleb Marchbank (GWS), Jarrod Pickett (GWS), Rhys Palmer (GWS), pick 48, 63, 66, 70
Out: Zach Tuohy, picks 45, 58, 135, and 2017 second-round pick
2016 draft picks: 5, 25, 48, 63, 81, 99

In:
Matthew Kennedy, Darcy Lang, Matthew Lobbe, pick 10, 30, 73, 2018 second-round pick (Adelaide), 2018 second-round pick (Western Bulldogs), 2018 fourth-round pick (Geelong)
Out: Bryce Gibbs, pick 40, 58, 77, 95, 2018 third-round pick, 2018 fourth-round pick
2017 draft picks: 3, 10, 30, 73

In:
Mitch McGovern, Alex Fasolo, Will Setterfield, Nic Newman, pick 71, 2019 third-round pick
Out: Nathan Kreuger, Shane McAdam, picks 26, 28, 43, 2019 second-round pick, 2019 fourth-round pick, 2019 fifth-round pick
2018 draft picks: 1, 69, 71, 77

WOW! That is a list of ordinary players.
View attachment 685900

Most were very cheap, but of that list you could only put a tick against Marchbank. McGOvern and Newman likely ticks but too early to be sure. Wright was ok for a season or so and Carlton fans rate Plowman but he's not good.

Very generously I think thats 5/24, with a question mark over Kennedy and Setterfield as possible ticks in the future. The way Kennedy is playing though he won't be offered another contract at the end of the year.

Ugh, why couldn't they be making this decision next Monday. I hate the paradox of teams suddenly finding some form the round after the head coach gets sacked mid-season.

How can anyone look at this list of players SOS has recruited and not realise he has to go:

Most were very cheap, but of that list you could only put a tick against Marchbank. McGOvern and Newman likely ticks but too early to be sure. Wright was ok for a season or so and Carlton fans rate Plowman but he's not good.

Very generously I think thats 5/24, with a question mark over Kennedy and Setterfield as possible ticks in the future. The way Kennedy is playing though he won't be offered another contract at the end of the year.

Comparison for us in the same period (ticks in black, debateable ones in italics)

2015: Tom Bell, Jarrad Jansen, Josh Walker, Ryan Bastinac
2016: Jack Frost
2017: Luke Hodge, Charlie Cameron
2018: Lachie Neale, Jarryd Lyons, Linc McCarthy, Marcus Adams*

Doesn't include 2014 which would incorporate two further ticks in Beams and M Robbo, and a debateable but probably not a tick in Bundy.

Basti is interesting as his 2017 was very good but otherwise not amazing. Probably similar sort to Wright for the blues.

Not including Basti thats 6/11, with Marcus Adams an unknown but hopefully a tick that gets us to 7/11. We paid a higher price for two of the players listed than Carlton did for any of theirs (Neale, Charlie) but other than that its not like they cost a fortune.

Well Bolton has gone but you would not stop there. The recruiting department led by S.Silvagni has a bit to answer for. He has recruited his own 2 sons - For Gods Sake. Come on Carlton. Have a good look at yourselves because you have all put yourselves in the position you are in. You all stood and let it happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Bolton has gone but you would not stop there. The recruiting department led by S.Silvagni has a bit to answer for. He has recruited his own 2 sons - For Gods Sake. Come on Carlton. Have a good look at yourselves because you have all put yourselves in the position you are in. You all stood and let it happen.

Did not realise he got his own sons a gig. How on earth did that cowboy act happen in this day and age of transparency?? id want him GONE immediately on those acts alone.

It's ok. Play a tagger on Cripps win game.

Tag him but nicely ... and talk a lot about how wonderful it is to have a stable supporting coaching and back office group ... how nice the weather is ... how great it is to be part of a team working together and protecting eachother ... just casually you know just in case he is thinking about moving ...

Cripps and the marking talls appear to be their biggest strength. I don’t think Cripps can beat Neale, Lyons (now in form), Zorko et al on his own and I think Harris and Darcy are more than capable of holding the backline up. And I’m not sure they have the matchups to go with our forwards. A new coach aside, which I don’t think is an actual reason, the only case I can mount for this being anything less than a 5 goal win is that we’re a relatively unproven quantity when playing away.

Cripps and the marking talls appear to be their biggest strength. I don’t think Cripps can beat Neale, Lyons (now in form), Zorko et al on his own and I think Harris and Darcy are more than capable of holding the backline up. And I’m not sure they have the matchups to go with our forwards. A new coach aside, which I don’t think is an actual reason, the only case I can mount for this being anything less than a 5 goal win is that we’re a relatively unproven quantity when playing away.
I guess our record away is only ordinary but the fact remains that we should've beaten the Dogs and Freo. We really have surged late in games at home though haven't we ,home crowd factor ?

If they trot out with the same inexperienced 22 as the weekend I find it hard to see them winning barring a massive upset - it is not great:

They might have Simpson, McGovern and Thomas back which will help but it will still be a very very inexperienced side.

If they trot out with the same inexperienced 22 as the weekend I find it hard to see them winning barring a massive upset - it is not great:

They might have Simpson, McGovern and Thomas back which will help but it will still be a very very inexperienced side.

I don't want those three names back in. Plenty of experience and they could be fired up.

Ugh, why couldn't they be making this decision next Monday. I hate the paradox of teams suddenly finding some form the round after the head coach gets sacked mid-season.
Given how poor they have been, even with a lift in performance/effort with a new coach we should still have the structures, game play and skills to beat them. I’ll be seriously disappointed if we don’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back