Unofficial Preview Changes vs Carlton Round 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many will say I'm biased but I did think that, objectively, Archie offered way more in the ruck than either Martin or Oscar has this year. He's way over anyone with the leap and gets us first use. Our mids spilled it quite a bit, but it lowers the randomness of that centre bounce scenario and we can score from them more this year. He's also great with his hands around the ground (good passage on the wing on the weekend).

He absolutely is the worst of the 3 as a forward, but when he rests in the square he can mark and kick goals. I guess his role would be to bring the ball to ground if he's going up for a pack mark as he rarely takes one.

I think you're biased

Many will say I'm biased but I did think that, objectively, Archie offered way more in the ruck than either Martin or Oscar has this year. He's way over anyone with the leap and gets us first use. Our mids spilled it quite a bit, but it lowers the randomness of that centre bounce scenario and we can score from them more this year. He's also great with his hands around the ground (good passage on the wing on the weekend).

He absolutely is the worst of the 3 as a forward, but when he rests in the square he can mark and kick goals. I guess his role would be to bring the ball to ground if he's going up for a pack mark as he rarely takes one.

Started seeing that from 3rd quarter onwards, his leap and reach was amazing. Noticed the taps were going all over the place but Neale was on field coaching him few times, kind of having a sneaky word to Archie before center bounce. If we leave Archie in first 22, this chemistry will get better and he's likely to hold the position down for rest of the year.

Any chance we would look at say an Isaac smith to come in and play wing for us as a free agent or at 30 is he out of our age demographic now ?

There was an article in the herald sun online and the title just said 'Why a Hawk should follow Hodge North' Had a photo of Smith but didn't actually give any reason why he should in the article. But it stated due to where the hawks are at he would only be signing one year deals until he is cooked.

Surprised to see so many calling for Nick Robbo to be dropped. Think there's an element of whipping-boy about him now, which is disappointing. He struggled early in the first, and was responsible for a goal or two, but after that, he acclimatised and I thought his defensive work on Breust was exceptional. If we're going to focus on Nick Robbo's poor first 15 minutes, we should also focus on Harris, who had a great game overall, but was pantsed early a couple of times.

Lewy Taylor - come on down. Gotta give a boy credit when he does well, and I thought he was a big mover in helping us gain some momentum in the second.

Archie - great ruck, can't play anything else. Resting OMac has to be more about him not being up to it than actual best-22. I think the preferable ruck combos, in order, are:
- Martin/Omac
- Smith/Omac
- Omac/McStay
- Smith/McStay
- Any other combo, including just having Archie ruck 100% of the game, and having no other rucks on the field
- Martin/Smith

Carlton - they've actually got a lot of good players. They just don't play together, for whatever reason, and don't have a functional gameplan. This comes up as a danger game for me (really, they all are). Was doing reviews recently with one of my staff, and after a bit of shuffling of jobs around, her improvement was huge. Asked her what had changed, and she said that after 5 years of the same thing, a change was as good as a holiday. This, to me, is Carlton. Bit of a change, something different, and some new motivators like impressing the new boss, either to get a favourable contract, or a favourable trade. You just never know what you're going to get.

Out: Martin, Hodge
In: McInerney, Allison

I'd love to see the combo of Smith and McInerney. Big improvement over Martin/Smith.
For the H&A season, I'd be having Hodgy resting every 3 or 4 weeks, and rotating other players through. Between Harris and Witho, have Hodgy teaching them how to point. I don't think Hodgy needs the break at the moment - I just think it's in our best interests to be rotating it. Obviously, come finals, who cares about exposure, run the best 22.

Id like to see Archie stay in, with Martin spending a bit more time forward. I felt that once Archie went into the ruck we dominated the middle a bit more - he has a great leap and it ensures we get first touch.

My only change would be:
OUT: Robertson - did a great job for the role given
IN: Allison - little bit taller and a better user of the ball off halfback.
I'd be very surprised if Nick Robertson is dropped, and I don't think Jacob Allsion is a better ball user off half back than Nick, he is a longer runner and usually his long kick is to a contest, his short to medium kicks can be a bit dicey though.

By the way.. welcome to Big Footy Jacob.:thumbsu:

Surprised to see so many calling for Nick Robbo to be dropped. Think there's an element of whipping-boy about him now, which is disappointing. He struggled early in the first, and was responsible for a goal or two, but after that, he acclimatised and I thought his defensive work on Breust was exceptional. If we're going to focus on Nick Robbo's poor first 15 minutes, we should also focus on Harris, who had a great game overall, but was pantsed early a couple of times.

Lewy Taylor - come on down. Gotta give a boy credit when he does well, and I thought he was a big mover in helping us gain some momentum in the second.

Archie - great ruck, can't play anything else. Resting OMac has to be more about him not being up to it than actual best-22. I think the preferable ruck combos, in order, are:
- Martin/Omac
- Smith/Omac
- Omac/McStay
- Smith/McStay
- Any other combo, including just having Archie ruck 100% of the game, and having no other rucks on the field
- Martin/Smith

Carlton - they've actually got a lot of good players. They just don't play together, for whatever reason, and don't have a functional gameplan. This comes up as a danger game for me (really, they all are). Was doing reviews recently with one of my staff, and after a bit of shuffling of jobs around, her improvement was huge. Asked her what had changed, and she said that after 5 years of the same thing, a change was as good as a holiday. This, to me, is Carlton. Bit of a change, something different, and some new motivators like impressing the new boss, either to get a favourable contract, or a favourable trade. You just never know what you're going to get.

Out: Martin, Hodge
In: McInerney, Allison

I'd love to see the combo of Smith and McInerney. Big improvement over Martin/Smith.
For the H&A season, I'd be having Hodgy resting every 3 or 4 weeks, and rotating other players through. Between Harris and Witho, have Hodgy teaching them how to point. I don't think Hodgy needs the break at the moment - I just think it's in our best interests to be rotating it. Obviously, come finals, who cares about exposure, run the best 22.

Think that's a bit generous. Some promising youth and ok to decent experienced players who are injured at the moment. Cripps the only star, weitering probably their next best player.

Think that's a bit generous. Some promising youth and ok to decent experienced players who are injured at the moment. Cripps the only star, weitering probably their next best player.
I didn’t watch all of their game on the weekend but what I did see, I thought Weitering was very good!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are reading way to much into the north game

Different kettle of fish

Ur mob should be winning this 6 goals minimum

Way too slick and hard across the ground, nightmare matchup for them

Thanks Dayne, hope you're right mate.

I’ve seen a few suggestions almost implying we could try one or two things this week given our opponent.

I’m the complete opposite and of the view we limit changes unless necessary such McInerney coming back in for Smith and possibly Walker in if we need that third tall in the back half. Personally, the venue suits Cutler to a tee but I doubt he’ll be selected due to the performance of the team last week.

Still a danger game and we should be preparing for it as if we were playing Geelong and our season was on the line. I doubt Fagan would be preparing any other way.

People are reading way to much into the north game

Different kettle of fish

Ur mob should be winning this 6 goals minimum

Way too slick and hard across the ground, nightmare matchup for them
North playing for their outgoing Coach as opposed to Carlton players playing for their ongoing careers, with their next Coach?

I reckon Fages will have been FUMING about the poor start against the Hawks as well. Expect the boys to come out firing to rectify it.

Get a few early goals in and should break their spirit a bit. If it gets scrappy we're in a bit of trouble.

I’ve seen a few suggestions almost implying we could try one or two things this week given our opponent.

I’m the complete opposite and of the view we limit changes unless necessary such McInerney coming back in for Smith and possibly Walker in if we need that third tall in the back half. Personally, the venue suits Cutler to a tee but I doubt he’ll be selected due to the performance of the team last week.

Still a danger game and we should be preparing for it as if we were playing Geelong and our season was on the line. I doubt Fagan would be preparing any other way.
:thumbsu:. Couldn't agree more D12, if we tried a few things or rested players who are OK to play it would send a terrible sign to our players, they'd even if it's subconsciously drop their intensity a few percent and the result could be disastrous.

We can not afford to lose this game.

I reckon Fages will have been FUMING about the poor start against the Hawks as well. Expect the boys to come out firing to rectify it.

Get a few early goals in and should break their spirit a bit. If it gets scrappy we're in a bit of trouble.
Sometimes after a hard close game, long flight home, 6 day turn around you can understand a slightly sluggish start.
The fact they were able to turn that around and work their way into the game would do wonders for their confidence.
They will come out firing this week, I have no doubt. The bye the week after, one last max effort before a well earned week off!

The players also have the added motivation of the clubs Hall of Fame dinner being that night, they wouldn't be too keen on walking into that event with a lot of past Lions greats in attendance after a loss to the bottom of the ladder team.
There aren’t the links as years ago to Fitzroy i.e. Brown (through his Dad), Chris Johnson, Lynch & Pike (Ex Fitzroy), Power and Selwood (Fitzroy fans) etc but we always seem to lift when wearing a Roy’s inspired jumper evidenced by Voss and Rockliff grabbing the jumping after goaling, so I hope this match will be no exception. We just not to focus on what we need to do and not worry about Carlton’s drama and the result should take care of itself.

For people like myself and my family, games wearing the Fitzroy jumper in Melbourne against an old rival are always pretty special days.

Out: Hodge
In: Allison

You know we have the bye next week? And Hodge was out for the Crows game a few weeks ago? No point in resting him for this game at all.

I watched bits of the Carlton game last weekend, and apart from Cripps and Kreuzer they didn't look at all impressive. So, if we can contain these two I reckon we're a long way towards winning the game.

The Lions two-ruck strategy (Martin/Smith or Martin/McInerney) should be able to handle Kreuzer. Normally, I'd back Berry to at least slow down Cripps, but in his absence either of the two Robbos could be given the job. Given Nick's more comparable size and running ability (and his past success in running with Buddy), maybe he's the one to sit in Cripps' pocket all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back