Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree somewhat. I think teams playing slow careful footy struggle against us because it gives us time to set up down back and inevitably leads to slow I50 entries.

We are vulnerable against attacking running sides that carry the ball by hand from half back direct through the middle. See Port this year and Essendon 2018.

Don’t think we will lose to Carlton but it won’t be because they play attacking rather than defensive
All depends how clean they are. The Port and Essendon games worked because they rarely messed up disposals coming through the middle. Our two weaknesses are fast clean ball movement down the corridor and parking the bus (could make an argument that both of those are true for just about every side in the comp). Part of the reason we also has Richmond’s measure last year, as their game plan is intentionally messy which plays into our hands.

If they try to open the game up but are off slightly, we have the ability to cut them up with quick movement by foot the other way (far quicker than any run and carry). Same could be said for any side really, if you’re not clean against us and we show up that day, goodluck to you.

Good to see Jarrod Cameron getting a decent run of AFL games. He's had three quiet ones in a row and I'm really hoping he has pops up again this week. When Cripps returns one of Petch or Cameron will go out and (I might be going against the grain here) but IMO Cameron is the better player due to his defence.

Last edited:

Interested to see how Waterman goes. Three weeks in a row in this latest stretch of games, it’s a good enough chance to impress, hope he makes the best of it this week. Can’t see how he’s staying in once Hutch/Duggan/Cripps are all available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last few times Carlton have played us they have gone the full stem the bleeding, ultra negative football, which hasn't allowed them to win, but it has made the scores uncomfortably close.

Teague has them playing attacking football with a freedom to their style. Thats great for Carlton until now. Because playing free and attacking football against the Eagles is a terrible idea.

If we bring the right attitude we should blow them away, as our game plan favors us. I can see us punishing them on turnovers and bombs into their forward fifty. They will then lose confidence quickly and we can smash them.

If we allow them to get going early however, they will have their tails up and will take us on ferociously.
Went onto the Carlton Board earlier in the week and somebody said Teague was putting something into place to try and nullify us? What that something is who knows, but I guess it's the only chance they have of winning. IMO would prefer an attacking style game and may the best man or team win!

Went onto the Carlton Board earlier in the week and somebody said Teague was putting something into place to try and nullify us? What that something is who knows, but I guess it's the only chance they have of winning. IMO would prefer an attacking style game and may the best man or team win!

Coach devising tactics to nullify his next opponent

Revolutionary

I doubt there is a later flight, sounds like we are playing games with Ryan and he probably wont play?

That means we’d be replacing Ryan with Cole (a defender for a forward) and not bothering to have a travelling emergency

Someone else is taking a later flight, most likely Ryan since he’s been named

You don't say?

Sure hope it doesn't catch on, the last thing our premiership defence needs is opposition coaches putting things into place against us.

You don't say?

Sure hope it doesn't catch on, the last thing our premiership defence needs is opposition coaches putting things into place against us.

haha

in all seriousness, as an opposition, what do you prioritise in trying to stop WC?

Man up JK and JD? Pretty sure every team tries this every week.
Stop Gov? Then Barrass and Shep do the intercepting.
Tag Hurn off half back? Leave Jetts free
Tag Yeo? Leave Shuey free
Tag Shuey? Leave Yeo free

The adaptability of this team is its greatest strength. Within the last few years we've gone from been criticized of being:

flat track bullies
chokers in close games
no good away
no good at the G
no good in the wet

to addressing (in various ways) every single one of these.

Full faith in Simmo to address whatevers thrown our way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back