Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Omg locking it in our forward half is a symptom not the recipe if we actually kicked goals it would go back to the middle 6 points instead of multiples of 1. We are the number one team for inside fifty we need to start capitalising on these entries or all we are doing is making it easy for teams to score by getting out the back the exact same way we lost our final last year.
How many of those entries are repeat entries from the opposition clearing it out, and us kicking back into a congested forward line? Stats only tell part of the story.

Missed set shots have sweet * all to do with the gameplan, that's a skill error, but you asked a question about why certain players and teams have space etc and we don't, the way we play is a factor in it to.

I forgot we have only ever played absolute spuds alongside Dixon thats why he can't fire. Explain Hawkins last year? I mean Gary Rohan is renowned for being a huge body.

Geelong‘s style of play really helped him. Slow and steady and there kicks into 50 are very deliberate and to advantage. Hawkins may have won the coleman, but look at the displacement of goals. He kicked 42 in 18 games (which isnt fantastic), and 11 of those goals (26%) came in 2 games (against Saints and Port).

comparing Geelong to Port is very difficult. Admittedly, Port don’t have a history under Hinkley of playing multiple talls.

How many of those entries are repeat entries from the opposition clearing it out, and us kicking back into a congested forward line? Stats only tell part of the story.

Missed set shots have sweet fu** all to do with the gameplan, that's a skill error, but you asked a question about why certain players and teams have space etc and we don't, the way we play is a factor in it to.
Okay so Geelong are more skilled than us Richmond empty out their forward line and leave their talented players in one v ones West Coast are clearly more talented than us around the entire ground and must play a better structure as well right. Our game plan makes life harder for us to score and also plays right into our opponents game plan? So your argument is its not the players its the coaches? That would be the opposite argument i have seen you make in the past. Why wouldn't we make a game plan to exploit having the tallest full forward of all time?

Okay so Geelong are more skilled than us Richmond empty out their forward line and leave their talented players in one v ones West Coast are clearly more talented than us around the entire ground and must play a better structure as well right. Our game plan makes life harder for us to score and also plays right into our opponents game plan? So your argument is its not the players its the coaches? That would be the opposite argument i have seen you make in the past. Why wouldn't we make a game plan to exploit having the tallest full forward of all time?

I wouldn’t say Geelong, Richmond or West Coast have a better game plan, they are just different and to their teams strength.

Port’s strength is in speed and forcing repeated entries. This results in a clogged up forward 50 and entries that are less than ideal.

occasionally Port’s skill let them down though. How often do Richmond or West Coast drop easy marks or miss handballs?

This all being said, it will be interesting to see what happens at selection this week.

Our gameplan doesn't play into opposition strengths it plays to ours.

You couldn't debate that Geelong and West Coast have better kicking skills then us around the ground. We have added better kicks to our list the past few years but in comparison to those two we aren't as good.

The set shot misses is on the players, you could have the perfect gameplan but if that happens it doesn't matter what the gameplan is or who coaches us, that's a player issue. Player skill errors are on the players.

The congestion is 6 of one half a dozen of another really. We want to press up, and mostly the opposition want to flood our space.

One thing I'd like to see is our players lowering their eyes, or the better kicks like Houston etc making the kick inside 50 as opposed to bombing it high and on Dixon, Toddy and co's heads.

I wouldn’t say Geelong, Richmond or West Coast have a better game plan, they are just different and to their teams strength.

Port’s strength is in speed and forcing repeated entries. This results in a clogged up forward 50 and entries that are less than ideal.

occasionally Port’s skill let them down though. How often do Richmond or West Coast drop easy marks or miss handballs?

This all being said, it will be interesting to see what happens at selection this week.
My argument is we wouldn't need repeat inside fifties if our number one target knew when and where to lead. Charlie dixon is 202cms tall, weighs 110kg and has a fair bit of speed he should be impossible to spoil on the run yet he chooses to stand still and engage in a wrestling competition with some of the strongest players there are. His skills are below par he is lazy and he needs to change the way he plays or we need to change the way we play him I think the best way we can achieve that is by dropping him. No one as of yet has convinced me that his form is good in fact no one has even argued that, if his only value to this side is by being tall play Marshall and hayes.

My argument is we wouldn't need repeat inside fifties if our number one target knew when and where to lead. Charlie dixon is 202cms tall, weighs 110kg and has a fair bit of speed he should be impossible to spoil on the run yet he chooses to stand still and engage in a wrestling competition with some of the strongest players there are. His skills are below par he is lazy and he needs to change the way he plays or we need to change the way we play him I think the best way we can achieve that is by dropping him. No one as of yet has convinced me that his form is good in fact no one has even argued that, if his only value to this side is by being tall play Marshall and hayes.
Wait so you think the whole gameplan is designed for Charlie and not to the strengths of our list?

Our gameplan doesn't play into opposition strengths it plays to ours.

You couldn't debate that Geelong and West Coast have better kicking skills then us around the ground. We have added better kicks to our list the past few years but in comparison to those two we aren't as good.

The set shot misses is on the players, you could have the perfect gameplan but if that happens it doesn't matter what the gameplan is or who coaches us, that's a player issue. Player skill errors are on the players.

The congestion is 6 of one half a dozen of another really. We want to press up, and mostly the opposition want to flood our space.

One thing I'd like to see is our players lowering their eyes, or the better kicks like Houston etc making the kick inside 50 as opposed to bombing it high and on Dixon, Toddy and co's heads.
I completely agree with your last paragraph except that I think the bombing it in is caused by our number one forward target and his refusal to lead. I actually think we are one of the top six most skilled sides this year I also believe we have a gameplan that can go all the way and the deepest list we have ever had under Ken. My pessimism stems from the forward and mid connection we should have beaten the roos and essendon by 80 those games were open we had the majority of the play but we couldn't find space.

As Dixon has been the centrepiece of our forward 6 for five years I think the commonalities between these years lie at his feet as much as the coaches and as I have said I watch him closely at home games he is lazy and he doesn't work nearly as hard as most of the other players I have mentioned from other teams.

Wait so you think the whole gameplan is designed for Charlie and not to the strengths of our list?
Okay way to misconstrue me ill say it like this why wouldn't you mix into your gameplan an exploit for your 202cm forward instead of crowding his workspace with lemmings?

I completely agree with your last paragraph except that I think the bombing it in is caused by our number one forward target and his refusal to lead. I actually think we are one of the top six most skilled sides this year I also believe we have a gameplan that can go all the way and the deepest list we have ever had under Ken. My pessimism stems from the forward and mid connection we should have beaten the roos and essendon by 80 those games were open we had the majority of the play but we couldn't find space.

As Dixon has been the centrepiece of our forward 6 for five years I think the commonalities between these years lie at his feet as much as the coaches and as I have said I watch him closely at home games he is lazy and he doesn't work nearly as hard as most of the other players I have mentioned from other teams.
Personally I think Dixon is spent from leading up to half back and up to the wings a lot of the time. I'd prefer him to stay closer to goal where he can use his energy for leading in the 50 and just outside it, not all the way up the ground. I think we look better with Marshall leading up to the wings and Dixon & Mitch closer to goal.

If those three get the chance to play more together they'll develop better chemistry and leading patterns together I think anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think Dixon is spent from leading up to half back and up to the wings a lot of the time. I'd prefer him to stay closer to goal where he can use his energy for leading in the 50 and just outside it, not all the way up the ground. I think we look better with Marshall leading up to the wings and Dixon & Mitch closer to goal.

If those three get the chance to play more together they'll develop better chemistry and leading patterns together I think anyway.
I am only talking about inside fifty hard to kick a goal from half back

Hopefully just the 3 changes and not more.

Marshall in for ladhams.

And take your pick of two of the following: rocky/bergman/woodcock/mead/Mayes for X and Butters.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Out:
P. Ladhams
Z. Butters
X. Duursma

In:
T. Marshall
J. Mead
M. Bergman

This is what I'd be doing.

It's the MCG. We need runners who can slot into the midfield but also push forward and kick a goal the same way that Butters and Duursma do. Mead and Bergman had 5 and 4 clearances respectively and can run all day.

I'd be putting Fantasia on ball in Butters spot, slotting Bergman into Fantasia's role and then putting Mead in Duursma's position. We aren't talking about a stop gap here - we are looking at players spending a bit of time on the sidelines, so we need to do some tinkering. Let's see what these guys can do.

This is what I'd be doing.

It's the MCG. We need runners who can slot into the midfield but also push forward and kick a goal the same way that Butters and Duursma do. Mead and Bergman had 5 and 4 clearances respectively and can run all day.

I'd be putting Fantasia on ball in Butters spot, slotting Bergman into Fantasia's role and then putting Mead in Duursma's position. We aren't talking about a stop gap here - we are looking at players spending a bit of time on the sidelines, so we need to do some tinkering. Let's see what these guys can do.
Bergman & Duursma, and Mead & Butters seem far more like for like than you proposal. Mead is an inside mid who slides forward, Bergman a winger - why swap them?

Bergman & Duursma, and Mead & Butters seem far more like for like than you proposal. Mead is an inside mid who slides forward, Bergman a winger - why swap them?

Mainly because with Wines, Boak and Drew I want Fantasia or Bergman as a point of difference the same way that Butters is a point of difference. I just think playing Mead inside we've got too many of the same type.

Mainly because with Wines, Boak and Drew I want Fantasia or Bergman as a point of difference the same way that Butters is a point of difference. I just think playing Mead inside we've got too many of the same type.
I'd keep Fantasia up forward. Keep it simple. The good thing about Mead is that it looks like he has a good balance of grunt and outside spread. Maybe people who watched vs Central can tell me how he got his disposals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back