Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Catching up on the changes thread to see ragging on the reigning AA CHF.

Good times.
How do you rate his form currently including his finals? As I have said I don't believe he was AA level last year I rate lynch and Reiwoldts year higher along with Gunston, Hawkins and Kennedys. But I relent if everyone believes that our forward line is operating at 100% i will move on but I disagree.

Our game plan has nothing to do with repeat forward entries thats a symptom of poor forward craft, I don't blame it on poor entries i have watched for years this fast strong behemoth of a man stand and wrestle 30 metres from goal while a plethora of other players fly all over him. This idea that his job is to bring the ball to ground is ridiculous, why add more steps to a pretty simple idea mark goal. Its also easier to kick a ball 35 metres to a leading forward than 50 to a guy standing still and further to this idea its easier to mark a ball leading with your defender following you than standing still being molested by 5 guys. How can any port supporter who watched Hawkins taking mark after mark against us last year can't see that Dixon's forward craft is flawed is a blind one eyed supporter.

Catching up on the changes thread to see ragging on the reigning AA CHF.

Good times.
Past performance isn’t indicative of future performance, do your own research before making a decision 😂

My argument is we wouldn't need repeat inside fifties if our number one target knew when and where to lead. Charlie dixon is 202cms tall, weighs 110kg and has a fair bit of speed he should be impossible to spoil on the run yet he chooses to stand still and engage in a wrestling competition with some of the strongest players there are. His skills are below par he is lazy and he needs to change the way he plays or we need to change the way we play him I think the best way we can achieve that is by dropping him. No one as of yet has convinced me that his form is good in fact no one has even argued that, if his only value to this side is by being tall play Marshall and hayes.

I almost hit like, but I wouldn’t say Dixon is lazy. On Friday, Dixon had 13 pressure acts and spent 28% of time in the defensive half, Riewoldt had 7 acts/10% defensive and Lynch 10 acts/13% defensive half.

that does show Dixon gets around the ground a lot more. (MG 11 acts, 17% defensive half).

is he clunking marks like he should? probably not, but I don’t think his heads on the chopping board.

I almost hit like, but I wouldn’t say Dixon is lazy. On Friday, Dixon had 13 pressure acts and spent 28% of time in the defensive half, Riewoldt had 7 acts/10% defensive and Lynch 10 acts/13% defensive half.

that does show Dixon gets around the ground a lot more. (MG 11 acts, 17% defensive half).

is he clunking marks like he should? probably not, but I don’t think his heads on the chopping board.

I would never say he’s lazy either. I just don’t see a natural forward in him, he’s more mechanical but gets the job done.

still think he’s a great second ruck third forward combo.

come at me

I don't think those stats help your arguments i don't really care how defensive my 200cm monster forward is I want him kicking goals in the forward fifty or genuinely creating them he has only had like four goals this entire year crumbed off him presenting as a target that Mitch and Todd wouldn't be able to do. Watch all our goal highlights from this year he barely features.

IN: Marshall, Bergman, Rockliff, McKenzie (for Rozee), Mead (for Fantasia)

OUT: Ladhams, Duursma, Butters, Rozee (if not fit), Fantasia (if not fit)

As others have already pointed out Charlie is too important to our structure to be dropped, but I can see (no pun intended) why supporters are often frustrated when he misjudges marks he should take comfortably, which seems to me to be more of a problem in night games.

On more than one occasion he appeared to clutch at the ball the other night which could suggest he was picking up the flight too late, so maybe he does need different contacts for night and day games, assuming of course that such beasts exist.
His marking is a problem in night games because he has issues with his eyes.

Dicko has been a touch out of form and sloppy but even if he's not clunking and kicking goals he's a great decoy for Mitch & Todd. I don't think it's the worst thing having him spend some minutes being second ruck in the forward half of the ground either to get more involved.

I feel a bit for Ladhams. I actually think his ruckwork has improved but the second ruck position is kind of dead in the AFL and teams are way better off being a forward that rucks part time than the other way around.

Richmond are proof of this in a way, their premiership system is setup to basically lose at stoppages.

Tough game this . The midfield including Lycett have to get on top or we could be in trouble . If we’re switched on and can control the midfield we should win but I’d definitely see it as a danger game.
Id bring Bergman in for Duursma , and because of that exchange of experience bring Rocky in if fit for Butters although it’s hardly like for like , other shuffling to compensate , probably more Rozee in Butters role if he’s fit that is . If Raz is out I’d bring in Woodcock for half forward .
Mckenzie and Lienert are both ready to come in but the injuries were more to the forward mids , Farrell and Mead could come in if .
Pity to lose Busters and the X man because they were building into some great form .

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bergman for Duursma, Woodcock for Butters, Marshall for Ladhams. Would love to see Hayes in, but it really doesn't make any sense to play him as a forward ahead of Marshall after Marshall had a 3 goal game last time out. If Marshall is still unavailable though, Hayes for Ladhams should be a definite.
This is exactly what will happen. Basset basically confirmed it on Saturday morning.

Could Liernart play on a wing? His ball use is great and he has the size, not sure about his tank though.

Could Marshall play wing?

Watching the 202cm Cox boy from Essendon play wing, forward and ruck shows it can work..

Hasn't done it at all in the SANFL.

Did it once in the goalsquare vs Centrals, that was a big arm flailing flop and the umpire ignored it. But other than that, he behaved himself and hunted the ball.

Marshall for Ladhams
Bergman for Duursma
Probably throw a blanket over a few but if we're going like for like then probably Farrell or Woodcock for Butters

If not for the injuries, I would have Hammer and Clurey out of the team as well but can't see 5 changes being made.

Didn't think he was in the best 3 for Port on Saturday.

I thought he was good, but tbh from a distance he could've been Schofield or Mead to me.

Hayes, Lienert, McKenzie, Garner would have been in my top 4.

And as I posted in the game day thread, I like Ollie Lord. He is a competitive beast for a tall skinny KPF getting up to speed.

In some ways, I agree that playing Dixon as second ruck might be good for him and the team. I'd like us to direct more footy through both Marshall and Georgiades to keep opposition sides guessing a bit, and to open our forward line up. Dixon also needs to be played into better form and a few minutes on ball each quarter shouldn't hurt that.

I thought he was good, but tbh from a distance he could've been Schofield or Mead to me.

Hayes, Lienert, McKenzie, Garner would have been in my top 4.

And as I posted in the game day thread, I like Ollie Lord. He is a competitive beast for a tall skinny KPF getting up to speed.
Hayes was fantastic. Schofield surprised me. Thought he was really good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back