Prediction Changes vs Collingwood 1st Elim Final @ Optus SATURDAY 3rd OCT 6.10PM WST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your list is spot on imo. From first preference to last. Assuming we finish 5th.

4. GWS: they have done quarantine here already and are a finals hardened team. Tough game.

5. Collingwood: they know what to expect with quarantine and will have pretty much a full squad. This will be the toughest of the lot.

- Rather Play Collingwood at Optus, than any of the others (Melbourne/Saints/GWS/Bulldogs) .

- Melbourne will beat us at Optus. They have something to prove.

- GWS will be the easiest at Optus. They’re almost always weak when fresh off the road.

Ranking difficulty (hardest to easiest) (at Optus) IMO.
1. Collingwood
2. Bulldogs
3. Melbourne
4. Saints
5. GWS

Last edited:
Sorry to be a pessimist, but can’t see us getting past 2nd final on present form. Especially in Queensland.

Need a massive turnaround in form asap. Hurn’s done it nicely, at just the right time. So there’s some hope if a few of our other stars can turn around just as fast.

Not sure where to ask this, but can someone explain to me what Brandon Ah Chee's role is, and why he is getting a regular game?

I know theoretically he's supposed to be a big-bodied inside mid, who is creative with his handball, but it looks like he's really offering a whole lot of nothing on the regular at the moment:

1600420806429.png

Last edited:

- Rather Play Collingwood at Optus, than any of the others (Melbourne/Saints/GWS/Bulldogs) .

- Melbourne will beat us at Optus. They have something to prove.

- GWS will be the easiest at Optus. They’re almost always weak when fresh off the road.

Ranking difficulty (hardest to easiest) (at Optus) IMO.
1. Collingwood
2. Bulldogs
3. Melbourne
4. Saints
5. GWS
Really?

I wouldn't have thought so.

No sure where to ask this, but can someone explain to me what Brandon Ah Chee's role is, and why he is getting a regular game?

I know theoretically he's supposed to be a big-bodied inside mid, who is creative with his handball, but it looks like he's really offering a whole lot of nothing on the regular at the moment:

He’s played forward all season.

Fair enough. Hard to see what he offers even in that role TBH.

Not a lot. But he’s benefitted from the absence of Rioli and Venables for the season and Cameron, Petruccelle, Jones and Cripps for long parts of it.

Not sure where to ask this, but can someone explain to me what Brandon Ah Chee's role is, and why he is getting a regular game?

View attachment 964640
What is the similar data for Veneable in 2018?
Also similar data for Cripps this year?
By comparing the data, it might tell us something.
To be honest, I find Ah Chee quite effective.
What is the Win/Loss data in 2020 when he is in the team?

What is the similar data for Veneable in 2018?

Pretty similar, but he was a 19-20 year old 2nd year high-ish draft pick at the time, rather than a mature-bodied veteran in his 9th year on an AFL list.

Also similar data for Cripps this year?

He's a proven performer, who is just underperforming. Even so, he's still offering more than Ah Chee appears to at the moment.

To be honest, I find Ah Chee quite effective.

At what, exactly?

What is the Win/Loss data in 2020 when he is in the team?

He appears to be a passenger in a good side.

It feels like the spot he's playing could be given to a younger player with more upside, to the same effect. I know Jarrod Cameron and Jack Petruccelle were a bit iffy when they've played this year, but you'd think they'd likely come good with similar faith shown.

Is Ah Chee just not good enough (or have a big enough tank) to rotate through the midfield?

Pretty similar, but he was a 19-20 year old 2nd year high-ish draft pick at the time, rather than a mature-bodied veteran in his 9th year on an AFL list.

He's a proven performer, who is just underperforming. Even so, he's still offering more than Ah Chee appears to at the moment.

At what, exactly?

It feels like the spot he's playing could be given to a younger player with more upside, to the same effect. I know Jarrod Cameron and Jack Petruccelle were a bit iffy when they've played this year, but you'd think they'd likely come good with similar faith shown.

Is Ah Chee just not good enough (or have a big enough tank) to rotate through the midfield?
I'm assuming the issue is more that we have had one glaring injury weakness all season (small forward), and so when another happened (midfield) the preference was to move guys from defence (where we have depth that is available and uninjured) rather than from the forwards (then end up playing Jetta or Brayshaw as permanent small forwards... neither have been anywhere near as good as ah chee in the times they have played that role this year - albeit from limited opportunities).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

At what, exactly?

Selection is based on ability and capability and not on colour of your skin or age.
Not convincing at all.

Port have their tails up, full of confidence and belief - be a mistake to think they'll have some mental weakness against us, probably itching to wreck our party as payback, and a good chance they could do that!
I can't see Melbourne beating us at Optus?
Tigers, Lions, Cats (when in good form), Pies - it's all a tough gig.
I like Diggler-Duggan as Yeo's replacement for finals..
Unsure about Jetts - he's as unpredictable as he is dangerous, but he is a finals/GF player.

Last edited:
Selection is based on ability and capability and not on colour of your skin or age.
Not convincing at all.

Not sure if you're not convinced by Ah Chee's continued selection, or what I said?

I never said anything about the colour of skin, I know that for sure.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if you're not convinced by Ah Chee's continued selection, or what I said.
Not sure if Cripps inclusion will see AhChee out, but his main problem is inconsistency-apart from being a necessity due to injuries. Cameron still has lingering fitness issues I think, Petch can be hot and cold and is out of form. Newbies like Reid, Brayshaw and Foley not suitable for big games...O'Neill has potential.

Not sure if Cripps inclusion will see AhChee out, but his main problem is inconsistency-apart from being a necessity due to injuries. Cameron still has lingering fitness issues I think, Petch can be hot and cold and is out of form. Newbies like Reid, Brayshaw and Foley not suitable for big games...O'Neill has potential.
Fair summary

No Rioli, Venables, Jones, Cripps (at the moment). Cameron and Petruccelle injured/out of touch for most of the year.

He's pretty enviable depth tbh.

Our forward line is tall because apart from Ryan and Cripps all the other small forwards we've tried this year have contributed zero output. We're better off with guys who deliver something, even if it means we are nominally too tall. At least it challenges other teams; do they try and match our height or do they go in "undersized" and try to run the ball out when it hits the ground.
Teams will select their best back 6 regardless, which naturally involves more runners than what our forward line has. This is even more pronounced in QLD night games where contested marking is difficult.

View attachment 964640

Yep he's not a world beater by any metric, but he's more experienced/has a cooler head than our other options in the role and is really good at doing those little things you don't get a stat for (maybe 1%ers which I'm surprised to see is so low, or pressure acts which isn't in there). Things like knocking the ball on to a teammate, impacting a contest even if he doesn't win it, going for the mark when he should and staying down for the hands when he should, getting in the way of his man to give Kennedy/Darling/Ryan a clearer run at it.

Small forward's a role where it's hard but so crucial to stay involved all game and he does those intangible things a lot more than our other healthy options (Petrucelle/Cameron) at this stage, despite those two in particular probably projecting to be better players in future years. You have huge patches of games where you don't notice them/they're not putting offensive or defensive pressure on/letting the team down with those little simple things at the moment, which is why I reckon Ah Chee holds his spot this year and hopefully can upgrade him with more effective players who also do the little things next year/in future.

(Doing those little things right was the difference between WAFL Liam Ryan and top 3 most important players to our AFL side Liam Ryan IMO, along with his growing confidence to stand up when we need him)

Started writing a post about how our potential opponents for an Elimination Final now reduced to Collingwood or Melbourne, depending on the outcome of Bulldogs v Freo. Then I realized Collingwood could still beat Port and get back up to sixth.

So our potential opponents are Bulldogs, Melbourne or Collingwood for an elimination final, or Port or Brisbane for a qualifying final.

Haha hahaha this is quite funny, Steele Sidebottom tried to come back for finals but QLD restrictions have tightened meaning he can't.

So 4 weeks ago when Victorian numbers were 200 plus a day, no problem come quarantine and in two weeks you can play. 21 cases today and no you can't.
Feels like they've got the granny locked in at the gabba, and shut it down! Oh what has Gil arrived yet? Wait until he and his entourage have arrived keep it open, then shut it down.

With a bye leading into the finals, AFL could've easily moved the whole comp to WA but didn't want to.
I'm a proud Victorian, but having the AFL grand final locked into the MCG for extra 30 years is a joke! It's a bias competition.

Jetta is the Trump card weapon we need to seriously challenge this finals campaign.

Play him in DEFENSE where he belongs, or don't play him at all. Leave Duggan up the ground if we have to.

Put your pride aside ffs Simpson.

IN : Shuey, Jetta, Redden, Cripps

OUT : Ainsworth, Foley, Williams, Petrucelle

Losing very little and gaining plenty with those changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back