Prediction Changes vs Collingwood 1st Elim Final @ Optus SATURDAY 3rd OCT 6.10PM WST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
OK, if you're going to spend two days writing a 2500-word rant in response to my fairly simple point, you'd better believe you're getting a Gunnar multiquote response.

It was a bit of a surprise, yes. Maybe he was scapegoated. So? Nelson came in and grabbed his chance with both hands. He's in career best form. So is Cole. And Duggan. And Rotham's barely put a foot wrong, and will probably win our Rookie of the Year, getting games into him is extremely valuable. So how does Jetta get back into the side

Is anyone actually arguing that dropping Jetta was the difference between winning and losing those games? You're arguing against yourself.

I didn't think we had a chance of winning a flag without Naitanui, Gaff and Sheppard, and I'm sure many people felt the same.

It's hardly a bizarre hiatus unless you continually refuse to acknowledge that there was no spot available in our backline. Nelson took his spot, then played more than well enough to keep it. Rotham came in for McGovern and played well enough to hold his spot. So Jetta, if for no other reason than he wasn't playing, dropped down to ninth in the pecking order for seven defensive spots. And he was next in line - he was an emergency for four straight weeks before his eventual recall. We tried playing eight defenders for a couple of games with Cole and Nelson rotating on a wing, but even then there's no room for Jetta.

Equally, it was hardly a "bizarre" move to bring him in as a forward given the lack of other options we had in that area at the time. People on here were calling for it for weeks before it happened. And it worked pretty well, he was a couple of missed shots away from a really good game against Essendon.

He's not in our best 22, for all of the reasons I've explained. I can't comment on the rumours. I do know that he didn't play the final two scratch matches in the first Qld hub after being dropped, for undisclosed reasons. Maybe he was on the nose. Maybe he threw the toys out of the cot. But it's hard to get your spot back if you're not even playing scratchies.

I don't know what you mean about Simpson and Co not acknowledging him in press conferences. I thought Simpson said a few times that he was in the mix.

The problem with statistics for defenders is that they don't tell the whole story. I'm sure Jetta's stats are equal or better than the other guys, because offensively he's better than them. But defensively he's not.

Probably. Again, no one is arguing that Jetta was the difference between winning and losing.

Brander was given further opportunities because spots opened up in the midfield and half-forward. He originally came in when Yeo was a late out. Then Waterman broke his hand. Then Cripps left the hub. Then Redden broke his thumb, etc etc. There was a spot available for him. There wasn't one in defence for Jetta (except the second half of the Bulldogs game, when he went back and played well. Then he did his calf). It's as simple as that. It's not about Simpson's ego.

Jetta's been a victim of circumstances, and one of those circumstances is that he got (probably harshly) dropped when we lost three in a row. Sure. But the other circumstances are that the players in his spot have stayed fit and in form. It's not about Simpson's ego, and it's misleading to suggest it is.

He may or may not come in for a final. We probably don't need the extra height of Rotham against either the Bulldogs or Collingwood, so a spot may open up there. But if he doesn't, it's not going to be because of Simpson's ego.
Thank christ there aint no gunnar on here anymore, otherwise the threads would take twice as long to read.
Can you do me a favour and never do that again Miguel. Fried my brain trying to read all that :tearsofjoy:

hudson2006

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2010
Kyoto
AFL Club
West Coast
If McGovern is close then we have to play him. Need to go all-in for an elimination final. And I'm coming around to Jetta back in if fit too, just reckon we'll benefit from his class and experience.

In: Shuey, Redden, Cripps, Jetta, McGovern
Out: Foley, Ainsworth, Petruccelle, Rotham, Williams

Cole Barrass Sheppard
Hurn McGovern Schofield
Gaff Redden Duggan
Cripps Darling Ah Chee
Allen Kennedy Ryan
Naitanui Shuey Kelly
Sheed Waterman Jetta Nelson
I like Rotham but I also like the aggression and contested edge that Schofield has brought the last couple of weeks. Allows us to bully them a bit, which is generally how finals work.

DanielKerr4

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2003
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Burnley FC
Thank christ there aint no gunnar on here anymore, otherwise the threads would take twice as long to read.
Can you do me a favour and never do that again Miguel. Fried my brain trying to read all that :tearsofjoy:

Are we 100% sure he hasn’t relocated to Victoria and is posting in the biased/incompetent thread but doesn’t actually want to post in the biased/incompetent thread...

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
You guys will win this. Counters every part of our game...

Our defence is supposed to be #1 and still leaks goals every 2 minutes against ur forward line.

Roughhead is supposed to be the best stoppers in the game, but still how conceded 5 goals against Kennedy, when he has held EVERY other forward to 1 goal or less (including Hawkins, Dixon etc)...

Our midfield is supposed to be competent around the ground but gets whipped by yours even when missing players.

Our forward has sucked and has continued to suck against you guys.
Not falling for that old reverse psychology compliment, you guys are very good on your day and you forgot to mention you've also got........"Degoey's in the goalsquare!!!"

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
You guys will win this. Counters every part of our game...

Our defence is supposed to be #1 and still leaks goals every 2 minutes against ur forward line.

Roughhead is supposed to be the best stoppers in the game, but still how conceded 5 goals against Kennedy, when he has held EVERY other forward to 1 goal or less (including Hawkins, Dixon etc)...

Our midfield is supposed to be competent around the ground but gets whipped by yours even when missing players.

Our forward has sucked and has continued to suck against you guys.
we dont have much of a midfield atm

see where we are at in two weeks

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
This is not any given year where teams like West Coast get a tremendous advantage during the home and away and then forfeit that for an MCG grand final disadvantage.

These people are really out there, amongst us
im still waiting for someone to tell me how we get this massive h and a advantage when half our games are interstate

if the assumption is made that hosting an team thats flown in means an automatic win then the corollary must also be true and its an automatic loss when we fly interstate

unless the assertion is that flying from the east to the west to play is harder than flying from west to east to play.

the fact is - our flag year - 2018 we won seven at home against fly ins, two against the purples for a total of 9 - not even close to playing finals.

the remaining matches we won interstate - 7 of them.

am i missing something?

As much as having 5 guys come in at once is great - it's a lot to expect them to just "click" back in.

I don't reckon Gov makes it either FWIW.

I reckon we will go

Cripps, Shuey, Hutch, Redden for
Williams, Petch, Foley, Ah Chee

Personally I'd also do Jetta for Ainsworth and play him forward.

For some reason the club is loving ainsworth - but i don't think you can play him and hutch together - they play the same shutdown role without much damage.

Also think Duggan should stay in the midfield for the rest of this year - we need mongrel now that Yeo is out - and we have enough in-form defenders anyway.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
As much as having 5 guys come in at once is great - it's a lot to expect them to just "click" back in.

I reckon we will go

For some reason the club is loving ainsworth - but i don't think you can play him and hutch together - they play the same shutdown role without much damage.

Also think Duggan should stay in the midfield for the rest of this year - we need mongrel now that Yeo is out - and we have enough in-form defenders anyway.
One of the master strokes of the 2018 finals was moving Sheed inside and redden to more of an outside role. Think something like that is needed. Maybe with Duggan going into the middle, it allows Kelly to go up forward. Not only does he have a great goal sense and has the ability to have scoreboard impact but he’ll improve our ball movement into attacking 50.

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
But we never go past week 2? Can we change it ?

On CPH1921 using BigFooty.com mobile app
The pies will be a tough opponent but we're on the right side of the draw as far as I'm concerned. If we win next week we'll play either the weakest team in the top 4 (Geelong) at a neutral ground (GABBA) or we'll play Port Adelaide at a ground we typically play well at (Adelaide Oval).

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
The pies will be a tough opponent but we're on the right side of the draw as far as I'm concerned. If we win next week we'll play either the weakest team in the top 4 (Geelong) at a neutral ground (GABBA) or we'll play Port Adelaide at a ground we typically play well at (Adelaide Oval).
If we win I reckon we'll be playing Port.
I think after Richmond, Geelong are the 2nd best side in it.

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
If we win I reckon we'll be playing Port.
I think after Richmond, Geelong are the 2nd best side in it.
A couple months ago I had a weird dream that we played Port in an Adelaide Oval GF and were flogged by several goals. Part of me hopes its not a premonition as we were humiliated but part of me hopes its true as deep down I'd be proud if we made the grand final from 5th.

Fatty rules

Team Captain
Feb 16, 2008
Brussels
AFL Club
West Coast
im still waiting for someone to tell me how we get this massive h and a advantage when half our games are interstate

if the assumption is made that hosting an team thats flown in means an automatic win then the corollary must also be true and its an automatic loss when we fly interstate

unless the assertion is that flying from the east to the west to play is harder than flying from west to east to play.

the fact is - our flag year - 2018 we won seven at home against fly ins, two against the purples for a total of 9 - not even close to playing finals.

am i missing something?
The jetlag effect from west to east is always worse than east to west. That's what the science says and I know it personally from way too many flights. That, combined with changing time zones way more often than eastern clubs, is a built-in disadvantage.

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
As much as it's bad for us and our preparation if we succeed to semi finals on a side note I don't mind being last match. Get to watch other finals before the stress of our match. It's good for us spectators but horrible for the players short break into semi.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

I reckon we will go

Hutch has pinged his hammy too many times in games for me, he's the risky one. Plus with no Sidebottom I don't really see a role for him.

I reckon Gov gets up for it now. Vozzo sounded really positive in the injury report, and it would've been 24 days since he did it by the time we play.

In terms of "clicking" most these guys have only missed a game or two and are super experienced. Reddens had a hand injury and Cripps wasn't even injured so neither would've lost any conditioning, the rest from games probably works as a positive for them.

I'd go

In: Gov, Shuey, Redden, Cripps, Jetta
Out: Rotham, Ainsworth, Foley, Petch, Williams

Hurn Barrass Schofield
Shep Gov Cole
Gaff Redden Sheed
Waterman Darling Cripps
Ryan JK Ah Chee

NN Shuey Kelly

Duggan Nelson Allen Jetta

Jetta the real "risky" one, but I think his experience and class is too valuable in finals. If they want someone to play a role on a Crisp/Maynard he probably makes way and Ainsworth stays.

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

am i missing something?
It’s groups of people like these Victorian posters that give us the need to have DO NOT EAT warning labels on household cleaning products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back