Prediction Changes vs Collingwood 1st Elim Final @ Optus SATURDAY 3rd OCT 6.10PM WST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
So...it’s pretty much all hands on deck with the exception of Yeo.

Pretty good outcome all things considered.

Throw the kitchen sink at the them I think - play our most experienced team and get them all to look Nic/Gaffy/Shep in the eye for a solid hour before the game.

Cole Barrass Sheppard
Hurn McGovern Jetta
Duggan Sheed Gaff
Cripps Darling Ryan
Waterman Kennedy Ah Chee

Naitanui, Shuey, Kelly

Redden, Allen, Nelson, Schofield

Hutchings next one in - play him if they want to tag and take out Jetta.

Average age is about 38, with an average of about 265 games experience and 4.3 kids at home but jeez it looks good on paper.

^^

Can't see Jetta playing in the backline.

We already have a glutton of backs in form - no way he pushes any of them out without fitness or form.

He's more than likely competing for a forward spot - he looked rusty - but got himself plenty of looks at goal.

Think he's a better option than Petch/Cameron/Reid/Ainsworth/Foley et al

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
As much as i would love to see Duggan play onball/wing, its vital he return to the backline this weekend.

We need his pace. With the exception of Shepherd, our back 6 looks very, very slow without Duggan, and their small/mid sized forwards will rip us to shreds

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
As much as i would love to see Duggan play onball/wing, its vital he return to the backline this weekend.

We need his pace. With the exception of Shepherd, our back 6 looks very, very slow without Duggan, and their small/mid sized forwards will rip us to shreds
EADA06B9-1C89-4E77-AC38-FC0F3AAB147F.jpeg

Yippy Yi Yeo

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Cole and schoey are pretty quick i wouldve thought

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
^^

Can't see Jetta playing in the backline.

We already have a glutton of backs in form - no way he pushes any of them out without fitness or form.

He's more than likely competing for a forward spot - he looked rusty - but got himself plenty of looks at goal.

Think he's a better option than Petch/Cameron/Reid/Ainsworth/Foley et al

Get him in there.

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
If Jetta does his calf halfway through the first quarter we're down a rotation. He cant be trusted at this point of the season. Neither can Hutchings.

Keep what we have going. Take the risk and give Gov an extra week to heal even if he is mostly fit next Saturday. We need everything to go right from here.
Jetta has dicky calves yes but I can’t ever recall him doing it mid game and having to sit on the pine making us down a rotation. He did it in the GF but played out the game, same with the Bulldogs game this year. Seems like he has an ability to play through it and then be out for the next week so I don’t have any worries with him playing.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
With this approximate team - minus Yeo, Rioli, Lecca, Venables, Vardy- would it be a stronger team fielded than our 2018 GF team against Pies?
Who is in since then - Allen, Waterman, AhChee, Gaff, NN, Sheppard, Kelly..can't recall if Nelson and Duggan played then?
Yeo out is huge, but Gaff, NicNat, Shep and Kelly in's more than offset that. Rioli and Lecca are pretty big outs, particularly Rioli, but Ryan has stepped up massively in that role. Overall the in's are stronger than the out's.

Looking at players remaining and comparing their form in 2018 to now:
-'s Hurn and Kennedy who are just good players now rather than being absolute elite for their respective positions and top 20 (maybe even top 10) in the competition overall as they were in 2018.
= (maybe, hard one to judge) Darling was a beast pre injury in 2018. Still good but not performing to that level in 2020. But post injury 2018 was no more than good (GF 3rd quarter aside when he rediscovered beast mode) so there's no reason to think he can't replicate that form in this finals series. Where it's tricky to judge is in 2018 even when he came back from injury not regularly pulling down 10 marks a game he still had an aura about him which rubs off on his teammates and negatively effects the opposition defence - that aura has faded now.
+ Duggan has gone from decent defender to good second string midfielder.
+ Ryan has gone from decent (but inconsistent) to one of the best small forwards in the game, maybe even the best small forward.

The remaining players are probably all at roughly the same level, give or take a bit here and there.

I think as a group of individuals we are stronger, but as a team we are slightly weaker and the team aspect is obviously super important. Compared to 2018 it feels like we lack overall team hunger, our consistency of effort isn't so strong, there's also been a clear inability to adapt to the situation and conditions that have presented whilst our game plan has become very predictable and struggles when the opposition pressure gets too high. The good news on this front - for mine anyway - is that finals have certainly acted as a bit of a circuit breaker for teams in the past and we wouldn't be the first team to meander into the finals only to end the malaise when they start up.

We're still in it and that's what matters most. Given the circumstances of this year, playing 10 H&A games in a state where we've under performed over recent years, and having to win 4 finals on the trot, if we can come home with the 2020 flag I couldn't envision a scenario in which we'd ever top that flag.

Lets see it again!!

Screenshot from 2020-09-23 15-41-12.png

Last edited:

Fatty rules

Team Captain
Feb 16, 2008
Brussels
AFL Club
West Coast
Good post Kranky!
There could be a disadvantage flying east depending on the times.
On a side note I recall flying east on business trips in the late 80's/90's, either to Sydney or Melbourne and I swear it used take me a day to recover after the flight going that way. But flying back west was never a problem. Something to do with the sun and time (going back to the future?). Mind you being a red eye special/late night flight going east didn't help..
Rule of thumb is one day recovery per hour of time difference, with west-east being much worse than east-west. Of all the things I miss with this f"cking pandemic, jet lag is one thing I don't miss. I don't like the video conferences much but at least I know what day it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Rule of thumb is one day recovery per hour of time difference, with west-east being much worse than east-west. Of all the things I miss with this f"cking pandemic, jet lag is one thing I don't miss. I don't like the video conferences much but at least I know what day it is.
Daylight saving about to come in (for the free world), 3 hours is tougher than 2.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Kitchen sink already a more natural footballer than Petch
Agree, kitchen sink been wallowing in wafl for too long now. This is his chance to break on through and kichen sink could be that big bodied midfielder/forward we've been waiting on for so long. Kitchen sink a future leader methinks, definitely AA material!

MaxHunt

Premiership Player
Jun 2, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Charlton FC
Although the Eagles game style suits Optus i'd like to see a more direct play up the middle. It will be needed if they get past the Pies.

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

There is comprehensive studies done on this for the benefit of American sporting sides. I have read through quite a few and I will see if I can dig one out but from what I remember what you are saying is right. Flying west to east is far worse with regards to recovery and then playing games in the afternoon was generally going to result in a loss as the body clock had not adjusted, which makes our four premierships all the more meritorious.

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
Jetta has dicky calves yes but I can’t ever recall him doing it mid game and having to sit on the pine making us down a rotation. He did it in the GF but played out the game, same with the Bulldogs game this year. Seems like he has an ability to play through it and then be out for the next week so I don’t have any worries with him playing.
He carried on OK against the Bulldogs but in the GF he may as well have been put on ice - something like 2 touches for the entire second half.

Like his kicking, Jetta is high risk, high reward. He could come in and completely change our dynamic during the finals and set us up on a big run. Or he could play lazy/give up goals/get injured/cost a younger player finals experience.

It's probably going to come down to our opponents and how he matches up. It's a tough one for the MC.

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
He carried on OK against the Bulldogs but in the GF he may as well have been put on ice - something like 2 touches for the entire second half.

Like his kicking, Jetta is high risk, high reward. He could come in and completely change our dynamic during the finals and set us up on a big run. Or he could play lazy/give up goals/get injured/cost a younger player finals experience.

It's probably going to come down to our opponents and how he matches up. It's a tough one for the MC.

Ben Cousins hardly touched the ball in the second half of the 2006 grand final and dropped a simple chest mark to top it off. Funny, how no one ever mentions that.

Apr 8, 2016
Vietnam
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Problem with Jetta is he will come in as a forward which is pointless.
Even if he came in as a forward, I thought he looked better in terms of opportunities created (albeit missed everything), than the other forward options (most specifically Petch). Would love JJ fit though but they may be reluctant to give him a game after so long out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back