Preview Changes vs Collingwood, Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can be 100 percent certain Ainsworth is in. The parts of the game that infuriated Simmo and co is what they consider Ainsworths strength which is defensive positioning and running

Do they rate clean hands off the deck, and generally being able to pick up the ball?

It's a lot easier to 'cover the cracks' around defensive running and also our defensive pressure when we have the ball (and we had plenty of opportunity under little pressure late in the game, then fumbled and then were under immense pressure).

Also, any chance of sending word the other way (as obviously you get at least some info from the club) that they should spend a few minutes on handballing this week - along with kicking. For a 'simple skill' we sure make it look bloody difficult to hit a target by hand.

The part that infuriated me was the complete lack of composure under pressure, I’m not sure Ainsworth helps in that regard.

Nor will Trew or O'Neill.

This is 100% on the senior players from 2018 happy to retire as one-off premiership players.

Do they rate clean hands off the deck, and generally being able to pick up the ball?

It's a lot easier to 'cover the cracks' around defensive running and also our defensive pressure when we have the ball (and we had plenty of opportunity under little pressure late in the game, then fumbled and then were under immense pressure).

Also, any chance of sending word the other way (as obviously you get at least some info from the club) that they should spend a few minutes on handballing this week - along with kicking. For a 'simple skill' we sure make it look bloody difficult to hit a target by hand.

You want Ainsworth in traffic with clean hands off the deck? Doing that takes that responsibility away from someone who is actually good at it. If we said to every player "go win the ball off the deck" whats gonna happen when we lose? We will get smashed on the outside. Some players need to hold a position in the zone and stick to it. Its clear as day players didnt do that on the weekend. The ease which St Kilda spread was embarrassing

Its a lot easier to say everyone should play like Tim Kelly then it is to work in practice really. You need players to stick to a role so a guy like Tim Kelly can go do what he is good at

In regards to simple skills, skills decline when you tire and run out of energy. Thats the problem to fix here. We like to build into the season more than most other teams. The unexpected part of this loss really was our clearance situation and inability to compete once we lost it. Guys like Ainsowrth will hopefully help to fix that lack of competitiveness on the defensive side of the contest

Nor will Trew or O'Neill.

This is 100% on the senior players from 2018 happy to retire as one-off premiership players.

Rubbish really. If that was the issue, the bundle would be dropped on a much more consistent basis then 1 and a half quarters of football in a 1 month period. The fundamental issue really is personnel. If you dont think our 2018 was more talented then out 2021 team last week you are nuts.

Ainsworth quoted as saying will need another few good games likely before being considered for an AFL call up , but praised the form and improvement of Luke Foley .

Reckon the club rating Foley a big chance !!

Different players altogether playing different positions. Id like to think and expect there is more then 1 change. Ainsworth is one of the hardest working players at our club. Him thinking otherwise would be a true shock.

OUT: Hurn, Waterman, Jones, Winder
IN: Witherden, Williams, O'Neill, and one of Ainsworth/Foley to be sub

No change in height, but we will get extra run in the mids by:
- getting rid of a small forward for a mid; and
- Allen staying forward means the likes of Cripps and Ryan can push up a bit.

Was it just me or was Petruccelle playing closer to goal on the weekend? Whatever we/he did, do it again plz.

If you dont think our 2018 was more talented then out 2021 team last week you are nuts.
I’m not sure that’s true.

Changes from the 2018 GF:
Naitanui and Allen —> Lycett and Vardy
Kelly and Gaff —> Shuey and Yeo
Sheppard and Rotham —> Schofield and Jetta
Nelson —> Hutchings
Brander —> Masten
Waterman —> LeCras
Petruccelle and Jones —> Rioli and Venables

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not sure that’s true.

Changes from the 2018 GF:
Naitanui and Allen —> Lycett and Vardy
Kelly and Gaff —> Shuey and Yeo
Sheppard and Rotham —> Schofield and Jetta
Nelson —> Hutchings
Brander —> Masten
Waterman —> LeCras
Petruccelle and Jones —> Rioli and Venables

Discussion for another thead perhaps but Id go

Naitanui > Lycett
Allen > Vardy
Kelly < Shuey
Gaff < Yeo
Sheppard
> Jetta
Rotham < Schofield
Nelson < Hutchings
Brander < Masten
Waterman < LeCras
Jones < Venables
Petrucelle < Rioli

You want Ainsworth in traffic with clean hands off the deck? Doing that takes that responsibility away from someone who is actually good at it. If we said to every player "go win the ball off the deck" whats gonna happen when we lose? We will get smashed on the outside. Some players need to hold a position in the zone and stick to it. Its clear as day players didnt do that on the weekend. The ease which St Kilda spread was embarrassing

Its a lot easier to say everyone should play like Tim Kelly then it is to work in practice really. You need players to stick to a role so a guy like Tim Kelly can go do what he is good at

In regards to simple skills, skills decline when you tire and run out of energy. Thats the problem to fix here. We like to build into the season more than most other teams. The unexpected part of this loss really was our clearance situation and inability to compete once we lost it. Guys like Ainsowrth will hopefully help to fix that lack of competitiveness on the defensive side of the contest

TBF, based on the weekend (and I know it is reactionary and only after 1 bad loss) but I would 100% prefer Ainsworth as the distributor compared to what we were getting from 3rd qtr onwards from both Cripps and Kelly in the midfield.

Cripps is well known (and much maligned, often unfairly considering the other things he brings to the table) for being average-poor at collecting the ground ball (especially under pressure). If we're turning to him as the back-up-mid then yes I think Ainsworth might be a better option.

That said, there are plenty of other options that would be preferred (Xon, Ryan - who was clearly carrying something on the weekend, Brander as an inside mid, Trew even).

It's no surprise that the pressure meter (that Fox Footy love so much) goes into 'elite' when teams fumble an uncontested or mildly contested situation - there is no time for that at AFL level and just leads to a heavily contested situation.

Itd actually be quite concerning and worrying if Ainsworth isnt picked. Would really show little faith in our game plan as a whole and sticking to it

Id rather Ainsworth play and we continue on our path, then him not and dropping our bundles with a huge overreaction

Who do you see him coming in for?

Foley would be worthy of a call up given his form with the Beagles, but would lol in the thug Witherden’s direction if he’s moved clubs/across the country to get games only to fall behind Foley in the pecking order.

Yeah Ryan has being very average and a little to cocky for me.

Last year he started the year similar but turned it on in the last half working his way up the ground the ground using his disposal to hit up forwards.

He cant rely on 1 great mark and a goal or so a game and not much else.

Are we playing too many small forward in Ryan, Crisps, Jones and Petch? We need at least one or two spending time up the ground and rotating into the midfield.

Rather we used a mid in place of one of them.

Who do you see him coming in for?

Its a guess btw but id say Jarmaine Jones. If the idea is to push a HFF into the midfield instead of Cripps, Ainsworth is the person. Ainsworth can lock down on that sook Maynard when up forward and then push into the midfield to cover Crisp for example if he gets away from us too.

Issue was Cripps hunts the ball in the midfield and its not a good thing either. Kelly/Gaff/Sheed need to hunt, not Cripps

Its a guess btw but id say Jarmaine Jones. If the idea is to push a HFF into the midfield instead of Cripps, Ainsworth is the person. Ainsworth can lock down on that sook Maynard when up forward and then push into the midfield to cover Crisp for example if he gets away from us too.

Issue was Cripps hunts the ball in the midfield and its not a good thing either. Kelly/Gaff/Sheed need to hunt, not Cripps

Fair call. I had Langdon coming in for Jones but I’m not convinced on Langdon. Ainsworth has played forward/HHF before and it would give us a better balance if we did need to push someone up into the midfield.

Fair call. I had Langdon coming in for Jones but I’m not convinced on Langdon. Ainsworth has played forward/HHF before and it would give us a better balance if we did need to push someone up into the midfield.

Langdon is still too slight for the role we want him for. He needs a year in the gym. I wouldnt give up yet because he hasnt had a fair crack yet. Best thing to do would be to give him 8 weeks in the WAFL untouched and get him to build his core strength more and more as the year drags on

Can be 100 percent certain Ainsworth is in. The parts of the game that infuriated Simmo and co is what they consider Ainsworths strength which is defensive positioning and running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back