Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
XON was NOT sick last week. Repeat... WAS NOT SICK!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Oh wow so we really did replace Shuey with Waterman, played a sick Sheed and debuted a small forward as sub off one decent WAFL game instead of having a genuine mid as insurance for all of the above?

May as well have sent Mitch Brown to the forward pocket.

Last edited:

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Um a lot of people his height would love to be his size. I never thought his size was an issue and I feel more time in the weights room would make him even slower.

Horrible leg definition. Comically bad when he came to the club actually. A good reason GWS players constantly have leg injuries lets just say. He was always getting leg injuries himself. I think you are looking at the top half of his body and assuming he is a bull because he has decent pecs? That part of his body is fine, its the rest that is off what it needs to be

Its not based on 40 minutes of bad football though.

Its based on watching similar sides struggle for years when we play too tall and put players into positions they are not comfortable playing simply because they are a higher rated tall than the other guy who is actually better in the role needed. He just doesn't have the reputation of the tall.

Its like putting a sprint horse in the Melbourne Cup and wondering why it ran out of legs and finishes last. The horse is a champion over short distances and a dud when asked to do something it isn't developed or trained to do.

I get what you mean, but the truth is the coaches think the sprint horse can run the Melbourne Cup and truly believe it. You are seeing it as a square peg in a round hole. To them its a round peg in a round hole still. This concept is why we are not going to get the answer you are suggesting in Round 5 for example. Coaches will have too do a bit more learning the hard way I suppose before what you are saying is going to happen. Im not saying you are wrong at all. Actually making a sound argument and im not disagreeing with it. Im just saying, thats not how we are thinking is all

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Horrible leg definition. Comically bad when he came to the club actually. A good reason GWS players constantly have leg injuries lets just say. He was always getting leg injuries himself. I think you are looking at the top half of his body and assuming he is a bull because he has decent pecs? That part of his body is fine, its the rest that is off what it needs to be

I get what you mean, but the truth is the coaches think the sprint horse can run the Melbourne Cup and truly believe it. You are seeing it as a square peg in a round hole. To them its a round peg in a round hole still. This concept is why we are not going to get the answer you are suggesting in Round 5 for example. Coaches will have too do a bit more learning the hard way I suppose before what you are saying is going to happen. Im not saying you are wrong at all. Actually making a sound argument and im not disagreeing with it. Im just saying, thats not how we are thinking is all

Yep. Whats the definition of insanity? Do the same things over and over and expect a different result.

When injury hits our talls and the selection committee are forced into not playing so many talls we often come good. We look more balanced and run the game out.

That just indicates the selection committee are not learning from past mistakes. So who's job is it to fix that?

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Seriously, think about it. Is there any GWS player who doesnt have constant leg injuries, even past who are no longer there

Treloar, Shiel, Ward, Coniglio, Kelly, Patton, Cameron, Greene, Kennedy, Smith, Adams. List goes on and on. Langdons another. Its pretty well established that once you gotta get the GWS out of a player when you get him and Langdons no different

Yep. Whats the definition of insanity? Do the same things over and over and expect a different result.

When injury hits our talls and the selection committee are forced into not playing so many talls we often come good. We look more balanced and run the game out.

That just indicates the selection committee are not learning from past mistakes. So who's job is it to fix that?

Need someone on the inside to put poison in the grange.

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Playing a sick Sheed is this year's continuing to play Shuey after he tore one hammy and watching him tear the other.

Reminds me of the mid-2000s:

Woosh: You on drugs Cuz?
Cuz: Nope
Woosh: Good boy *ruffles hair*
He was so hilariously oblivious, something I loved about Woosha. One of my all time favourite quotes was when he was asked about Eagles supporters booing Jobe Watson in 2013.

"What's your opinion on the booing aimed at Jobe Watson?"
"... I didn't hear any booing."

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
He was so hilariously oblivious, something I loved about Woosha. One of my all time favourite quotes was when he was asked about Eagles supporters booing Jobe Watson in 2013.

"What's your opinion on the booing aimed at Jobe Watson?"
"... I didn't hear any booing."

At the tribunal as a West Coast character reference:

Panel - "So which is your favourite club?"

Woosh (deadpan) - "Crows"

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Its not based on 40 minutes of bad football though.

Its based on watching Eagles sides struggle for years when we play too tall and put players into positions they are not comfortable playing simply because they are a higher rated tall than the other guy who is actually better in the role needed. He just doesn't have the reputation of the tall.

Its like putting a sprint horse in the Melbourne Cup and wondering why it ran out of legs and finishes last. The horse is a champion over short distances and a dud when asked to do something it isn't developed or trained to do.

This.

I seriously thought the club had finally realised the errors of their ways in 2018 with like for like replacements. No longer trying to play all of Cox, Nic Nat and Lycett in the one team just because they were good players. Look at the Grand Final team. Waterman played the majority of that season but didn't play in the finals. He made us too tall. We seemed to recognise the ideal team balance then and have reverted to dumb calls like replacing Shuey with Waterman.

And I rate Waterman. But I'm not playing him AND Brander AND Allen AND whoever if it affects team balance. Especially underdone.

It's pigheaded stupidity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny as this was the genuinely the line going through my head after McGovern kicked it to the right HBF for the fifth time in a row in the space of 5 minutes on Saturday.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
You just know it’s going to be:

In: Vardy, Ainsworth, Witherden
Out: Hurn, Jones, Waterman/Allen

They’ll be spooked by Grundy and will want two rucks, and will bring in Ainsworth for his 36 touches and to make it look like they’re playing the youf
Still sticking by this although maybe switch Foldey with Witherden if he’s hurt

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Not sure bout that. His legs seems and proportionate to the rest of his body.
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 3.49.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 3.48.58 PM.png

Im not seeing that at all. His upper half is Jack Darling and lower half is Luke Shuey. It’s a bodybuilders body not a footballers

You need your eyes checked.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
wqa wide selection of opinions. Of the two wins we lost a few quarters. In the two losses we had experienced forwards choke under pressure at key moments, experienced defenders choke and miss kick under pressure costing soft goals and experienced defenders panic hand out soft frees in front of goals. We choked.

Sure we have aour best mnids out, but hell we have a lot of skillful players that dont seem to thrive on a contest. Not sure that can change within a person?

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Waterman played out of position and with Winder as sub we were forward heavy. Waterman is still starting 6 forward in my books and is quite mobile so a high half forward like a Tom Lynch roll.

JK would be retiring end of this season. So we have our 3 forward 'talls' covered for next year in Darling, Allen and Waterman with Williams also rotating through.
At least that gives Waterman some starting 22 security for next season if he is not a lock this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back