Preview Changes vs Collingwood, Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not if we beat the Cats the following week.

3-3 into the derby isn't catastrophic by any stretch. I am very much of the opinion that the way we lose is the telling part of it though. When the side shows it isn't up for any kind of fight and would rather roll over when the going gets tough you know that irrespective of where we finish we are most likely just making up numbers.

We should, quite reasonably, be sitting at 4-0 but instead we are at 2-2 with both our losses coming off the back of lazy mistakes and an inability to lift when the opposition lift their rating.

Given our last two seasons this should have all sorts of alarm bells ringing in the coaching box.

You need your eyes checked.

Shueys legs are tanks, but his body isn’t Jack Darlings is my point. I’m discussing proportions.

You are looking at the wrong things id say. Case in point, is a athlete like Steph Curry if he joined Eagles would own all our weightlifting records based on what he benches with Golden State

Frasier Gehrig aside, Scott Selwood was our strongest player ever strength wise during all those prime years and by some margin too also.

3-3 into the derby isn't catastrophic by any stretch. I am very much of the opinion that the way we lose is the telling part of it though. When the side shows it isn't up for any kind of fight and would rather roll over when the going gets tough you know that irrespective of where we finish we are most likely just making up numbers.

We should, quite reasonably, be sitting at 4-0 but instead we are at 2-2 with both our losses coming off the back of lazy mistakes and an inability to lift when the opposition lift their rating.

Given our last two seasons this should have all sorts of alarm bells ringing in the coaching box.

4-2 coming into the Derby looked realistic. Now if we want to achieve that we'll be doing it the hard way.

So we probably only have 1 forced change and that is Hurn out. Where to now?

We have our 2 inside mids unavailable in Shuey and Yeo and they will be out for some time. I would stop flucking around with mismatches and make shift midfields. Neither Gaff, Duggan, Kelly, Sheed

Gaff has been poor without grunt on the inside at stoppages. He receives the ball so we need players to get it to him.

As a half forward, it is Brander or Waterman. MC - make your mind up. For my mind, Brander to be given 3rd tall in defence in the absence of Hurn. Waterman is OK but I could easily drop him due to being out of touch but he will likely be better for the run. Winder was OK but not enough pressure against the Pies running half backs.

Brander Barrass Cole
Sheppard Gov Duggan
Gaff Redden Sheed
Ryan Darling Waterman
Allen JK Petruccelli

NicNat Kelly O'Neil

Int Nelson (use as a midfielder or tagger), Rotham, Trew (debutant), Jones

Only 1 of Sheed or Gaff in for a centre clearance. Both in are a liability.

I would rather drop the game to see what our future is like and run the risk of missing the 8 rather than to keep the same team week in and finish 5-8 only to drop out of the finals in week 1.

No way it will happen but Cripps has been out of form since 2019. Time to find some form in the WAFL

In Trew, O'Neill
Out Hurn, Cripps

Any idea why we don't use Rotham to kick out? Very good kick but we tend to use Nelson and Gov who are bother average kicks
Because Gov and Nelson both follow instructions and kick out long to the right hand flank, without fail. No chance of kicking to an open target so no risk of a quick turnover and no chance for a quick exit out of defence and open up our forward line.

Cant kick it far enough. Nelson only takes it when he sees space to run into really
Can you tell me what happened to Duggans kicking? During his draft year his kicking ad decision making was highly rated. In his first season he broke on to the season and his kicking on his dominant and no dominant really shone through, however, it was never to be seen afterward. I love Duggo but his kicking does me in now and I'm pretty devo how that part of his game dropped away.

Before people think Ainsworth would be a good option because of his 37 disposals in the WAFL, don't forget he only had 1 tackle. I would put it to you that we do not need another outside midfielder calling out for a possession.
Remember when he made Polec look like Dusty?

Before people think Ainsworth would be a good option because of his 37 disposals in the WAFL, don't forget he only had 1 tackle. I would put it to you that we do not need another outside midfielder calling out for a possession.

Its why he would come in at HF primarily to rotate into the midfield. He was using his smarts and spacing to get onto the second possession chain. Something ideally Cripps would have done last week as opposed to barrel into the contest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you tell me what happened to Duggans kicking? During his draft year his kicking ad decision making was highly rated. In his first season he broke on to the season and his kicking on his dominant and no dominant really shone through, however, it was never to be seen afterward. I love Duggo but his kicking does me in now and I'm pretty devo how that part of his game dropped away.

He actually has really bad hamstring soreness for the most part. Unlike Shuey it’s just managed well. His body isn’t as good as his games tally suggests really. Always has a niggle or two that he gets through. This last pre season was his best ever as far as no injuries etc, likely thanks to the shorter season overall

No longer our best player 😢

He actually has really bad hamstring soreness for the most part. Unlike Shuey it’s just managed well. His body isn’t as good as his games tally suggests really. Always has a niggle or two that he gets through. This last pre season was his best ever as far as no injuries etc, likely thanks to the shorter season overall
Like yeah I can understand that affecting his game/kicking a bit but Gaff is notorious for making career out of playing with niggles/injuries/soreness on a weekly basis.

Its why he would come in at HF primarily to rotate into the midfield. He was using his smarts and spacing to get onto the second possession chain. Something ideally Cripps would have done last week as opposed to barrel into the contest
Not that useful when we have nobody in place to get into to the outside receiver

Agree Cripps needs to be dropped. He plays 1 great game then 4-5 sub par in a row. He is so much better than that it’s frustrating.
Gerard Healy called him out tonight On the Couch for poor chasing efforts when the Saints started lifting the intensity on Saturday.

Should seriously be on thin ice selection wise but he’s got all those credits in the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back