Preview Changes vs Collingwood, Rd 5, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Doubt langdon gets named. Maybe we move on....

Is watermelon getting a game this week?

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Like sending Shuey back on to the ground with hamstring issues only for him to...surprise, surprise...do his hamstring?

Our one to GWS 100 at this stage you will fine

No idea why our medical staff is getting so reamed for lately. We are in the bottom 6 for games lost year in year out for a reason despite the fact we play on the worst surface

I mean compare us to Fremantle and have a think about it guys

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Our one to GWS 100 at this stage you will fine

No idea why our medical staff is getting so reamed for lately. We are in the bottom 6 for games lost year in year out for a reason despite the fact we play on the worst surface

I mean compare us to Fremantle and have a think about it guys
I mean it's not exactly a high benchmark is it?

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Can Joel embhid or however you spell it spend time fwd when not rucking? And what's his balldrop like?

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Who handles mason cox? Barass? Too soon?

CoastersFlag No.5

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2007
Not in Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Jones hasn't been great last few weeks since he kicked 3 goals. Still Langdon hasn't kicked a goal yet for us. Wonder if Jarrod Cameron can get some form in the WAFL and put some pressure on the seniors.

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Drop crippa for beach weights I reckon. Crippa has been hungry AF for goals at the detriment of the team and isn't pressuring like he used to.

Plus he kicks into the man on the mark and is giving me the shits in general.

Anyone with good symmetry really
images.jpeg-1.jpg

Lance witnell?

The club has been prioritising endurance for a long time now in my view. Which is fine but it means we get exposed for grunt at time as we have a list that on average is less explosive and tends to come off second best in physical contests against their peers.

When the game is played on our terms we look a million bucks but if we get forced into a reactive and defensive position we can look absolutely horrible. It's been an ongoing problem that our transition can get completely shut down and spend large portions of the game looking like fish in a barrel. Our amazing forwards are irrelevant when we can't take the ball out of our defensive half and can't win a clean possession.

Sometimes we seem to be up for the physical challenges but there's no consistency about it. Must drive Simmo mad.

Who handles mason cox? Barass? Too soon?

He absolutely buried Charlie Dixon after having his colours lowered in past clashes between them. I reckon he’ll be licking his lips for a rematch with Cox.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Drop crippa for beach weights I reckon. Crippa has been hungry AF for goals at the detriment of the team and isn't pressuring like he used to.

Plus he kicks into the man on the mark and is giving me the shits in general.

Anyone with good symmetry really
View attachment 1101163
Lance witnell?

Is that Lecra after 2018?

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
The club has been prioritising endurance for a long time now in my view. Which is fine but it means we get exposed for grunt at time as we have a list that on average is less explosive and tends to come off second best in physical contests against their peers.

When the game is played on our terms we look a million bucks but if we get forced into a reactive and defensive position we can look absolutely horrible. It's been an ongoing problem that our transition can get completely shut down and spend large portions of the game looking like fish in a barrel. Our amazing forwards are irrelevant when we can't take the ball out of our defensive half and can't win a clean possession.

Sometimes we seem to be up for the physical challenges but there's no consistency about it. Must drive Simmo mad.
We just seem to lack competitiveness.... and I don't know why.

Sometimes I think the boys stand around waiting for nata to do something. The bloke can't constantly do the heavy lifting.

Down hill skiers, flat track bullies and passengers are a plenty in our team.

Honestly makes me sad. We need to draft a beau waters type. Someone that makes the team stand taller.

I don't know, but it seems all mental with this team. And we have the talent. Really frustrating. Rant over.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Out: Hurn (inj), Waterman, Jones, Cripps
In: Witherden, Langdon, XON, Trew
Sub: Winder - we did say we weren't going to play someone as sub two weeks in a row, but he essentially played a full game anyway.

Two additional midfielders in the team this week (although only one additional in comparison to the Port game)... Should give us more run and get some more games into XON and give Trew his first run. We don't need 7 KPP + Brander + Rotham playing non-KPP roles. Unfortunately that leaves Waterman in the cold. I think we all like Jake, but it's a struggle to fit him into this team structure. He's just going to have to bide his time. I can see JJK being rested for some away trips later in the year, and inevitably some injuries crop up. Second ruck to be more shared, rather than defaulting to Oscar, especially against Grundy.

Wouldn't kill me if Langdon was still out in the cold. If it wasn't for Jones 3 v Dogs and Petch's 4 v Saints, the small forward role (a strength not long ago) has been pretty average this year so far. If Langdon still misses I'd rather play Jones in front of Cripps. If we were playing a final this week, I'd be picking Cripps over both (and holding my nose a bit) but I feel like this should be one of those times were you drop an under performing best 22 player to send a message.

On the small forward situation, whilst Ryan isn't in any danger of getting dropped, he too needs to pull his finger out a bit. He is running on 2020 output but back with normal amount of game time. He's an All Australia now - time to start leading like one.

Our midfield bridge needs to start hitting the scoreboard. They've combined for 3 goals this season so far - 1 each to Kelly, Sheed and Vardy. In 2018 we had Yeo (14), Gaff (12), Redden (10), Lycett (10), Hutchings (9), Sheed (8), Masten (7), Shuey (6) and NicNat (6) combined for 82 goals. That's about 2.5 goals a game we are missing at the moment.

If we don't bounce back this week our season could spiral out of control.

Last edited:
Hai gaiz.

Some spud tagged me, so i'm here now.

Look i will say this, i'm more swol than Langdon.

Fortunately that's not all i have to say. I'm more swol and yet i can barely dob a set shot from 40m. Big frame and big legs in footy means absolutely bugger all. I don't think the gym can help with kicking distance in the slightest. You either have a big kick from a young age or you don't.

Look at some of the beanpoles who could bang the footy 60m in the AFL like Clinton Young & Lewis Jetta.

What's interesting about Langdon, and about buggalugs SGIO whatevers comments, is that we brought him in because he was a quality small pressure forward. He would chase hard, harrass defenders and also pull some decent goals. The stats back that up completely.

At West Coasts it's completely different. Once again, a recruit going to s**t once they join the club and struggle to adapt to our process.

I won't link his averages because he got shitmixed in his 3rd game and only played 8% TOG, so i'll reference the 2 games he DID play.

Taking out his injured game his averages at West Coast are:

10 disposals, 4 contested, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 4 score involvements, 0.1 behinds, 2 clangers, 56.5 metres gained. 71% TOG.

Compare this to his averages at the giants and you can see his tackling has dropped off a bit, also scoreboard impact.

1618239283917.png

He's played 2 games though. I'm not too concerned. It was a good trade that i still rate. Petch will get an extended run now after that gun performance, but Langdon is handy to have waiting in the wings and keeping him honest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back