Preview Changes vs Collingwood - Round 20, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Another one of those weeks when I’m not sure I watched the same game as everyone else.

I thought Brander struggled initially after coming in as the sub, but by the second half he was getting himself involved, looked to be trying to take the game on and even when he ran himself into trouble, he was poised enough to get himself out of it.

But apparently I was watching the wrong guy, and Brander stunk it up so bad he should be permanently dropped to the reserves, or even the reserves’ reserves if we had them.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
I think West will be more than depth. A couple of times I watched him go hard for the ball, got the ball stopped and propped and worked his way through congestion when all Brander did was look backward to release a loopy handball. He is being played wayyyyu out of place and it’s disappointing too see.

beatlesmith

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2006
Roberts Rd
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Cavs, West Perth
Been wrong with players before and hopefully am here. I want him to succeed. It was a shocking game though and an opportunity lost. I'm also on the look out for players who break long periods of positive ball movement with momentum killers and Brander had a couple of shockers. Part of it is coaching but if you are taking posession midfield in space but go backwards without looking forward at options then in a big Balls In no no. Do that and fluff the possession resulting in 5minutes of footy stuck at half back, its a droppable offence.
I don’t think he was shocking but he was definitely timid and conservative with the ball. Not the only one guilty of that in the second half, to be fair.

As much as he was poor in that respect, you yourself have posted before “Branders got that knack of kicking it in a way that creates momentum” so it’s clear that he is capable of much better, more positive footy. What I’m saying is that he is worth persisting with beyond a three quarter sub appearance to reach that again.

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast
Not really fair to be comparing Brander To West IMO.
Brander was a high draft pick.

West is a see ball get ball player and is really IMO a depth player.
Has limited skills but at least he tackles and gets hold of it which is what we need right now.

The thing I don't like about Brander is that he plays timid.
If he can't get that out of his game, he won't make it.
Brander has the mcdougirls about him.

If i had a choice of brander or waterman having my back in a street fight.....definetly taking waterman.

Nuke Fremantle

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2007
Dullsville
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
In: Winder, Witherden, Redden (if fit), Williams
Outs: Ryan, Rotham, Hutchings, Allen (rested)
OUT: M Hutchings, L Ryan (inj), O Allen (rest)
IN:
A Witherden, L Foley, J Brander (last chance saloon)
Out: Ryan (inj), Allen (managed), Hurn (managed), Hutchings
In: Winder, Williams, Witherden, Brander

Hurn to be “managed” so he gets to play his 300th in the derby ;)
Allen looks and plays banged up. Needs a few weeks off IMO

Not sure on changes just yet but anyone on here who's advocated a "rested" or "managed" can give their head a wobble.

1. We're no position to afford that luxury.
2. We're a month from finals. No resting, quite the opposite in fact, pedal to the metal until the Grand Final.
3. We've suffered recently by making too many changes from week to week. Simmo has admitted as much.
4. Everyone gets a week off between Rd 23 and the finals, barring any more COVID drama.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Not sure on changes just yet but anyone on here who's advocated a "rested" or "managed" can give their head a wobble.

1. We're no position to afford that luxury.
2. We're a month from finals. No resting, quite the opposite in fact, pedal to the metal until the Grand Final.
3. We've suffered recently by making too many changes from week to week. Simmo has admitted as much.
4. Everyone gets a week off between Rd 23 and the finals, barring any more COVID drama.
Oscar is injured - he cannot hold the marks he did at the start of the year and needs to get his arm right fixed if we are to do anything in the finals. It is also now impacting his ability to hold a tackle.

Have a look at the footage from the last 2 games. And this week we expect him to ruck against 2 genuine rucks! The guy is wearing an arm splint at training FFS

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Oscar is injured - he cannot hold the marks he did at the start of the year and needs to get his arm right fixed if we are to do anything in the finals. It is also now impacting his ability to hold a tackle.

Have a look at the footage from the last 2 games. And this week we expect him to ruck against 2 genuine rucks! The guy is wearing an arm splint at training FFS
Without him we are a very real possibility not to make finals. We are struggling to make the 8. We have a number of fringe players we have to include through injury and lack of quality (just the result of past draft position and Perth not being a destination for trade). Every possible AFL quality player we can squeeze in is a bonus. We beat the saints beacuse of the efforets of 6-8 expernienced players. Allen does more than many.

Prophets (some) on here see our next key forward as (either) Waterman or Brander - if so we will be out of the 8 for many years.

With Allen, resting/managing/acknowledging he’s injured has several benefits.
1. It opens up a spot to play a genuine second ruck (Vardy or Williams, take your pick) against a side that has an AA ruckman and a genuine second ruck, not a pinch hitter. The alternatives are going super tall, resting/leaving out another key forward, or continuing to ruck Allen when he’s badly banged up.
2. He genuinely looks like he needs a spell. He had five touches and kicked one behind against the Saints. He’s averaging seven touches and less than a goal a game in the last month. That’s the sort of form that would have folks on here clamoring for most players to be dropped, and complaining that they’re being shown favoritism when they’re not.

I’m a big fan of Allen and I’m very sure that his numbers are due to injury(ies), but the solution is to give him some down time, not run him into the ground because we think we’re winning a flag from seventh spot.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pottering

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Redlegs), Hiroshima Carp
Hutchings - didn’t really want him in the side, not sure what role he was playing but he didn’t do much. Brander into the 22.

For whatever reason Simpson used Hutchings in a non-tagging role, had him as a wingman. It has been proven conclusively over a number of years that Hutchings either tags or doesnt play, he hasn't got the creativity or skills to play elsewhere.

Brander looked as lost as always, I just cant see him making it.

Last edited:
Part of me is surprised they don’t put COL-WCE on the Friday night. It would be a better drawing game than Saints-Blues (even though Collingwood are in the bottom four at the moment and our form is patchy), it wouldn’t involve giving either side a 5-day break, and it would give them extra flexibility around fixturing the Demons game the following week.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
4:15 isnt too bad I guess

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
4:15 is a crappy time as it runs through the kids dinner/bath/bed time (sydney based). Will log off and watch it on replay after 7pm. There's worse things in life than having an Eagles game to sit down and watch on a Saturday night though.

4:15 isnt too bad I guess

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Downside for me is it’ll make it 2.15 Perth time which means it’ll clash with the WAFL again, so the Beagles will get ignored unless we manage to get that game shifted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back