Preview Changes vs Collingwood - Round 20, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Of all the ridiculous statements you've made over the last couple of weeks, the above is the least believable.

not the only one but virtually unsighted last 1-2 quarters. Not fit enough for 4 quarters. With 5 years on an AFL list need to have a good hard luck at his preseason efforts.Probably a big reason he can miss sitters and goals when it counts

Anyone saying waterman is a good runner and works hard enough needs a clip

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with the way that large numbers of posters on this board have seemingly just forgotten that Brander was playing good, comfortably first 22 footy for us earlier in the season and that he had established himself on the wing. Go back and look at the votes threads from rounds 3-9. He was consistently among our best 5-10 players.

You'd think based on many of these posts that he's never played a good game in his life and that he's rooted their pets.

Gotta keep giving Brander a go.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure why. Fourth year on the list and nobody seems to know where he should be playing. Unlike the man drafted after him, Oscar Allen who has shown he can play multiple positions, Brander seems unable to nail down any position despite having a go at quite a few. He's 196cm but plays like a 186cm player. His best patches have come when the team is on a roll and is yet to my mind have a breakout game. Other newbies like both Edwards, West and Foley have looked more likely.

Not sure why. Fourth year on the list and nobody seems to know where he should be playing. Unlike the man drafted after him, Oscar Allen who has shown he can play multiple positions, Brander seems unable to nail down any position despite having a go at quite a few. He's 196cm but plays like a 186cm player. His best patches have come when the team is on a roll and is yet to my mind have a breakout game. Other newbies like both Edwards, West and Foley have looked more likely.

As Beatlesmith just said, his position is the position he played early in the season - wing. He averaged 17.5 touches and nearly a goal a game in his first seven games.

None of them may stand out as a breakout game to you but there was plenty there to show he belonged.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with the way that large numbers of posters on this board have seemingly just forgotten that Brander was playing good, comfortably first 22 footy for us earlier in the season and that he had established himself on the wing. Go back and look at the votes threads from rounds 3-9. He was consistently among our best 5-10 players.

You'd think based on many of these posts that he's never played a good game in his life and that he's rooted their pets.
Thats bigfooty in general. Its like Tim Kelly. He plays one average game and people are saying he is the worst recruit ever conveniently forgetting he's been our best mid this year.

As for Brander, I dont think ge was even that bad on Saturday. Sure he wasn't fantastic but not terrible either.

In recent years his excellent WAFL form never translates to much at AFL level though.
I don’t mind vards but the WAFL rarely has any great ruckmen and you should expect a seasoned premiership player like him to dominate at that level. Hutch is also in a similar boat for me.

Last edited:
McDougall wasnt worth keeping though and didn't do anything of note at the Bulldogs.

Yeah no s**t, my point was that we often criticise the Eagles for hanging onto players for too long, and a dud like McDougall being offered a one year deal for 2007 rams it home :drunk:

McDougall lasted 6 years, was offered a 7th for some reason (but he made the choice to leave for two years at the Doggies instead) for an 8 year career.

Fraser McInnes lasted a ridiculous 8 years too, for less than half the games McDougall managed.

Brander is on track for a 10 year career MINIMUM :moustache:

PS: I really hope Brander makes it, but regardless of performance I can't see us delisting him any time soon, and if he ends up at another club, it will be after rejecting whatever we offer him.

Yeah no sh*t, my point was that we often criticise the Eagles for hanging onto players for too long, and a dud like McDougall being offered a one year deal for 2007 rams it home :drunk:

McDougall lasted 6 years, was offered a 7th for some reason (but he made the choice to leave for two years at the Doggies instead) for an 8 year career.

Fraser McInnes lasted a ridiculous 8 years too, for less than half the games McDougall managed.

PS: I really hope Brander makes it, but regardless of performance I can't see us delisting him any time soon, and if he ends up at another club, it will be after rejecting whatever we offer him.
Ah ok. I thought you were getting at us not giving him enough opportunity and he left.

Yeah no sh*t, my point was that we often criticise the Eagles for hanging onto players for too long, and a dud like McDougall being offered a one year deal for 2007 rams it home :drunk:

McInnis didn’t get contracts based on potential tbh. For most of his career he was the third in line KPF and luckily we rarely had to use him. He also got a reprieve when Nic did his knee as he was also seen as ruck depth.

Witherden in for Ryan. Play WItherden more as a wingman. Rotate mids through Ryan's position.

Brander as sub again. He was subbed in before QT so "no sub two weeks in a row" rule need not apply here IMO.

Yep was playing good footy earlier in the year. Gotta find a why to get that back. If he can get back to that level, he becomes an asset. Unfortunately, he was a passenger on Sunday, but hopefully just a sighter as he gets back into the swing of AFL level footy.

EDIT: Allen rested I wouldn't be opposed to. It's gone beyond "young player getting fatigued as the season goes on"... He's playing like he is pretty badly beaten up. In this case, Brander would come in.

EDIT 2: If LEd is fit, he comes in for XON or Hutchings.

Last edited:

Seriously overstating how good he was earlier in the season. He had good moments, and a couple of nice games, but fell away and also had the same ridiculously large gaps in effort and attack on the ball that we have always seen. There are reasons why he didn’t come back in, even when we were at rock bottom.

There are reasons why he didn’t come back in, even when we were at rock bottom.

The main one being the back injury he suffered between the Sydney game and the North game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Updating my changes with the new injury list out.

OUT: Ryan, Hutchings, Allen
IN: Petruccelle, Redden, Williams

I dunno if he's carrying an injury or he's just out of form, but I think Allen deserves a rest.

With redden and petch likely being available i would have

Out Ryan In petrecelle
Out hutch in Redden
Out O'Neill in Brander

Use allen as the 2nd tall back and Gov as 3rd tall/2nd ruck

Earn your 1million a year fat boy and chase Grundy around for a bit

Biggest issue now is how we replace Ryan.

Only forward available is Winder (I’ve put a line through Petch for this week), and he wouldn’t otherwise be talked about for selection, while there’s players in other positions doing their best to bang the door down (Foley, Witherden, Brander, Nelson etc).

So do we go with the best forward available, or try to put a square peg in a round hole?

Biggest issue now is how we replace Ryan.

Only forward available is Winder (I’ve put a line through Petch for this week), and he wouldn’t otherwise be talked about for selection, while there’s players in other positions doing their best to bang the door down (Foley, Witherden, Brander, Nelson etc).

So do we go with the best forward available, or try to put a square peg in a round hole?
Why wouldn't petch play ? They said he had hamstring awareness so they took the cautious approach and didn't play him last week . It sounds like he is good to go this week .
Straight swap for Ryan

Why wouldn't petch play ? They said he had hamstring awareness so they took the cautious approach and didn't play him last week . It sounds like he is good to go this week .
Straight swap for Ryan

Doesn’t quite sound as positive as that - “we’ll see how he progresses through training this week.”

And it’s the third separate time this year he’s missed games with a hammy, so I’d rather they erred on the side of caution.

Out: Ryan (hammy), Allen (managed), Hutchings

In: Nelson, Williams, Redden

In the absence of Ryan, Waterman to play closer to home in the forward line, Nelson to come in to play the high-half forward/wing role Waterman played. Square peg, I know.

Williams in to back up NicNat against Grundy, Allen to be given a chance to get over his injuries.

Redden straight swap for Hutchings. Might push West out to a wing, I’d prefer it was Sheed though.

Brander to be sub again. Ainsworth to fly as the 24th man. Hutchings and … I dunno, Foley? … to be emergencies but play WAFL.

We’re pretty tall and there’s rain forecast, but what else is new.

Both Redden and Petch sound doubtful to me, especially now we are playing Saturday instead of Sunday. Sounds like both are very much touch and go so that extra day might be the difference.
Out Ryan (inj.) In Winder. (Petch if available but not likely)
Out Allen (inj./rest) In Vardy
Out Hutch for Redden only if available otherwise stays in.

Winder is the only small forward left so might be a good opportunity to get a game into him if Petch needs the extra week.
Vards put up a big game in the 2s and with Pies boasting 2 genuine rucks, I think we probably need a genuine 2nd ruck. I dont want Vards in the team but suspect that is what will happen. I called for Allen to be rested last week, he wasn't and again had no impact- his body is ****ed. Risking the health of such a young talent for very little return and against 16th on the ladder doesn't make sense. Get him right before the finals, even if that means a couple of weeks off. On current output, we wont be losing much.

Xon stays in-- he didnt get a lot of it but was given a job of stirring the oppo backs up last week- was quite aggressive. Needs to at least get a second game if we have any intention of developing him.
Same goes for Brander. Didn't like his game, he s**t himself a few times as he couldn't make a decision so ran in circles with a hot potato. Expect better if given the chance to settle as he has shown earlier in the season. Need to back the young guys in a bit rather than 1 game and dropped. Think he gets the sub vest again.

Nelson, Foley and Witherden all looked good in the 2s. If Brander or Xon get dropped it will be for one of these 3 with Duggan pushing up the ground.

A bit like ahchee, a 10yr career with only 1year contracts.
Kinda. Tho I feel like Ah Chee's career would have been a bit different had he been at a club that gave him minutes in the midfield. Port had an unbelievable midfield unit for ages and to extent with us he had heaps in front of him. He's essentially a Ashton Hams.

McInnis didn’t get contracts based on potential tbh. For most of his career he was the third in line KPF and luckily we rarely had to use him. He also got a reprieve when Nic did his knee as he was also seen as ruck depth.
Reasonably common path to tread for taller blokes.

Luke Lowden was on AFL lists for 8 years for one game (against us - 3 goals, which is how I remember him). No midfielder is going to go down that route.

If you're lucky enough to be 200cm+ you've got a much better chance of getting on AFL list than your average Joe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back