Preview Changes vs Collingwood - Round 20, 2021

No healthy small forwards to play.

Tempted to go in unchanged. Pies without Pendles so worth tagging with Hutch to try and cripple their midfield options?

A very uninspiring unchanged, could entertain a Foley in for Hutch just because he showed a bit before, but positionally it doesn’t add up too well.

Foley for Hutch and move Cole up the ground? Dunno. Leaning towards a thoroughly uninspiring unchanged.

No healthy small forwards to play.

Tempted to go in unchanged. Pies without Pendles so worth tagging with Hutch to try and cripple their midfield options?

A very uninspiring unchanged, could entertain a Foley in for Hutch just because he showed a bit before, but positionally it doesn’t add up too well.

Foley for Hutch and move Cole up the ground? Dunno. Leaning towards a thoroughly uninspiring unchanged.

Not sure Ryan is healthy to go in unchanged Badge?

Not sure Ryan is healthy to go in unchanged Badge?
Oh ffs that’s why I went with the small forward line in the first place. Obvious obvious stuff by me. What an idiot. The sub can get in the bin, always *s with me.

Foley for Ryan, make it work. Brander doesn’t deserve a run but we might benefit from it so would accept that too. Not impressive stuff either way.

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
In: Winder, Foley, Witherden
Out: Ryan, Rotham, Hutchings, Brander (medical sub)
Winder hasn't earnt a spot even in the slightest, but he is the only small forward option available.
I'd be okay with dropping Rotham for Foley who never deserved to be dropped in the first place.
Hutchings already looked a bit sore in his first AFL game back, so I'm not sure if he'll last another game tbh.
Redden still a week away, so can't come in.

Last edited:
OUT: M Hutchings, L Ryan (inj), O Allen (rest)
IN: A Witherden, L Foley, J Brander (last chance saloon)

FB: S Hurn, H Edwards, J Rotham
HB: B Sheppard, J McGovern, T Cole
C: A Gaff, D Sheed, L Duggan
HF: J Cripps, J Darling, C West
FF: Z Langdon, J Kennedy, J Waterman

R: N Naitanui, T Kelly, E Yeo

I: X O'Neill, A Witherden, L Foley, J Brander

I don't think Winder will have the fitness at this stage, which is a shame. Have to rotate a few guys forward in defensive forward roles. I seriously would like Allen to have a rest, and I think this is the perfect chance.

Oct 3, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd, Perth Glory.
OUT: M Hutchings, L Ryan (inj), O Allen (rest)
IN: A Witherden, L Foley, J Brander (last chance saloon)

FB: S Hurn, H Edwards, J Rotham
HB: B Sheppard, J McGovern, T Cole
C: A Gaff, D Sheed, L Duggan
HF: J Cripps, J Darling, C West
FF: Z Langdon, J Kennedy, J Waterman

R: N Naitanui, T Kelly, E Yeo

I: X O'Neill, A Witherden, L Foley, J Brander

I don't think Winder will have the fitness at this stage, which is a shame. Have to rotate a few guys forward in defensive forward roles. I seriously would like Allen to have a rest, and I think this is the perfect chance.

Ditto this.

Mulldogg

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Izzy Winder 19d 1.0 and 2 tackles for the Beagles today.

Comes in for Flyin for mine; mainly because the cupboard is bare but they’re half decent stats.

Edit - Hutchings or O’Neill come out before West too if it’s out of those three being in the selection gun.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool // Ferrari
Oh ffs that’s why I went with the small forward line in the first place. Obvious obvious stuff by me. What an idiot. The sub can get in the bin, always fu**s with me.

Foley for Ryan, make it work. Brander doesn’t deserve a run but we might benefit from it so would accept that too. Not impressive stuff either way.
Pav likes this.

Out: Ryan (inj), Allen (managed), Hurn (managed), Hutchings
In: Winder, Williams, Witherden, Brander

Backs: Hedwards, McGovern, Rotham, Sheppard, Witherden, Cole, Duggan
Mids/rucks: Kelly, Yeo, Gaff, Sheed, West, Brander, NicNat, Williams
Forwards: Kennedy, Darling, Waterman, Cripps, Langdon, O’Neill, Winder

Sub: Nelson
Emergencies: Ainsworth (flying), Hutchings, Vardy

Winder as the last cab off the rank straight swap for Ryan. Good opportunity to get a game into him.

Allen looks very banged up and we’re going up against Grundy plus Cameron and potentially Cox. We’ll need the second ruck. I actually don’t mind if it’s Vardy, but I’d prefer to get another run into Williams

Hurn to be “managed” so he gets to play his 300th in the derby ;)

Hutchings - didn’t really want him in the side, not sure what role he was playing but he didn’t do much. Brander into the 22.

I’m assuming none of the injured guys, Barrass, Redden, Petch, Ledwards etc will be available

DickDunn

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd be happy with Winder (if fit) for Ryan as the only change.

Foley medical sub, replacing Brander who shouldn't be anywhere near our 22 until he strings together a run of irresistible form in the WAFL and proves he's up to senior footy.

Calls for Rotham to be dropped are deranged - made a couple of obvious errors but was otherwise excellent. The way he bodylined the loose ball when the Saints were pressing in front of goal - you can't buy that kind of thing

MrWoollie

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2008
England
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lincoln City Imps, West Perth
Out - Hutchings. Despite being good in the WAFL looked like a WAFL standard player at AFL level. He's not the player he was 3 years ago, and it looks like he is now one of those excellent WAFL, no longer AFL standard guys. Like Vards.
In - Brander. Now he is supposedly uninjured, needs the continuity of a few games to get back to the build he was on pre injury.
Out - Ryan (inj)
In - Winder. Not ready but it's a case of last standing.
Out - Allen. Looks banged up and a break that refreshes may be in order
In - With JK, JD, Waterman and Brander, I'd actually be happy with a small in. But we don't have any. So Williams.
Out - either Hurn (managed for 300 at home) or a balance option.
In - Witherden. Only slipped back due injuries to be fair.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
If Izzy Winder is good to go, give him another run, wasn’t a decent shot first time around.

I’ve seen enough of Rotham - drop him before he costs us more goals.

Move Allen back and run with Edwards, Gov and Allen as the defensive talls.

Bring in Foley and request a repeat effort of his last good game off half back.

Out: Ryan (inj.), Rotham (omitted)
In: Winder, Foley

The_Gambler

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2009
Omaha, in middle America
AFL Club
West Coast
- Ryan out: next forward available = winder. Why we never got a back up at mid season draft and picked a HBF is beyond me
- hutchings comes out unless he tags sidebottom. He is only in the team to tag or out
- brander is 0 chance of making it as a midfield, dropped everything that came is way and generally ran round like a stretched masten. Witherden on the wing to give us a penetrating kick forward
- Allen out for Bailey. Can’t mark with that arm, can’t ruck needs rest.
- rotham every week gives away 2 goals and can’t remember him spoiling a ball ever. He is next backmen out for barrass but not convinced foley is a lot better

Back