Changes vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Expect Jonas for Lienert will be the only change.

Big Billy should get a serious look in. Not sure id Drop Marshall though, but needs to have more impact. Drew would be unlucky (100%DE), but could go and move Westhoff full time into the middle.

This isn't at the MCG. Marvel Stadium is a ground that requires fast, direct football - when there is an opening you have to go for it immediately.

I'd be picking Frampton, no questions asked. Plonk him in the goal square and get Marshall out of there - I think that the coaches used the North game as a development game for Todd and played him more as a key forward. I'd still play Marshall, just more as the third tall.

As soon as you've got a contested marking target who can throw his weight around, it forces opposition defenders to cover, which means more space gets opened up for the other forwards. This is why we are playing Adelaide Oval horribly compared to the MCG/Optus Oval - those grounds, the space is created for the forward line by default by the fact that the ground is wide and the pockets are deep. At a ground like AO/Marvel, the ground is narrower so it requires at least one player to be a contested marking threat to generate that space.

Who am I dropping? Willem Drew. Not because Drew has done anything wrong, but because the reality is that he was only ever in the team to replace Wines and we are now getting to the stage where we have to decide whether or not we want to win this game and play a properly balanced team that actually resembles what it will be like when Dixon returns. I'd tell him exactly that too - that he's done absolutely nothing wrong and will be back in the side later in the year.

OUT: Drew IN: Frampton

By picking Frampton, you allow Westhoff/Marshall to push out to a wing and be that conduit on one wing that Collingwood has to push over and cover, freeing up Duursma on the other side. Xavier is playing in the role that Amon was playing at the start of the year and doing a fine job of it, so I don't think we need Karl just yet, especially since Amon is out of contract this year and will probably be looking to go somewhere else anyway.

The only other change I would make, and this is subject to Jonas actually being fit, is this:

OUT: Byrne-Jones IN: Jonas

I'm keeping Bonner, Burton and Howard in the side as the attacking half backs and just telling them to go for it, and putting Lienert, Jonas and Clurey behind them in support. I want to see what that kind of setup can do. I don't think it will happen, it's just what I would do.

Bonner still worries me. Got caught twice for HTB and had another in the last quarter given the benefit of the doubt. Just seems to panic a lot. DBJ is fairly ordinary at the moment. Agreed with other posters that Westhoff and Robbie Gray showed a little bit more improvement. Lienert first match for the year remember, however he will come out for Jonas you would think.
Youve got to be joking - DBJ has been fantastic this year !!!

Dropped or managed, either way Robbie deserves it at this point. It wont happen though. He's keeping the best players off Rozee at worst. Could fire at best.

It would be a brave call to leave him out of the side, but I wouldn't mind that sort of call either.

I think there will be one change at most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love drew, I think that we need to get as many games into drew as possible. Even in his lesser games he has still been a positive, and impacts games for the better. For an inside mid when playing outside he isn’t a plodder and is using the ball well.

Having said that if we need to move him to the sanfl strictly for team balance to bring in a quick running player I understand that

If we are doing that I would rather it’s another player of ports afl future. Amon deserves to be picked and we probably need him in the side

Farrell also deserves to be picked, we could use him in the side. Farrell is much younger and could be a part of our future while Amon could depart us next season

Neither is the wrong call.

I really want the Robbie gray back

Even 20% Robbie is having a positive effect though with regards to how teams prepare structure and play us. I don’t want him out of our side but if it helps him get back to being healthier it’s the move to make

Depends whether it’s something that rest can help or not.

If it would help to rest him the China trip with its long flight, game on a surface that may not be great and following bye might be the best time though??

I'm not necessarily for dropping Marshall but he seriously needs to start clunking some i50 marks. He can't rely on kicking goals from free kicks all the time especially when you play for Port. He's too focused on just getting the ball to the ground so at times it appears he doesn't even go for the mark.

I'm not necessarily for dropping Marshall but he seriously needs to start clunking some i50 marks. He can't rely on kicking goals from free kicks all the time especially when you play for Port. He's too focused on just getting the ball to the ground so at times it appears he doesn't even go for the mark.

Frampton is better performed than he is at the moment. Coaches wont make that call though. We know they dont want Frampton in the side for whatever reason. It's more likely to be Amon for Marshall than Marshall for Frampton. Would be refreshing if they bought him in though.

Robbie Gray 2019

Clearances- 4th
Contested possessions- 4th
Disposals- 5th
Forward 50 ground ball gets- 1st
Goal assists- 1st
Goals- 4th
Ground ball gets- 5th
Marks inside 50- 5th
Score involvements- 3rd
Stoppage clearances- 4th

He is just more human this year. Adjust the expectations and enjoy this champion for who he is right now- which is still a goal and stoppage threat to opposition every single game he plays.

After watching the first half again I’d be loathe to change our midfield as it’s really strong right now.

Particularly against Collingwood who look have the best midfield in the league right now.

I’ll back Schofield in, but I’d be shocked if we drop Drew before Robbie is fully fit. Once that happens Robbie or Ebert can replace him and we bring in another forward.

Out: Lienert/Bonner
In: Jonas

Frampton is a big temptation but I wouldn’t be brave enough to drop anyone for him right now, if I did it would be Drew or Butters.

Lol at calls to drop robbie. I actually feel like he was one player that really started to get involved in the last quarter. There are signs he is just about to break a game a part. And even his bad games are still pretty good.

He has been well down in form but still doing enough to keep his spot.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Marvel is know to be a quick track, I would be looking for leg speed. Amon on a wing for Drew and Johnson onto a Half Forward rotation for "Someone" Jonas will come back in for Lienart, although I thought we looked pretty dynamic when Cluz, Howard, Houston and Lienart were all in the contest!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back