Opinion Changes vs. Collingwood

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yea I can remember Choco making a big deal out of a minor prem. one year. Then we were knocked out in straight sets. Means jack if you don't back it up. It gives you a great platform so let's see where it takes us this year. My minimum tick would be a close fought loss in a prelim. I want more but you know the song.
Yep, you don't get any benefit for finishing minor Premier if you bomb out in finals. Whether there should be a reward of some sort for finishing minor Premier (beyond a trophy no one cares about) is a different matter. With the Home & Away being a Marathon and the finals a Sprint, I'd give the club that wins the minor Premiership $50k prize money and each player who played at least one H&A game $5000 (outside the cap). Nothing huge, but a little recognition they've best mastered the grind of the H&A season.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Counterpoint - we haven't played a game this year with so little on the line.
Couldnt DISAGREE with this more! In context of what we are playing, to me, this is the most important game Port will play prior to finals. Everyone here acknowledges our inconsistency as the big problem. Other issues are player confidence and self-belief, form improvement and continuity.

If we are going to have any hope in the finals against Geelong, Richmond, Wet Toast, and Brisbane, we need to play well on Monday, build on the form of the last few weeks, and beat Collingwood well. The fact that they have something to play is good to, so they will also be wanting to win, and will play a hard game. Its exactly what we need to have, AND need to win leading into the finals.

Our most important game of the year coming up!

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Couldnt DISAGREE with this more! In context of what we are playing, to me, this is the most important game Port will play prior to finals. Everyone here acknowledges our inconsistency as the big problem. Other issues are player confidence and self-belief, form improvement and continuity.

If we are going to have any hope in the finals against Geelong, Richmond, Wet Toast, and Brisbane, we need to play well on Monday, build on the form of the last few weeks, and beat Collingwood well. The fact that they have something to play is good to, so they will also be wanting to win, and will play a hard game. Its exactly what we need to have, AND need to win leading into the finals.

Our most important game of the year coming up!
The counterpoint to that is that then the expectations will come and we haven't dealt with them well historically.

If we lose to Collingwood we could easily go into every game for the rest of the year as underdogs.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm going to be very cross if they don't pick Watts now after throwing his name out there. I need that sexy #23 in my life.

This might tide you over.

JACK ****.jpg

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The counterpoint to that is that then the expectations will come and we haven't dealt with them well historically.

If we lose to Collingwood we could easily go into every game for the rest of the year as underdogs.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Happy to go with the counterpoint, it is outweighed by the positives. This team can beat anyone in the finals, but they are still not playing at optimum IMO. The main problem they have is in-between their ears. For me this is a must-win game.

GoTheMightyCrows

Bigfooty Visionary
Oct 8, 2019
Highland, Albuquerque
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Left field thought- rest Hartlett or Jonas and pick both Watts and Lienert. Have them spend time on a variety of Collingwood forwards- DeGoey, Mihocek, Cox, Grundy- let them know they are competing against each other for the position of back up key defender.

Our key defence depth has worried me all year and with only one game to go, we need to know straight away who can best fill in if we lose a key defender for a final.

Is a player that is rested/managed allowed to play the drums post game or is that a baton that would be passed on?

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Happy to go with the counterpoint, it is outweighed by the positives. This team can beat anyone in the finals, but they are still not playing at optimum IMO. The main problem they have is in-between their ears. For me this is a must-win game.

FWIW I agree. I want us to win and keep winning. Just playing devils advocate.

MrChow

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Left field thought- rest Hartlett or Jonas and pick both Watts and Lienert. Have them spend time on a variety of Collingwood forwards- DeGoey, Mihocek, Cox, Grundy- let them know they are competing against each other for the position of back up key defender.

Our key defence depth has worried me all year and with only one game to go, we need to know straight away who can best fill in if we lose a key defender for a final.
How about we just play the second and fourth quarters with the forwards back and the backs forward.

Players can stay on the field to conserve energy in breaks in their positions.

Ah12

Club Legend
Jan 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lienert looks a defensive liabilty to me when hes caught 1 on 1. Id be bringing in watts if he fails at least we know we gave him a shot. We could instead bring in westhoff to play on a mihochek/hoskin-elliot type.

Mar 22, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Carolina Panther's
And this year with the changes to training numbers and no reserves comp it will be doubly difficult. Crows and Hawks will be finished after next week so no scratch matches with them.
That point and the GF at the Gabba will give the hub clubs an advantage.
6 of the 8 finals teams will be hubbing in Qld
Unless the AFL cancels all
Scratch matches so as not to disadvantage us or WC but I can’t see that happening. Our slow starts are a concern as it is.
Hopefully the club is getting clarification from the AFL.
And when they don’t cancel those scratch matches, nobody will be complaining about us being at a disadvantage, in fact if we do complain everyone will just laugh and tell us to suck it up like the hypocrites they are

Apr 3, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Brooklyn Nets
And this year with the changes to training numbers and no reserves comp it will be doubly difficult. Crows and Hawks will be finished after next week so no scratch matches with them.
That point and the GF at the Gabba will give the hub clubs an advantage.
6 of the 8 finals teams will be hubbing in Qld
Unless the AFL cancels all
Scratch matches so as not to disadvantage us or WC but I can’t see that happening. Our slow starts are a concern as it is.
Hopefully the club is getting clarification from the AFL.
If our premiship tilt is reliant on the back of some mickey mouse scratchies mid week then we are no flag threat at all, of all the things we could complain about, cahn

Mar 22, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Carolina Panther's
We should be aiming to win and come top of the ladder, it’ll give this group more experience in regards to overcoming pressure and expectation, something we’ve been severely lacking under Ken. Think of it as the first test this year to finally grab ‘expectation’ by the throat and rise above it once and for all. Hopefully this’ll make our group stronger mentally!

True__Believer

All Australian
Aug 18, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We should be aiming to win and come top of the ladder, it’ll give this group more experience in regards to overcoming pressure and expectation, something we’ve been severely lacking under Ken. Think of it as the first test this year to finally grab ‘expectation’ by the throat and rise above it once and for all. Hopefully this’ll make our group stronger mentally!
That will only happen once we beat Geelong on a final

Back