Preview Changes vs Dees (Rd 19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course they are. They've won more games. What better metric is there to compare sides? How can you make a case that the Dogs are better than Collingwood? Gut feel?
I find this interesting actually. The best team on the day wins, but in a competition that's so damn close the best team on the day is not necessarily always the better team, if we define the better team as one that would win the majority of say, 100 simulated matches. Of course we can't do this in reality, but sometimes it's nice to think about. i.e. the 2010 GF between the Saints and Collingwood. The Saints would have been the "best" team that year if the ball bounced the other way for Milne in GF1, but the Pies were clearly the better team that year (in my mind and I think most others, and somewhat confirmed by GF2)

I am in good faith Sweet offered nothing more then mediocre tap work why on earth would he get a game with that without injuries to English?

Don’t forget Sweet has played 10 games.

He’s no world beater no one claims that.

Can you recall English first 20 plus games ?

Last edited:

I am in good faith Sweet offered nothing more then mediocre tap work why on earth would he get a game with that without injuries to English?
Sweet has played parts of 11 games, who would know if he is going to be any good? We do know that he will not be a ruckman with the dogs. He is 24, ever heard of Roger Merrett or Kevin Walsh? Both players much maligned by the injectors supporters and took years to become premiership players. It is a fact that talls take longer to develop and also that doing the same thing and expecting a different result is a farce.
Your unrelenting criticism of Sweet could be applied to English and his lack of physical presence at bounces and throw ins but most here prefer to focus on his strengths and what he brings around the ground.

The best team on the day wins, but in a competition that's so damn close the best team on the day is not necessarily always the better team

In what sense are they not always the better team? If you believe in a causal, deterministic universe, then replaying that game under those exact circumstances would lead to the same result every single time. Or are you implying that there is some quantum randomness at play? Some universal random number generator or dice roll? How do you quantify that?

That ball, in the St Kilda vs Collingwood GF, was always going to bounce that way. It was decided at the Big Bang. It always did and always will bounce that way. Time is a flat circle.

Sweet has played parts of 11 games, who would know if he is going to be any good? We do know that he will not be a ruckman with the dogs. He is 24, ever heard of Roger Merrett or Kevin Walsh? Both players much maligned by the injectors supporters and took years to become premiership players. It is a fact that talls take longer to develop and also that doing the same thing and expecting a different result is a farce.
Your unrelenting criticism of Sweet could be applied to English and his lack of physical presence at bounces and throw ins but most here prefer to focus on his strengths and what he brings around the ground.
English has actual strengths yes I think he can be very soft around the ground and for ball ups and needs to learn to drive his knee into his opponent’s but he is elite in a number of stats for his position Sweet is below average for 90% of his

English was 19 and had no meat Sweet is 24 and has the size

And it’s exactly why I would personally play Sweet because he has size.

English is now older? but in your own words in a post above English “can be very soft around the ground “

I like Tim but I prefer my rucks to ruck and not be another midfielder especially when we have our midfield.

If you think that you're discussing things in good faith then we're done here.
Define good faith if you can tell me what Sweet offers other then average tap work Im happy to discuss. This whole out midfield struggles without a 1st ruck has been disproven multiple times and Sweet offers nothing up forward so please tell me what Sweet offers to our team

And it’s exactly why I would personally play Sweet because he has size.

English is now older? but in your own words in a post above English “can be very soft around the ground “

I like Tim but I prefer my rucks to ruck and not be another midfielder especially when we have our midfield.
Sweets not much better Ned Reevs dominated him for a half 3 weeks ago

Sweets not much better Ned Reevs dominated him for a half 3 weeks ago

And Tim was done over by Reid of Swans who is not even a ruck let that sink in Reid not their first second or even third ruck that should be more of a concern to you than Sweet getting beaten by Reeves.

Again Sweet has played around 10 games

And Tim was done over by Reid of Swans who is not even a ruck let that sink in Reid not their first second or even third ruck that should be more of a concern to you than Sweet getting beaten by Reeves.

Again Sweet has played around 10 games
Again English kicks goals takes marks and gets the ball to make up for his average ruckwork what does Sweet do to make up for his average ruckwork? I could name 35 rucks/forwards before him without even trying he is not a good player at all and am mystified by the lengths the few of you go to justify playing him other then the “vibe” science and statistics show the earth is round but do you just have a “feeling” it’s flat despite what all the evidence points too?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again English kicks goals takes marks and gets the ball to make up for his average ruckwork what does Sweet do to make up for his average ruckwork? I could name 35 rucks/forwards before him without even trying he is not a good player at all and am mystified by the lengths the few of you go to justify playing him other then the “vibe” science and statistics show the earth is round but do you just have a “feeling” it’s flat despite what all the evidence points too?

Maybe it is a vibe maybe it’s something that stats can’t explain but we win more often when he plays from a small sample.

I would love to know how our midfielders feel when he is out there because he is a big body to have around

You have made you point Sweet is not a good player at all you have decided this and I can’t see that changing for you.

Hope we win tomorrow and Tim is BOG I will be happy and in tradition have a dozen jam donuts on my way out.

Maybe it is a vibe maybe it’s something that stats can’t explain but we win more often when he plays from a small sample.

I would love to know how our midfielders feel when he is out there because he is a big body to have around

Hope we win tomorrow and Tim is BOG I will be happy and in tradition have a dozen jam donuts on my way out.
Our Mids have never had a dominant ruck and are always top 5 for clearances rucks are not important Gawn was the first decent premiership ruckman in a decade and if they don’t do anything around the ground they quickly find their way out of the team

In what sense are they not always the better team? If you believe in a causal, deterministic universe, then replaying that game under those exact circumstances would lead to the same result every single time. Or are you implying that there is some quantum randomness at play? Some universal random number generator or dice roll? How do you quantify that?

That ball, in the St Kilda vs Collingwood GF, was always going to bounce that way. It was decided at the Big Bang. It always did and always will bounce that way. Time is a flat circle.
Yep, but I'm talking about the same two teams playing multiple games, i.e. not the same exact circumstances. North beat Richmond last week, but I believe Richmond are the better team. If Gil looked after the Tigers this year and had scheduled them to play North every week from Round 1 to Round 23, the Tigers would probably by something like 19-3. Last week just happened to be one of the theoretical 3.

And I think what many people believe has happened this year is that the Pies have done really well to be where they are. They've been the best team on the day many times when they could just as easily have lost. If this season could be 'simulated' many times over, the Pies would more often than not be below where they are right now. Would we be above where we are? Maybe, but I don't think by all that much.

This is all rubbish imaginary talk anyway, and would be completely irrelevant if Bevo had have just played Sweet every week. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back