Preview Changes vs Dees (Rd 19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Who plays on Pickett? Red?
Don't need someone to sit on him the entire game like a Charlie Cameron. What I want to see in regards to Kozzie is someone to lay him on his arse when he tries his late physical bumps after a tackle or kick. Never gets called for any of it (see last years game at the G, headbutts Richards and nothing).

If Naughton is available then it will be a tough night at selection this week.

If your of the school that we can't win without both English and Sweet -as I am- then with Naughton in and Beveridge clearly - based on his post match presser wants to play Bruce - we look a little too tall and who the hell do you drop?

Perhaps the primary reason Beveridge doesn't like to play Sweet is that he is not much of a forward and so he requires an extended period on the bench, which reduces the rotation numbers available for other players. So, if you are going to play Sweet and English you almost need someone like Hunter - who can normally run out a game without a rest. If I remember Bevos presser correctly Hunter didn't actually have any symptoms but just tested positive. If so this is a possibility but I acknowledge that Hunter has not been in the best form.

I think the candidates for being dropped are: McNeil, Weightman, Hannan and Williams

I get the feeling Beveridge has a soft spot for Weightman. Weightman has been ordinary but he has the knack of kicking 2-3 quick goals and turning a match. I also get the feeling Bev likes Hannan for the speed he adds down back. Hannan's defensive attributes are weird and sometimes really bad but his turn of pace down back certainly had an impact against the Saints. This would mean McNeil and Williams out for Naughton and Hunter. On the other hand, the versatility that Williams offers in covering problems that might arise down back will also be on the match committees mind. Thus dropping Williams is also difficult.

The easiest thing for Bev to do is just drop Sweet for Naughton. Of course, I think this would be a disaster. When English has his breaks and as he tires from the load, the Melbourne mid-field will make hay - and whatever chance we have of winning will have been disappeared. A straight swap of Bruce for Naughton would make more sense.

What I would do:

Out: Weightman, McNeil
In: Naughton, McClean

This would leave us a little too tall but neither May nor Lever really run off their opponents much. May will stick with Bruce and try to help who ever is on Naughton. And with both English and Sweet drifting forward it may be just the formula to give Naughton the freedom he likes. What could make this work is instructing H-Hagan to play a more defensive ground game and leave the flying for marks to Bruce and Naughton.

I reckon Weightman has not been himself ever since he hurt his elbow - he does not have the same confidence going for his marks and is less effective on the ground.

McClean if he is ready - offers more grunt than McNeil and is just a shrewder decision maker.

Last edited:
Williams has been pretty atrocious all season. Slightly better at wing but still not great. How many more credits does he have in the bank?

To be honest I'd like Hannan, Williams and Sweet out of the side.
Would like Schache and Naughton back. I can see the value in keeping Bruce to get him up to speed but he was pretty bad on the weekend.

I don't think we have enough backmen available at the moment. People say we are stocked with attacking half backers but really we only have 3 AFL quality ones on the list and as soon as one is out, our drive is severely depleted. Being forced to play Hannan and Treloar back there shows our lack of depth in the area.

I tried to do a team but I just couldn't get it to fit so I gave up... selection will be very interesting this week. Lots of different ways we could go.
I can't fathom what's going on with Williams. He seems like he is running through treacle and therefore rushes his kicks and fluffs too many of them. Huge drop-off in form. Like you, I struggled to pick a side this week given we have so many down on form. This week I feel for the Match Committee.

If Naughton is available then it will be a tough night at selection this week.

If your of the school that we can't win without both English and Sweet -as I am- then with Naughton in and Beveridge clearly - based on his post match presser wants to play Bruce - we look a little too tall and who the hell do you drop?

Perhaps the primary reason Beveridge doesn't like to play Sweet is that he is not much of a forward and so he requires an extended period on the bench, which reduces the rotation numbers available for other players. So, if you are going to play Sweet and English you almost need someone like Hunter - who can normally run out a game without a rest. If I remember Bevos presser correctly Hunter didn't actually have any symptoms but just tested positive. If so this is a possibility but I acknowledge that Hunter has not been in the best form.

I think the candidates for being dropped are: McNeil, Weightman, Hannan and Williams

I get the feeling Beveridge has a soft spot for Weightman. Weightman has been ordinary but he has the knack of kicking 2-3 quick goals and turning a match. I also get the feeling Bev likes Hannan for the speed he adds down back. Hannan's defensive attributes are weird and sometimes really bad but his turn of pace down back certainly had an impact against the Saints. This would mean McNeil and Williams out for Naughton and Hunter. On the other hand, the versatility that Williams offers in covering problems that might arise down back will also be on the match committees mind. Thus dropping Williams is also difficult.

The easiest thing for Bev to do is just drop Sweet for Naughton. Of course, I think this would be a disaster. When English has his breaks and as he tires from the load, the Melbourne mid-field will make hay - and whatever chance we have of winning will have been disappeared. A straight swap of Bruce for Naughton would make more sense.

What I would do:

Out: Weightman, McNeil
In: Naughton, McClean

This would leave us a little too tall but neither May nor Lever really run off their opponents much. May will stick with Bruce and try to help who ever is on Naughton. And with both English and Sweet drifting forward it may be just the formula to give Naughton the freedom he likes. What could make this work is instructing H-Hagan to play a more defensive ground game and leave the flying for marks to Bruce and Naughton.

I reckon Weightman has not been himself ever since he hurt his elbow - he does not have the same confidence going for his marks and is less effective on the ground.

McClean if he is ready - offers more grunt than McNeil and is just a shrewder decision maker.

Correct. It’ll be Sweet. It has to be. We’re way too tall if we bring in Naughts and keep Sweet. He also ain’t dropping Bruce.

Big responsibility for Tim. He’s had a poor two weeks.

I'd probably go something like this...

In: Hunter, Naughton
Out: Sweet, Williams

Backs: Keath, Gardner, Buku, Dale, Treloar, Richards, Hannan
Mids: English, Bont, Libba, Dunks, Macrae, Smith, Hunter, McNeil
Fwds: Naughton, Bruce, JUH, West, Cody, JJ, Garcia

With Hannan to play as 2nd ruck.

Other option is dropping Bruce to bring in Schache to play 2nd ruck. I can see both pros and cons with that.

In all likelihood Naughton will come in for Sweet. This means either Naughton or Dunkley/Macrae will be relieving English. I hate it but that’s what I can see happening. We never rotate a defender into the ruck so that rules out Hannan/Khamis

In all likelihood Naughton will come in for Sweet. This means either Naughton or Dunkley/Macrae will be relieving English. I hate it but that’s what I can see happening. We never rotate a defender into the ruck so that rules out Hannan/Khamis

Cordy has taken the ruck a fair bit in his time, don't see why we wouldn't use Hannan and Khamis/Bruce to same effect.

We have played Melbourne 3 times in 2021 and already once in 2022.

In Most of those games we have shown glimpses that when we are on Melbourne have been exposed.

Bev and Co should have learnt much from these games so I think team selection, game plan and mindset is on Bev and the players.

Melbourne is coming back from Alice Springs and we know what they will bring, this is a great opportunity to beat them we just need to be smart in areas noted above and we will be around the mark.

My expectation is we should win.

Anyone referring to the Hannan "experiment" down back should look at the pre-match exchange when Daisy Pearce asked Bevo that exact question, i.e. "does the Hannan experiment down back continue for another week?"

He quickly advised her it wasn't viewed internally as an "experiment", but due to Duryea and Daniel being unavailable it is a required change to generate speed and creativity in their absence.

So for better or worse, and regardless of what we all think in here, sounds like until either of those two are back, Hannan remains a vital part of the back 6 according to Bevo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone referring to the Hannan "experiment" down back should look at the pre-match exchange when Daisy Pearce asked Bevo that exact question, i.e. "does the Hannan experiment down back continue for another week?"

He quickly advised her it wasn't viewed internally as an "experiment", but due to Duryea and Daniel being unavailable it is a required change to generate speed and creativity in their absence.

So for better or worse, and regardless of what we all think in here, sounds like until either of those two are back, Hannan remains a vital part of the back 6 according to Bevo.
He said as much in the mid-week press conference after the Sydney game. Something about applying player capabilities to the roles within the team so we can play our brand as he referenced Daniel and Doc being out of the side. And he believes it should be able to happen straight away without many teething problems.

Speed and creativity is bloody useless if you turn the ball over every time you dispose of it.

I’m so sick of Bevos just complete disrespect for hitting targets - he’s got specific non negotiables for his team, yet doesn’t give a * if you’re literally allergic to hitting a simple 25m kick.

Turnovers are so costly in footy, especially with our weak defence and aggressive set up. Yet he’s happy to place ball butcherers in key spots on the ground?

Bloody painful honestly, can accept a few players throughout the team who butcher it a bit who have other obvious strengths like Baz, Treloar, Dunks, Naughty but when you’re already carrying those guys you can’t afford to fill the flanks with nothing role players who avg 8 touches a game and butcher 6 of them.

It’s genuinely killing us when you throw in the other tactics that are hindering our defence too - and a weak defensive line to begin with.

We have played Melbourne 3 times in 2021 and already once in 2022.

In Most of those games we have shown glimpses that when we are on Melbourne have been exposed.

Bev and Co should have learnt much from these games so I think team selection, game plan and mindset is on Bev and the players.

Melbourne is coming back from Alice Springs and we know what they will bring, this is a great opportunity to beat them we just need to be smart in areas noted above and we will be around the mark.

My expectation is we should win.
Oh mate I’ve fallen into this trap that many times this year too when I think we’ve turned the corner. Unfortunately it’s the same thing again here, beat up on a diabolically bad side but whilst I agree we absolutely should be competitive and a red hot chance to win, I suspect we crumble once again. This brand of footy is just unable to beat good sides right now unfortunately

Speed and creativity is bloody useless if you turn the ball over every time you dispose of it.

I’m so sick of Bevos just complete disrespect for hitting targets - he’s got specific non negotiables for his team, yet doesn’t give a * if you’re literally allergic to hitting a simple 25m kick.

Turnovers are so costly in footy, especially with our weak defence and aggressive set up. Yet he’s happy to place ball butcherers in key spots on the ground?

Bloody painful honestly, can accept a few players throughout the team who butcher it a bit who have other obvious strengths like Baz, Treloar, Dunks, Naughty but when you’re already carrying those guys you can’t afford to fill the flanks with nothing role players who avg 8 touches a game and butcher 6 of them.

It’s genuinely killing us when you throw in the other tactics that are hindering our defence too - and a weak defensive line to begin with.

If you said that to Bevo, you just know he would double down. Could almost feel him bristling when Daisy asked him the question anyway.

Don't know where else to post this. The Injury thread seems to have disappeared. Where's VDM, btw?

He's playing VFL.

Parker was available last week from a hamstring and is now 4-6 weeks with the hamstring. We seem to have a high rate of recurrent soft tissue injuries.

Glad to hear it’s not permanent and is just a needs must situation.

Don't know where else to post this. The Injury thread seems to have disappeared. Where's VDM, btw?

Glad to hear it’s not permanent and is just a needs must situation.
Hannan's interview after the game seemed a little contrary to that. It might have been forced due to some personnel issues but Mitch is under the impression that Bevo likes the attributes that he brings to that role and will continue with it for at least the rest of the year. We had plenty of other genuine options that could've taken Hannan's spot for the Sydney game (Crozier, Buku, Cleary) but he chose Mitch.

Treloar's move down back was purely due to Daniel's absence which I can understand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back